Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Silicone in wax -- bad or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 11:37 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K
Question Silicone in wax -- bad or not?

I'm thinking of using 3M Perfect-it Wax, but I see it contains "Acrylic Silicone Fluoropolymer (A.S.F.)."

Is Silicone as bad as some detailers say? I see a lot of detailers avoid products with silicone because they believe it prevents paint from adhering to a vehicle; i.e., if you ever need to re-paint or touch-up your car you're S.O.L. if you've used waxes with silicone.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty of information along the lines of Silicone being a great protectant for finishes. It sure is in a lot of products, so I'm wondering if it can really be all that bad. Maybe I'm naive, but I assume any decent paint shop could strip off any type of wax before repainting an auto surface.

I'd like to hear some more opinions. I wonder if there's general agreement in this forum.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S 600
Blacfire, PS21 Carnabu, Klasse and Zanio will all give you much better results for shine and protection.

The talk of silicone is bodyshop talk....using 3M adhesive remover will prep your paint for touch up just fine.

In the bodyshop you can't use a silicone based polish since buffing the paint layer before clearcoat coat with a silicone would not allow the clearcoat to adhere.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally don't like silicone waxes because it doesn't wash off easily with dishwashing soap if you want to buff it and it would gum up my buffing pad if I leave it on. Also body shops hate it because the paint avoids the contaminated spots and leaves little dimples. It's hard to remove it all, even with the right chemicals because the rags used to remove it become contaminated and spread it around and most bodyshops are in a rush to get your car back to you. Besides, the cheap waxes that have silicone don't do that great a job. I agree with MarcManiac, use a good product like Klasse or Zaino.