Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

clay useage.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E220cdi ,2004 E500
clay useage.

hi everybody.
i would like to know what the people who are using clay on your cars paint are thinking with?
i have one of the biggest car detailing shops in sweden and i almost fell of my chair reading some of our members suggestions on when to use clay.
clay is indeed a very useful paint cleaner but it also makes a serious amont of tiny scratches all over your car. in the detailing world clay is used before you are going to machinepolish a car and after the polish you need to put at least a good wax to protect the cars paint or it will start to oxidize quickley. the best way to preserve you car is always a sealant. the protection of the wax will no matter what the manufacturer say start to lose effect after the first wash.
good washing/goygoy
Old 02-27-2006, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Good tip. Thanks for chiming in. It's true that claying can mean swirls, but I try to minimize the blemishes using paint cleaners.

What brand sealant do you use?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:56 PM

2001 E220cdi ,2004 E500
hi!
instead of using the clay have you tried using som kind of solvent/remover? (there is a name for this kind of products but i donīt know the english name for it) if you have some tar stains you only have to use a petrol based remover and it will dissolve when washing the car.
i use 2 different brands one is called silver seal and is a one component sealhttp://www.autosmart.co.uk/. The other one is called DiTec and is a two component seal http://www.ditec.dk/ditec.htm. the first one is for the customers that donīt want to pay so much for the seal, DiTec is by far the best brand in the world wich numeros of studdies has shown but it is rather expensive but is also the only one i will use for my cars.