Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Did I mess up by getting PERMA PLATE on my car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Did I mess up by getting PERMA PLATE on my car?

I just got the benz perma plated yesterday it looks clean but it doesnt have much of a shine like it used too...I have no idea if anyone has tried this stuff but some people told me it will ruin your car forever that the paint will be ruined if you put any carwash shampoo on it.

I am really sad and distraught Did I mess up my car for life.

please tell me any of your stories if you guys used perma plate good or bad.

They also put leathergaurd on my interior is that bad?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
stff but it looks like it's just wax. You should be able to remove it with Dawn (make SURE you wax it after you wash with Dawn).
Old 02-03-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by e1000
stff but it looks like it's just wax. You should be able to remove it with Dawn (make SURE you wax it after you wash with Dawn).
you want me to ruin my car?

dawn is bad for a car anycar! my sister washed my dads old benz with dishwashing soap and ruined it.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by DreamCast
you want me to ruin my car?

dawn is bad for a car anycar! my sister washed my dads old benz with dishwashing soap and ruined it.
A dawn wash will not ruin your car. It is commonly used as a prep wash to strip grease and old wax from cars. Once washed, your car is exposed to the elements (UV etc.) so a quality protective coat (wax/show car polish) should be used right after.

For normal car washes, a good quality car wash soap should be used, which will not strip off any wax or polish.

If you're still scared to used dawn as a prep wash, you can just go over your car with a detailers clay bar and this should also remove any old wax. In fact, I would recommend this in addition to the dawn wash.

Most likely your dad's old Benz was ruined because nothing was ever used to protect the finish once the dawn wash was done.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by revstriker
A dawn wash will not ruin your car. It is commonly used as a prep wash to strip grease and old wax from cars. Once washed, your car is exposed to the elements (UV etc.) so a quality protective coat (wax/show car polish) should be used right after.

For normal car washes, a good quality car wash soap should be used, which will not strip off any wax or polish.

If you're still scared to used dawn as a prep wash, you can just go over your car with a detailers clay bar and this should also remove any old wax. In fact, I would recommend this in addition to the dawn wash.

Most likely your dad's old Benz was ruined because nothing was ever used to protect the finish once the dawn wash was done.
Did they change the formula? cause In the 80s my sister was like 7 years old and washed my dadys car using dishwashing soap and the car was ruined she mixed it with ajax.

I dont know man I wouldnt take a chance wouldnt it better just to buy car shampoo?
Old 02-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Did they change the formula? cause In the 80s my sister was like 7 years old and washed my dadys car using dishwashing soap and the car was ruined she mixed it with ajax.

I dont know man I wouldnt take a chance wouldnt it better just to buy car shampoo?
now ajax is an abrasive and will cause permanent damage to your car. Dawn however, as mentioned above, will remove all wax/polishes and leave your clearcoat exposed. if left in this state, yes, it will ruin your finish. If a wax is applied just after washing with Dawn, your car will be ok.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
well Perma plate is just a sealant that coats your clearcoat. it will wear off in time. if you want a nice shine and a very good paint protection I would use Zaino its the best wax I have ever used. I did use Dawn to strip the old wax and dirt on the paint. then I clayed the car after then waxed it.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:49 PM

now ajax is an abrasive and will cause permanent damage to your car. Dawn however, as mentioned above, will remove all wax/polishes and leave your clearcoat exposed. if left in this state, yes, it will ruin your finish. If a wax is applied just after washing with Dawn, your car will be ok.

ok so what if i never got a perma plate or any wax on my car...for example

I go to the deal buy my new benz but never wax it or put perma plate on it would it still last strong? or will the car be ruined with nothing on it?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time

I go to the deal buy my new benz but never wax it or put perma plate on it would it still last strong? or will the car be ruined with nothing on it?
Yes, over time, your clearcoat will lose it's luster without any wax or polish. It may take weeks, months, or even years (depending on climate, treatment), but given enough time and exposure, it will happen.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car

Ahhh, yes. As e1000 stated, Ajax WILL damage your car. It is a "scouring" detergent which means it acts kind of like sandpaper when you rub with it. It's designed to help remove baked on food, etc.

Regular Dawn (make sure you use regular - I think it's blue or green) will not hurt your car if you use it as a prep wash. If you use it regularly on an un-treated car, it could damage the clear coat.

Car wash soap will not remove the sealant finish, as it's designed to work with it.

If you never put anything on your car, eventually your clear coat will wear out due to exposure to the elements (acid rain, salt, UV rays, etc.) and you finish will dull. No amount of wax or polish (no matter what the TV commercials say :p ) will bring back it's shine.

At the VERY LEAST, you should apply a coat of spray wax to your car, the kind you get at the car wash. This does not last for very long, but it will help protect it. Can't say too much for the shine though.

If you really want to protect your car AND have it look good, then you need to invest some time and money in a good product. Stay away from automatic car washes if possible (their commercial soap and recycled water is much harsher than what you can do with your own garden hose and quality car wash soap). Take the time to strip (dawn wash), clay, and protect your finish with a good quality product (I prefer Zaino for it's ease of use and shine quality). Then, try to wash your car once a week, and after 3-4 initial coats of Zaino (they don't have to be done all at once), I would apply a new coat ever 3 months. Every 12-18 months, I would start over with the dawn, clay, etc.

Best of luck.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:24 PM

Ahhh, yes. As e1000 stated, Ajax WILL damage your car. It is a "scouring" detergent which means it acts kind of like sandpaper when you rub with it. It's designed to help remove baked on food, etc.

Regular Dawn (make sure you use regular - I think it's blue or green) will not hurt your car if you use it as a prep wash. If you use it regularly on an un-treated car, it could damage the clear coat.

Car wash soap will not remove the sealant finish, as it's designed to work with it.

If you never put anything on your car, eventually your clear coat will wear out due to exposure to the elements (acid rain, salt, UV rays, etc.) and you finish will dull. No amount of wax or polish (no matter what the TV commercials say :p ) will bring back it's shine.

At the VERY LEAST, you should apply a coat of spray wax to your car, the kind you get at the car wash. This does not last for very long, but it will help protect it. Can't say too much for the shine though.

If you really want to protect your car AND have it look good, then you need to invest some time and money in a good product. Stay away from automatic car washes if possible (their commercial soap and recycled water is much harsher than what you can do with your own garden hose and quality car wash soap). Take the time to strip (dawn wash), clay, and protect your finish with a good quality product (I prefer Zaino for it's ease of use and shine quality). Then, try to wash your car once a week, and after 3-4 initial coats of Zaino (they don't have to be done all at once), I would apply a new coat ever 3 months. Every 12-18 months, I would start over with the dawn, clay, etc.

Best of luck.

wow that sounds complicated! what is zaino and clay?

Oh gosh no wonder my folks cars are dry and dead they were ruined big time lol I should have at least waxed it.

so I should only use dawn? not the car wash soap i have?

Can you post some pictures of the right dawn to buy and the zaino?

I was wondering what about just taking it to the body detail shop and have them wax it with zaino every time its needed?

Thanks! I hope it helps me save instead of paying the 650 for the perma plate every 6 months.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
ONLY use dawn if you plan to give the car a nice coat of wax right after you wash.

use car wash soap if you want to wash the car without waxing it (most of the time you'll do this).

Yes, you can take it to the body detail shop and have them wax it every couple of months to keep the car looking good. Of course, a lot of members on this site like to do all this by hand for that extra love and care.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:48 PM

ONLY use dawn if you plan to give the car a nice coat of wax right after you wash.

use car wash soap if you want to wash the car without waxing it (most of the time you'll do this).

Yes, you can take it to the body detail shop and have them wax it every couple of months to keep the car looking good. Of course, a lot of members on this site like to do all this by hand for that extra love and care.
How does one find the time to do that extra love and care? lol

so basically car wash soap helps wash the car and prevent stripping of wax...while dawn helps strip the wax off so you can apply a new coat of wax.

How long does a good zaino clay wax thing last?

what about interior they put perma plate on that too should I put stuff inside or just let it as is?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350

Oh gosh no wonder my folks cars are dry and dead they were ruined big time lol I should have at least waxed it.

Can you post some pictures of the right dawn to buy and the zaino?

I was wondering what about just taking it to the body detail shop and have them wax it with zaino every time its needed?

Thanks! I hope it helps me save instead of paying the 650 for the perma plate every 6 months.

http://www.zainostore.com/
Old 02-03-2006, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Before I Zaino(ed) my car, I stripped off the prior wax layer by using dish soap.. it is absolutely harmless to your car... it's harmful to wax however.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:53 PM
M.J

E-240 2000 , E-240 2001 , CLS350 2006
dawn dawn dawn, every where i go everybody advice to use dawn, AREN'T THERE MILLION OF DISH SOAP IN THE MARKET TO BE USE BESIDE DAWN !!!
Old 02-03-2006, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by M.J
dawn dawn dawn, every where i go everybody advice to use dawn, AREN'T THERE MILLION OF DISH SOAP IN THE MARKET TO BE USE BESIDE DAWN !!!

If it makes you feel better, I used Palolive...
Old 02-03-2006, 06:59 PM
M.J

E-240 2000 , E-240 2001 , CLS350 2006
Talking

Originally Posted by CE750
If it makes you feel better, I used Palolive...
her you go there are other products beside dawn :p
Old 02-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by M.J
Yes there are, but a lot of them contain "other" ingredients that may be harmful, such as abrasives. Some of these may be labled in "fancy" names such as "with Power Cyrstals" etc. Not to mention that Dawn is a VERY good grease cutter compared to others which is needed to help strip off the wax.

Originally Posted by CE750
If it makes you feel better, I used Palolive
I'm not sure this is a good idea. Doesn't Palmolive contain something that's suppose to "moisturize" your skin? Maybe Aloe or something? I would make sure this is a safe product before attempting to use it to prep wash my car.

Not all of these product are interchangeable.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
It sounds more complicated than it is. Zaino is a show car polish. Clay (detailer's clay) is a product that looks like silly putty that's used to rub over the finish of your car. It removes tiny particles that embed themselves into your clearcoat and cannot be removed by just washing. There are many good brands of detailers clay including one from Zaino. When done claying, the the surface of your car should be very smooth; perfect for applying wax.

Use dawn as a prep wash, that is, before you wax. Use Car wash soap for regular washes.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:50 PM

It sounds more complicated than it is. Zaino is a show car polish. Clay (detailer's clay) is a product that looks like silly putty that's used to rub over the finish of your car. It removes tiny particles that embed themselves into your clearcoat and cannot be removed by just washing. There are many good brands of detailers clay including one from Zaino. When done claying, the the surface of your car should be very smooth; perfect for applying wax.

Use dawn as a prep wash, that is, before you wax. Use Car wash soap for regular washes.

THANKS BRO!

Also ya palmolive contains lanolin i think or aloe and other stuff.

Should I just get the basic orignal dawn the one they sell at the 99 cent store?

so in like 6 months when my perma plate starts wearing down I can strip it with dawn? or will dawn be too weak since perma plate is a polymer.

plus after washing it with down and drying it with a chamois how long should i wait before waxing it?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
As has been stated your paint surface has not been ruined by the application of Perma Plate, the only damage that's been done is to your cheque book.

Read the fine print in the contract offered by car dealerships, there is normally a clause that states you should return the vehicle for a "maintenance" application of the product (at 3 or 6 months intervals) failing to do this will void your warranty or the fine print will basically exclude every condition you could claim against. They tel you to do this because like most polymer sealants it wears off in time (so much for a life time warranty against you having to 'polish your vehicle)
Old 02-04-2006, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Looking at this I recall when I went to order my car at the dealership. I saw a kid of my age that bought a brand new CLS500 in black opal and took it on a road trip to Maryland and back. He was complaining to the service manager that his hood got chips and scratches all over. At that time I think that would be pretty standard for taking a road trip in your brand-spankin'-new Benz. Later it turns out that he fell for the dealership's sales tactic of tagging on extra service at the end and he bought the WHOLE package (extended warranty, wheel warranty, Simonizing or whatever it's called). He thought his car should be invincile afterwards......... I actually felt sorry for him. When I went pick up my own car, they tried to pull the exact same trick on me. They even went as far as to telling me that the rims that Luke sells are FAKE. Of course, I politely turned down the offer.

There's just no way around a nice hand wash and hand waxing. Using those spray on products just won't cut it.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:42 AM

Thanks guys!

Yes I was fooled by the perma plate!

That is cold how if you do not bring it back in 6 months they will discontinue the warranty. That is exactly what they said to me you need to bring it back but i didnt realize i had to pay for it they made it sound like i never had to pay for touch ups again!

I will wax the car myself seems like fun especially if you know your the one doing it you feel safer.

Ok now I need to know the tools I need.

The wax and wash
The applicator
the towels what do you guys use please?

thanks again.

this board is great.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Check the stickies in the detailing forum.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did I mess up by getting PERMA PLATE on my car?