Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Tree SAP on my Blk E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 W164 BlueTec, 09 E82
Tree SAP on my Blk E

Guys..I parked under a tree and got tree sap (very small specs) all over my blk E. I can rub them off my with nails but too many to do manually and the micro-fiber cloth won't even move it.

What is the best way to remove these?? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Wash, clay, wax.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
This is an old thread but I'm browsing through, so thought I'd post for anyone searching.

Clay will work but there's an easier, quicker way: alcohol. Tree sap is quite soluble in alcohol even after it's been dried and baked on by the sun. I have access to laboratory grade ethanol, which works like a charm, but rubbing alcohol should be pretty good too. A couple of wipes with an alcohol-soaked cloth and it's gone. Thicker deposits come off with just a little more rubbing. You'll need to rewax the spot.

Last edited by lars; 09-20-2006 at 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rubbing alcohol is great for sap and bird droppings. Is there stronger concentrations of alcohol available commercially?

Another big problem with the sap or bird droppings is that it can etch into the clear coat and leave a "ring". To get rid of the ring you generally need a two step polish like the Poorboy's World SSR 2.5 and SSR 1.0. This will remove the "ring" for good not just cover it up.

Greg @ Detailed image
Old 09-22-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Bird Excrement:
(Or insect excrement like Gypsy moth, June bug, Honeybees, etc) contain highly acidic concentrates (uric acid (pH 3.0-4.5) which if left for any length of time the will cause the porous clear coat to occlude (a non-transparent ‘clouded’ area) or may cause etching (a depression in the paint or glass surfaces) Heat (vehicle paint temperature of 90oF+) creates a very aggressive reactivity of the acids that are present, which causes surface etching, so they should be removed without delay, at lower temperatures (40oF or less) there s no reactivity and therefore no etching.

No wax or polymer sealant can provide a permanent shield against acidic bird excrement (Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is probably the most durable Carnauba wax product) but this may only provide enough of a barrier to enable it to be removed quickly before causing too much damage to the paint film surface.

Birds use gravel to help digest their food so grit and sand are some of the major components, which can cause scratching. Insect honeydew (sometimes mistaken for tree resin) excreted by aphids or scale insects that infest the leaves and branches is also acidic. Residue should be removed (see below) as soon as possible as it could compromise the clear coat.

Take your time and be careful with its removal, these acids should be removed and/or neutralized as quickly as possible. Using an IPA (isopropyl alcohol) no ammonia based (ammonia acts as an acid accelerant) glass cleaner or a gel alcohol hand cleaner (Purell®) place a small amount on to a first aid gauze pad and apply to effected area this will help it stay in place during the necessary dwell time. The alcohol content, acts as a drying agent, which will extract the acid, then thoroughly flush with water to rinse away any grit or sand, etc or use detailers clay to encapsulate it, re-spray the area let it dwell for 2-3 minutes and wipe dry.

Avoid using a QD spray to flush residue, as they contain either carnauba wax or polymer sealants, which will seal the acid and not allow it to dissipate. Using an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water (to neutralize the acid) as soon as is practical is highly recommended, if the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated .If the paint or glass surface has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish (Zaino PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleanser and then apply a paint protection).

Do not scrub hardened/dried excrement residue as it is very abrasive and will scratch the paint surface, once they are softened (re-liquefied) it enables their removal with less likelihood of damage to the paint surface

The paint system is porous; when you add water and heat to an acidic substance it will erode the paint system very quickly (the heat opens microscopic fissures in the clear coat allowing ingress, the water provides a carrier system for the acid, and heat acts as a catalyst each time water is reintroduced the acid will be reactivated).
The paint surface should be periodically neutralized / decontaminated (See also Reactivity)
(Automotive International A B C Decontamination / Neutralization wash system (http://www.autoint.com )
Old 09-22-2006, 11:49 AM

2003 E500
Wow, that was a host of knowledge there! Thank you.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Rubbing alcohol is great for sap and bird droppings. Is there stronger concentrations of alcohol available commercially?
Yes. Fondue fuel, for example, is fairly pure methanol but I don't know if it's safe on paint and I've never used it for that purpose. Methanol is a very strong solvent. Alcohols, like conventional brake fluid, absorb water from the air and absolutely pure grades are unavailable. Laboratory grade ethanol, at 95% alcohol and 5% water, is the purest commercially available.

You could try a pharmacy for high-concentration ethanol or isopropyl alchol.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:17 AM

2003 E500
A line of products for bikes I commonly used when detailing professionally can be found here: http://www.showbike.org/

Great stuff, easy to use, and great people. The Professional Kit will last you for years, and has just about everything you would need.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
A guy on another thread swears by Rain-X as the best way to get tree sap off, but I'm not sure it would be advised for the whole car.