Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

What is "ORANGE PEEL" ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What is "ORANGE PEEL" ?

I searched but couldnt find a definitive answer on this side all i know is it says black cars get orange peel?

what is that and anyone have photos and what causes orange peel?
Old 05-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
I've been told (on another forum) that orange peel is like the texture of the paint. It's not smooth (it is smooth, but not baby's bottom smooth), and has like little tiny bumps, similar to what you'd see on an orange peel.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:12 PM

ah and how does that occur?
Old 05-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
I'll go search for it. It was on a Lexus forum.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
From what I can gather from all the different threads, orange peel happens because the paint is partly water-based (I guess), and not as much oil-based as it used to be. I guess it's a consequence, if you will, for having tighter restrictions to protect the environment.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:29 PM

Damn

I was wondering because on this bottle of ZYMOL liquid cleaner wax i got it says to spritz some water on the zymol after applying while your are buffing and polishing it down...do you think that can cause orange peel?
Old 05-28-2006, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Orange peel is usually caused when the paint is applied, and in most cases it is caused by surface contamination. Silicones found in some polishes are the usual culprit. There are a number of other problems that occur with fast drying materials, or poor technique in application. These would most often appear in refinishing done in body shops that are not the most professional, or shade tree operations like you find all over Brazil.

I don't know how you could cause orange peel to appear on a cured finish.

Here is more reading for those that are so inclined:

http://hoodfinishing.com/images/ORAN...%20Article.htm
Old 05-29-2006, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
The only thing that causes "orange peel" is the way the paint is applied. Newer cars have a lot less than they used to...robots are getting smarter. Its just a slight texture to the clearcoat. Benz is actually pretty flat...mine is anyway.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:37 AM

orange peel is a term used to describe a paint finish that is textured-ie the surface of the paint looks like an orange. plenty of new cars have it it's caused usually by improper flow out or sometimes the wrong gun tip-sometimes a poor finish can look like this when your car is repaired the only way to fix it is color sanding and buffing which depending on the cure of the paint can sometimes not be done ie paints too hard
Old 05-29-2006, 12:39 AM

Vader- awesome stable of vintage muscle man
Old 05-29-2006, 05:39 PM

Personally I've seen the greatest Orange Peel on Honda's and Lotus'

I tell all my customers, the only way to remove it is many hours of tedious "wetsanding" , then re-polish. Its not something I recommended either but some people want to rid of it.

Words can describe it, but I've found some pics for you. See the "bumps" in the texture paint.

Pre wetsanding. See the texture

Post wetsanding: See the surface texture has a lot less of those little lines. Could have gone a little further, but again, there's no real need to.

I hope this helps put a picture in your mind, from the good words in the past posts.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by tummbler
Personally I've seen the greatest Orange Peel on Honda's and Lotus'

I tell all my customers, the only way to remove it is many hours of tedious "wetsanding" , then re-polish. Its not something I recommended either but some people want to rid of it.

Words can describe it, but I've found some pics for you. See the "bumps" in the texture paint.

Pre wetsanding. See the texture

Post wetsanding: See the surface texture has a lot less of those little lines. Could have gone a little further, but again, there's no real need to.

I hope this helps put a picture in your mind, from the good words in the past posts.

wow ya it does look like orange peel or acne scarred cheeks.

thats crazy you would expect lotus to have top notch paint jobs wow....
Old 05-29-2006, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Originally Posted by sid 951
Vader- awesome stable of vintage muscle man
Thanks Sid...I love my hi-po cars and Chevrolet in general. Tummbler...people need to be VERY careful when wet sanding a new clear coated car...they do not put a whole lot of paint film on and if you go thru...you are screwed....
Old 06-11-2006, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Good discussion, great illustrations above.

I have also seen "orange peel" (also called "stippling") be caused by using an incompatible paint over another coat of paint. For example, MB approves only certain paints. I had some supermarket cart dings repaired on a black '00 S500, and the body guy disregarded my instructions to use an approved paint. The non-approved paint reacted with the original paint (I had even looked up the brands for him). The initial job looked great - but 2 months later, the stippling was clearly visible, and buffing (without removing the clearcoat) wouldn't take it out.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Angry Skylaw

Your unfortunate experience reminds me of a job I had done on one of my Porsche 911s.

I STUPIDLY decided to change the color after having some body work done, and chose a guy who had an "excellent" reputation here.

I ordered EOM german lacquer from a dealer, and gave it to the guy along with my pride and joy. I began to have problems with the paint job, and told the painter. He argued about it, and he blamed the paint.

I had some left, and had a lab test it (for free because I had a friend who worked there). It turned out that the dumb SOB didn't use the proper lacquer thinner!

I was incensed, needless to say. The guy reluctantly gave me some of my money back.