Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

I just bought a buffer/polisher and i want to know how to use it. LOL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 10:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Lightbulb I just bought a buffer/polisher and i want to know how to use it. LOL

I am asking because i dont want to rewin any of my cars with it.

it came with 3 different pads 1 terry one. and one white synthetic wool and another tan color synthetic wool same thing just different color. dont ask me why though.

I always thought i would put the wax on by hand with a foam pad, and i could take off the wax with the buffer. Well in the instruction manual it says to use it to put on wax.

so basicly alot of u here know alot about this so please tell me full instructions on how to use it like:

can i use it to take off the wax? to put on the wax? or both?
which pad should i use for what? and just the basics i need to know so i dont rewin my cars.

and i am guessing i can use it for polish to. But right now i am more concerned with wax.

thanks alot, any help would be apprechiated.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
I'm sure you won't rewin any of your cars. In fact I'm almost positive.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by WyattEarp
I'm sure you won't rewin any of your cars. In fact I'm almost positive.
i am sure i wont. But some guy that repaird one of my cars bumper once said not to ever use a buffer to much because u will thin out the paint. I dont belive this guy at all with anything, he was very weird.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:59 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Cant someone give me a real response on this thread. I was hoping to try it out today.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Buellwinkle should be able to guide you here. He uses a buffer on his car. You may wish to PM him and direct him to this thread.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by awiner
Buellwinkle should be able to guide you here. He uses a buffer on his car. You may wish to PM him and direct him to this thread.
yeah i might do that.

Thanks

Or maybe AlBoston will reply.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Ouch 2 wool and 1 terry pad? Those will swirl up your paint in no time. What kind of buffer is it? If it was me I would return that buffer, go to your local Lowes and buy a porter cable 7336SP random orbital polisher. And then order the pads accessory kit from www.properautocare.com I use this on every vehicle I detail, and well the results and pictures speak for themselves .
Old 07-26-2002, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250 Coupe 2012
I bought the Orbital buffer from Meguiars and used it to apply the cleaner,polish and wax, came out great and you do not have to worry about burning the paint. Great for removing marks, I am sold.
Tom
Old 07-26-2002, 11:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by AlBoston
Ouch 2 wool and 1 terry pad? Those will swirl up your paint in no time. What kind of buffer is it? If it was me I would return that buffer, go to your local Lowes and buy a porter cable 7336SP random orbital polisher. And then order the pads accessory kit from www.properautocare.com I use this on every vehicle I detail, and well the results and pictures speak for themselves .
I bought it at Pep Boys i just wanted to see if i would like how it works because i never used a buffer before i always put my wax on by hand. I used it today to put the swirl remver on a i think i see more swirls with it i am going to return it. and buy a better one. Just out of curiosity how does one buffer work different from others? is it all the buffer or is it the pads? if its the pads i will just buy better ones but i dont think it is.

i am really not looking to spend alot on one. I would like to spend less than $100.00 is that possible for a good one. What should i look for in one to find out if its good or not.? Or do u know of any that are inexpensive and good?

thanks
Old 07-26-2002, 11:48 PM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
I'm still sure you will not rewin any of your cars
Old 07-26-2002, 11:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by WyattEarp
I'm still sure you will not rewin any of your cars
i think i did already after applying a swirl remover with a crappy buffer i think i have more swirls.
Old 07-27-2002, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
yea i said it, wool will swirl your paint if used incorrectly. The buffer u got has a very weak motor and cannot break down polishes properly. Also the pads you used are awful. I suggest getting a Porter Cable 7336SP and buying that pad kit from www.properautocare.com It comes with different grades of foam pads, wool pads, velcro backing plate, and terry cloth bonnets(which will swirl paint). I suggest getting this, it will pay for itself with all the time and headache u save.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
yea i said it, wool will swirl your paint if used incorrectly. The buffer u got has a very weak motor and cannot break down polishes properly. Also the pads you used are awful. I suggest getting a Porter Cable 7336SP and buying that pad kit from www.properautocare.com It comes with different grades of foam pads, wool pads, velcro backing plate, and terry cloth bonnets(which will swirl paint). I suggest getting this, it will pay for itself with all the time and headache u save.

i am going to lowes and getting that buffer right now.

when i come back i will use it.

Also when i applyed the swirl remover i used the terry pad. Which pad should be used to apply a wax ot polish.

I will be back in an hour with the porter cable buffer.
Old 07-27-2002, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250 Coupe 2012
Go to Meguairs, you know, and look at their store. For 229.00 you get the Orbital buffer (Porter Cable 7336SP ) guarantee for life and all their cleaning products. ( the buffer on the internet it 200.00 by it's self. I know it's more money, but you have to great cars to keep clean ( blacK) Also look at their video on the buffer, it will let you know how and the results. I got mine and no marks and the car looks great.
Tom
Old 07-27-2002, 05:09 PM
Almost a Member!

I would go to Lowes and buy the Porter Cable 7336 Polisher for $109 at the most. I bought mine for $109, but I heard of someone recently buying one for $97. Then I would go to Classic Motoring Accessories and get their Porter Cable Accessory Kit . The kit comes with a velcro backing plate, and a nice assortment of pads.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
well i went to lowes today and they did not have any porter cable buffers they said that i will have to order it and it will take a month. I asked if any other lowes around here has them and he said none in south florida stock them i can only order it. Well to just make sure i went to another lowes and he was right. They only had one buffer there and it was $15.00 and it was crappy so i did not even think of buying a bad one again. So i left.
After driving around and thinking where i could get one i tried Home Depot. And they also did not have any porter cable buffers. They had 2 kinds One 6 inch turtle wax brand which was cheap. and did not even come with a terry cloth pad. And another 10" Ryobi orbital buffer which looked much better and it came with a terry cloth pad and another pad to take the wax off. I am forgot why kind of material it was but it was very soft. With not much of a choice in buffers i really did not like the way my car looked all swirled up. So i bought the Ryobi and i came home and used the terry pad to apply meguairs gold calss wax and i used the other pad (sorry i forgot what its called) to take it off. And while i had half the car done i pulled it out of my garadge into the sun and there was not one Swirl i can possibly see and my fingers just slide off the car if i touch it. It came out alot better than when i ever just hand waxed it. So for now i am very happy with the results i dont think it can look better so i am going to keep it for now. And if i dont like it i can always return it for the Porter cable.

I would have taken pics but when i finished it was already dark out.

I will try to take them tomarrow.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
hmmm, coastal tool has an excellent deal on porter cable buffers. They include a 6 inch counter weight and a velcro backing plate with the PC 7424! It is $119, and with the velco backing plate you can use the excellent pads bjwebster recommended(Those are the ones I use). I will post the link to the deal on that buffer.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:42 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
hmmm, coastal tool has an excellent deal on porter cable buffers. They include a 6 inch counter weight and a velcro backing plate with the PC 7424! It is $119, and with the velco backing plate you can use the excellent pads bjwebster recommended(Those are the ones I use). I will post the link to the deal on that buffer.
when u post that link i will take a look at it and still think of buying it. But i was so suprised how the one i got did such a nice job.
I am glad all the swirls are gone, my car was never swirled up in till i got the crappy buffer.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
here is the link BlackC230Coupe.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...htm?E+coastest
Old 07-28-2002, 11:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
here is the link BlackC230Coupe.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...htm?E+coastest
thanks for the link. I will keep it in my favorites so when i want to order it i will from there.

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity how do some buffers say they will not burn the paint? what do those have different?
Old 07-28-2002, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
this buffer i recommended will not burn your paint. Only a rotary style buffer will burn your paint if left running in one spot for more than 10-30 seconds. Rotary buffers should only be used by very skillful detailers, even I am scared to use one. The porter cable is a random orbital buffer and does not heat the paint finish.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
this buffer i recommended will not burn your paint. Only a rotary style buffer will burn your paint if left running in one spot for more than 10-30 seconds. Rotary buffers should only be used by very skillful detailers, even I am scared to use one. The porter cable is a random orbital buffer and does not heat the paint finish.
i dont think i would ever use a rotary style buffer eaither.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:02 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
here are some pics of my car after i used the buffer and waxed it.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
pic 2
Old 07-31-2002, 12:10 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
last

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I just bought a buffer/polisher and i want to know how to use it. LOL