Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Toughguard Wax..really worth it???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a Few Nice cars.
Toughguard Wax..really worth it???

Has anyone heard or used this Wax thats suspost to give you 5 years of protection without the use of ANY OTHER WAX??? Toughguard is the name of it and the web site it www.Toughguard.com
Old 01-04-2006, 07:01 PM

no wax or sealant will give you 5 years of protection. Anyone who says so is taking advantage of you. Dont get hagged into those dealership paint protection programs either. All they use is a polymer sealant. if you want a durable sealant, i would suggest zaino. if you want a wax, i would recommend fk1 pink wax, poorboy's natty blue (for dark colors)
Old 01-05-2006, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Originally Posted by pte55amg
no wax or sealant will give you 5 years of protection. Anyone who says so is taking advantage of you. Dont get hagged into those dealership paint protection programs either. All they use is a polymer sealant. if you want a durable sealant, i would suggest zaino. if you want a wax, i would recommend fk1 pink wax, poorboy's natty blue (for dark colors)
Very much agreed with this post. I'd rather have the pleasure of waxing the car myself every few months. Can't hurt to wax yourself.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Lifetime Paint Protection:
There is no polymer, synthetic or natural wax, or after-market product available that can provide a (2 or 5 year) lifetime protection to a paint film surface.

The primary protection provided for a modern water-based colour coat is a polythene paint that has a thickness of 2-3 Mils (0.002-0.003") this is protected by a sacrificial barrier of wax or synthetic polymer sealant.

This barrier is all that stands between the environmental contaminants (ultra violet radiation, acid rain, ozone, industrial pollution, rain, road dirt and tar, etc) and the paint film surface. This renewable barrier is less than 0.000001" thick. While it’s true that a polymer paints melting point is 350+oF, it is still subject to evaporation and erosion by the elements and vehicle washing. However its durability is approximately five or six months.

The technology for a lifetime protection for a vehicles paint film surface does not currently exist.
Most dealerships rely on the fact that few customers read the fine print on the contract; the PermaPlate box says is must be reapplied every 6 months and every 3 months on darker coloured cars.

While it will not provide ‘lifetime’ protection go to a Chrysler or Dodge dealer and get them to apply the Daimler-Chrysler Master Shield sealant, this product provides both real protection and a real warranty for any make of vehicle.