Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Zaino Z2 or Z5???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
magLipVE
Zaino Z2 or Z5???

this is probably not the room for this topic, but i'm looking to get an answer quickly...

I'm applying zaino for the first time and wondering which one to use? Just washed the car with dawn liquid soap. Both bottle says "car polish", so i'm a bit confuse

I do notice the Z5 says removes swirls and the Z2 doesnt say anything...
Old 06-15-2006, 10:36 PM

06 CLS55
out of all the waxes that I used this by far was the best. I used the z7 and it worked great. It was extremely confusing to use but if you go on their website you can find insgtructions on how to apply them.

Good luck!
Clos
Old 06-15-2006, 10:39 PM

magLipVE
unfortunately, i didnt buy the z7. Only Z2 and Z5, along with some clay stuff...

Is there a difference between z2 and z5?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:50 PM

06 CLS55
I think the difference is in the time between coats of wax. Since I purchased the z7 it had an accelerator that allowed me to add another coat with out having to wait an hour.

they also had a difference in the fact that one was more abrasive than the other. IU would test it in a small area before you decide which one to use.

Have you gone on their site. I know they have a customer service number that you can call where they will tell you how to apply it.

Clos
Old 06-16-2006, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
u cant apply Z2 or Z5 without ZFX or Z1, and this is moving to the detailing forum.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:53 AM

magLipVE
Originally Posted by Kar don
u cant apply Z2 or Z5 without ZFX or Z1, and this is moving to the detailing forum.

thanks for your response and sorry for the post. needed some fast advice... i went ahead and applied z5. Cant really tell since its night time, have to wait until tommorow morning to see if zaino did the job.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:30 AM

CLS55 AMG
no Dish Washing Liquid!

I have heard Dish Washing Liquid is for washing dishes only! They have a tendancy to be harsh and strip off wax.
Ajay
Old 06-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by spinsonic
this is probably not the room for this topic, but i'm looking to get an answer quickly...

I'm applying zaino for the first time and wondering which one to use? Just washed the car with dawn liquid soap. Both bottle says "car polish", so i'm a bit confuse

I do notice the Z5 says removes swirls and the Z2 doesnt say anything...
You should use Z5 if you have swirl marks that you want to hide (It will not remove them as it is non-abrasive). If you do not have swirl marks, then you can use Z2 (assuming we're talking about a clear coat car here). If you do use the Z5, only apply enough coats to hide the swirl marks. It is recommended that you finish with a coat or more of Z2 as the Z2 will give you a deeper shine.

As always, you must use Z1 before either Z5 or Z2. You can eliminate the need for Z1 by adding the ZFX accelerator to the Z5/Z2. Also, if you are using the Z1 with the Z5/Z2, you have to wait 12-24 hours between each coat. With the ZFX, you do not have to wait, and can apply up to 3 coats in one 24 hour period.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by clos
out of all the waxes that I used this by far was the best. I used the z7 and it worked great. It was extremely confusing to use but if you go on their website you can find insgtructions on how to apply them.

Good luck!
Clos
Z7 is a car wash soap.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by BlackCard
I have heard Dish Washing Liquid is for washing dishes only! They have a tendancy to be harsh and strip off wax.
Ajay
The purpose of using Dawn Dish Washing Liquid is to strip off any old wax, along with any dirt and grease build up on the car. This is a step that you do prior to applying your wax/polish/sealant. There is nothing in Dawn Dish washing Liquid that will cause damage to your finish. However, because it does strip off any wax on your car, it will leave your finish unprotected to the elements. Therefore, it is not recommended that you use this as a regular car wash soap. A good quality car wash soap (like Z7) which will not strip off any wax is recommended for regular washes.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
i went ahead and applied z5. Cant really tell since its night time, have to wait until tommorow morning to see if zaino did the job.
If you did not apply either Z1, or add the ZFX to the Z5, then it will not cure properly, will not give you a great finish, and will not last very long. You did not mention buying either of these products, so I hope you just forgot to mention it. Otherwise, you should take a few minutes and read through the instructions and the product descriptions on the Zainostore website. It will save you time and money.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:18 PM

magLipVE
Originally Posted by revstriker
If you did not apply either Z1, or add the ZFX to the Z5, then it will not cure properly, will not give you a great finish, and will not last very long. You did not mention buying either of these products, so I hope you just forgot to mention it. Otherwise, you should take a few minutes and read through the instructions and the product descriptions on the Zainostore website. It will save you time and money.

dammit! I do have zfx... What should i do now, since i've applied z5 already? Should i take another crack at it with zfx? You also mentioned z5 only hide and not take away scratches or swirl marks. Can you provide me with some instructions to completely remove scratches and swirls? The instructions on zainos website is a bit confusing and I dont remember seeing detail steps.

thanks again for your response!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
dammit! I do have zfx... What should i do now, since i've applied z5 already? Should i take another crack at it with zfx? You also mentioned z5 only hide and not take away scratches or swirl marks. Can you provide me with some instructions to completely remove scratches and swirls? The instructions on zainos website is a bit confusing and I dont remember seeing detail steps.

thanks again for your response!
If it were me, I would do another Dawn Wash, and then apply another coat of Z5 (if needed) with the ZFX added.

In order to remove swirl marks, you need a polish or a compound that is abrasive. This will actually remove a fine layer of the finish. Normally this can be accomplished using a random orbital buffer. For deeper swirl marks, a step up to a rotary buffer will help. If these don't help, then you would need to move on to wet sanding. Just to note, all of these techniques can cause damage to your finish (some more easily than others) if done by someone who does not know what they are doing. For more information on these techniques, check out some of the "sticky" threads within this forum.

As far as I know, Zaino products are all non-abrasive, so you cannot remove swirl marks, or scratches with these products.

You mentioned (I think) that you had purchased a Clay Bar as well. If you haven't used this yet, now would be a perfect time, right after the dawn wash, and right before the Z2 or Z5 (with ZFX). You can do damage to your finish with a clay bar, so please do read the instructions on the Zainostore website before trying this out. It's pretty easy to to this correctly, so you should not be scared of trying it.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:46 PM

magLipVE
ouch... another wash and wax I think i'll get a professional to do this, as the only tool I have is my left hand and right hand
Old 06-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
ouch... another wash and wax I think i'll get a professional to do this, as the only tool I have is my left hand and right hand
LOL!

But seriously, you were planning on putting another coat on anyway, so how hard would it be to give it a quick wash first?

As for professional help, this is a good idea if your swirl marks are bad. But if they are light (normal), a few coats of Z5 should hide them well.

Anyway, best of luck to you. As payment for this advice please post some pics when you're done.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:18 PM

magLipVE
just made an appointment with a local detailer. I heard a lot of good things about them, besides they had mostly high end cars when i came by today. ferrari, mercedes, bmw etc... the guy did mentioned i need a buffer machine to properly get the swirls out.

anyways, thanks for your help. I think once these guys get rid of the swirls, I can manage to maintain a good shine with zaino. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

thanks!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:01 AM

magLipVE
just an update. The detailer did a great job on the swirls, but wasnt very happy with the shine. I ended up applying Z2 a week after the detail job and man.... am i happy. Z2 by far is the best i've used so far. Z5 didnt do much for me.

By the way, would it make any difference if Z2 is applied again?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
put 3 coats on and stand back !!!
Old 07-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
....the guy did mentioned i need a buffer machine to properly get the swirls out.
Well, you can get them out with hand wet sanding.... but a buffer would be my first choice. Zaino will only hide the swirls, not remove them.

just an update. The detailer did a great job on the swirls, but wasnt very happy with the shine. I ended up applying Z2 a week after the detail job and man.... am i happy. Z2 by far is the best i've used so far. Z5 didnt do much for me.

By the way, would it make any difference if Z2 is applied again?
A couple of questions..... First: Zaino products will not properly cure if placed over a Carnauba wax product (which your detailer most likely used). Did you dawn wash and/or clay your car before applying the Z2? Remember, prep is important!

If you used the ZFX added to the Z2, you can apply up to 3 coats within a 24 hour period. If you did not use the ZFX and applied a coat of Z1 first, then you have to wait 12-24 hours in between each coat (each coat will need to cure). If you did not use ZFX or Z1, well, then, see above.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by revstriker
Well, you can get them out with hand wet sanding.... but a buffer would be my first choice. Zaino will only hide the swirls, not remove them.

• Safely removes minor scratches, swirls, oxidation, wax buildup and other blemishes
• Features the world's first true self-dissolving, fused tri-particulate, diminishing abrasive system
• 100% compatibility with all painted surfaces and Zaino paint products
• Water-based formula means no mess, no staining, and easy clean up - no fillers or oils
• Can be used in sun or shade on cool surfaces
• VOC compliant
• Perfect your paint with Zaino Z-PC Fusion
Attached Thumbnails Zaino Z2 or Z5???-z-pc.jpg  
Old 07-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by C43AMG
• Safely removes minor scratches, swirls, oxidation, wax buildup and other blemishes
• Features the world's first true self-dissolving, fused tri-particulate, diminishing abrasive system
• 100% compatibility with all painted surfaces and Zaino paint products
• Water-based formula means no mess, no staining, and easy clean up - no fillers or oils
• Can be used in sun or shade on cool surfaces
• VOC compliant
• Perfect your paint with Zaino Z-PC Fusion
Thanks C43AMG. I did forget about this new product. It's also one that I have not tried yet. But I have to say, so far I have been impressed with all of the Zaino products.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C280
C43 have you tried this fusion yet?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by NdnMbLova
C43 have you tried this fusion yet?
Yes.Used it on a small section of the 420SEL.I will do the entire car with it when I get the PC buffer.