Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

interior mod (designo-style stone look) thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
interior mod (designo-style stone look) thoughts

I have been searching and searching for an interior trim to replace my (ugly in my eyes) "textured" aluminum interior on my C320 Sport. I was looking at designo interiors and noticed that they offer some really spiffy-looking stone on the higher-end cars. I would love that look. But, none offered on the W203 so I couldnt just order the parts. But, I'm thinking, how hard / expensive would it be to do it myself? I'm the kind of person who likes to do stuff like that himself. I haven't even seen this in person so I have no clue what it looks like. Not sure if they even used real stone. And, I'm not sure if I used real stone how thick it should be since it's pretty heavy stuff... but when you get stone really thin it gets weak. Not to mention cutting it to all of those complex shapes along with curves and such. BUT can you imagine how AMAZING it would be to have actual real marble or other stone OOOH I just had another idea... gold-filled engraved designs for accents. Hmm... I swear, I'm going to end up owning a high-end custom interior vehicle design company. But, anyhow, do you folks have any ideas on this? Also, there's always this option- http://www.phoenix-image.com/Automotive.htm
Old 12-05-2005, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had a friend that did this himself on a ZX-2... looked great for about 3 months... then paint began to chip, and scratch off etc.... LOOKED LIKE *****.... from there on out...

he sanded primed and clear coated it, and it still looked like @ss after a while. Another friend of mine did this to an ALTIMA... same thing, but he didn't prep all that well, hence his chipping and scratching.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
Originally Posted by Justinius7
i had a friend that did this himself on a ZX-2... looked great for about 3 months... then paint began to chip, and scratch off etc.... LOOKED LIKE *****.... from there on out...

he sanded primed and clear coated it, and it still looked like @ss after a while. Another friend of mine did this to an ALTIMA... same thing, but he didn't prep all that well, hence his chipping and scratching.
hmm well I'm talking about using actual real stone. problem is granite is pretty tough stuff and not particularly easy to cut. i don't really know anything about alternatives.

and the link i posted is hydrographics. It's not actually paint, it's a different process. Plus, they coat it with a glossy protective material to keep it safe.