Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Whats Better Liquid or paste wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 12:22 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Question Whats Better Liquid or paste wax?

which one lasts longer and which is better?

By the way i am going to be purcasing Zaino products soon and i am wondering are there polishes liquid or paste?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2002, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
carnuaba paste waxes usually last longer than their liquid counterparts. Zaino is a liquid but it is not a "wax" it is a paint sealant. 2 coats of Zaino should last around 4-6 months.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by AlBoston
carnuaba paste waxes usually last longer than their liquid counterparts. Zaino is a liquid but it is not a "wax" it is a paint sealant. 2 coats of Zaino should last around 4-6 months.
2 coats right away. I mean after i did the whole car with one coat. i do the whole thing over with a seconed coat? or do i wait a day?

Does it give the same protectant as a wax? if u use 2 coats of Zaino is it correct that i dont need to wax my car ever if i keep using Zaino every 2 months?

thanks
Old 07-20-2002, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 2-Seater Roaster & A 4-Door AMG & 2008 S550
I just got my Zaino couple days ago. They are amazing! Very worth it.

You should wait at least 24 hrs before you apply the next coat of Zaino.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe

2 coats right away. I mean after i did the whole car with one coat. i do the whole thing over with a seconed coat? or do i wait a day?

Does it give the same protectant as a wax? if u use 2 coats of Zaino is it correct that i dont need to wax my car ever if i keep using Zaino every 2 months?

thanks
Well If u use ZFX you can apply one coat, buff off, spray with Z6, apply another coat, buff off, Z6, apply another coat, buff off. ZFX allows u to do 3 coats in one day. Otherwise yes you have to wait 24 hours at least between coats. And yes 2 coats of zaino will last 2 months, probably more.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
so if i use the Zaino i will not need to ever use wax? does it give the same protection as wax would, like against the sun?

Also i was intrested in getting Z2 how many coast should i do of that?
Old 07-20-2002, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
so if i use the Zaino i will not need to ever use wax? does it give the same protection as wax would, like against the sun?

Also i was intrested in getting Z2 how many coast should i do of that?
lol i like a person that asks a lot of questions, i do the exact same thing . Nope, no need for wax if you have Zaino. Zaino is a paint sealant, its basically a wax that chemically bonds to your paint instead of just floating on top of you paint like a carnuaba wax, this is why Zaino has such excellent durability. This is actually the reason u must remove all waxes with a dawn wash before using Zaino, so the Zaino can bond to bare paint. Zaino gives much better protection against sun damage than regular wax, it is actually equivialant to SPF 40 i believe. You can check their sight www.zainobros.com for more info on that. For a black car i would get both Z5 and Z2. Those pics in the thread i post "flawless black paint" that was only with 3 coats of Z5/ZFX. I plan to top it with Z2 as it is more "optically clear" and provides a higher gloss. For me my goal is 3 Z5/ZFX and 3 coats of Z2.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:50 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Sorry for asking so many questions the reason i ask is because if i buy the Zaino i will not buy anything else again (like wax) so for my black car i should use use Z5 and Z2. in which order? Z5 first then Z2? and do i need to wait after i take the Z5 off to put the Z2 on? Or do it right after?

I am pretty lucky and i dont have many swirl marks on my car so should i still use the Z5?

Also on my silver CLK is it ok to just use the Z5 forever.

Sorry for all the questions i just dont want to do anything wrong.
My cars always looked good with just the Meguairs gold calss wax but i am hoping the Zaino will make it look better and keep it prtected better.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Sorry for asking so many questions the reason i ask is because if i buy the Zaino i will not buy anything else again (like wax) so for my black car i should use use Z5 and Z2. in which order? Z5 first then Z2? and do i need to wait after i take the Z5 off to put the Z2 on? Or do it right after?

I am pretty lucky and i dont have many swirl marks on my car so should i still use the Z5?

Also on my silver CLK is it ok to just use the Z5 forever.

Sorry for all the questions i just dont want to do anything wrong.
My cars always looked good with just the Meguairs gold calss wax but i am hoping the Zaino will make it look better and keep it prtected better.

Thanks for your help.
hehe no problem dude, I am here to answer your questions . I would order both, some people prefer Z5 on black some prefer Z2. I like Z2 because of that extra gloss it gives over the "deepness" of Z5. Sal Zaino always recommends your last coat to be Z2 because of its better optical clarity, so on silver i would definitely use Z2. I would use Z5 first and then Z2, see which you like better, this is also the order they recommend on the zaino website. Yes u do need to wait 24 hours after taking Z5 off to Z2 unless u have used ZFX. Z2 Z3 and Z5 are all the same paint sealant except, Z3 is Z2 with special additives to help non clearcoated finishes and Z5 is Z2 with an agent that helps fills swirls marks. Z5 however does provide a slightly different look on black than Z2, Therefore I recommend you get both and experiment! Please post pics and your results! Thanks!
Old 07-21-2002, 02:18 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by AlBoston

hehe no problem dude, I am here to answer your questions . I would order both, some people prefer Z5 on black some prefer Z2. I like Z2 because of that extra gloss it gives over the "deepness" of Z5. Sal Zaino always recommends your last coat to be Z2 because of its better optical clarity, so on silver i would definitely use Z2. I would use Z5 first and then Z2, see which you like better, this is also the order they recommend on the zaino website. Yes u do need to wait 24 hours after taking Z5 off to Z2 unless u have used ZFX. Z2 Z3 and Z5 are all the same paint sealant except, Z3 is Z2 with special additives to help non clearcoated finishes and Z5 is Z2 with an agent that helps fills swirls marks. Z5 however does provide a slightly different look on black than Z2, Therefore I recommend you get both and experiment! Please post pics and your results! Thanks!
Thanks alot for your help. It will definitly come in handy and when i'm done i will definitly post pics.

Also before i apply the Zaino can i use any dishwashing soap or does dawn do anything special?

But in the mean time till i order it and it gets here, back to the question about the meguairs #9 swirl remover if i just put it on and once its dry wipe it off and dont put a coat of wax over it is that still helpful? or does it not serve a purpose without wax on top of it.

Thanks alot for your help, thanks to u when i'm done my car will look better than new.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get some Zaino Z-6 also. Use it between coats of Z-5/Z-2. It makes the finish appear deeper. Z-6 is a great quick detailer for clean light dirt between washes. I carry a bottle and micro fiber cloths to clean up bird droppings, bug splats etc.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Lynn
Get some Zaino Z-6 also. Use it between coats of Z-5/Z-2. It makes the finish appear deeper. Z-6 is a great quick detailer for clean light dirt between washes. I carry a bottle and micro fiber cloths to clean up bird droppings, bug splats etc.
I think i will get some of that to. It seems like the same idea as the meguairs quick detailer, only better.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz

Thanks alot for your help. It will definitly come in handy and when i'm done i will definitly post pics.

Also before i apply the Zaino can i use any dishwashing soap or does dawn do anything special?

But in the mean time till i order it and it gets here, back to the question about the meguairs #9 swirl remover if i just put it on and once its dry wipe it off and dont put a coat of wax over it is that still helpful? or does it not serve a purpose without wax on top of it.

Thanks alot for your help, thanks to u when i'm done my car will look better than new.
No prob dude, I recommend ordering ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z6 and Z7. The zaino wash and quick detailer really make the system better, u will notice the shine will increase after a Z7 wash, really is amazing. Anyway, I like the blue dawn because it is fragrance free and has no lotion. Any dishwashing soap will do as long as it doesnt have any lotion or moisturizers(skin friendly). The idea is to cut the grease(wax) on the car. Meguiars #9 has a lot of oils and fillers so it may protect the car till the zaino arrives, but a week without wax is no big deal, just be careful with swirls and scratches. Also you shouldn't apply meguiars #9 like a wax, because it isnt one. It is a polish which means there are abrasives that cut through the paint to remove swirls and oxidation. You should rub the #9 with a clean foam applicator into the paint (firm pressure at first), then lighten the pressure as the product begins to dry. Keep rubbing until it buffs itself off. Remember only a small amount of polish is needed, a dime size for a 2ft by 2ft section is about right. Same goes for Zaino, do not slop it on, this will only make it harder to buff off. Use very little product, I can get about 4-5 coats on my Lexus IS300 from 1 ounce of zaino.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:18 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
thanks for the helpful info.

just one thing u did not really answer if i use the #9 Swirl remover and do not put a coat of wax over it, is it still help full?

thanks