Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Problem with Blue Dye from Clothing on MB Stone Leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:10 AM
LAH
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E 320 CDI
Problem with Blue Dye from Clothing on MB Stone Leather

I have a problem with my MB Stone Leather seats. They are the ventilated seats, so they are perforated. I use Leatherique to care for my leather and that product has done very well in keeping the seats soft and allowing just about anything to be cleaned. However recently I have encountered a problem where blue dye has stained the drivers seat. I as able to remove all but a couple of small spots so I decided to use the Leatherique rejuvinator this past weekend. Unfortunately, it did not seem to revove the stains. Upon closer inspection, it almost looks as if the seat color is starting to wear off. However, I really can not tell if that is the problem or not. Can someone give me some advice as to what I need to do to restore this leather back to it's orignal condition. By the way, the car is a 2005 E320, CDI. Thank you
Old 06-19-2006, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by LAH
I have a problem with my MB Stone Leather seats. They are the ventilated seats, so they are perforated. I use Leatherique to care for my leather and that product has done very well in keeping the seats soft and allowing just about anything to be cleaned. However recently I have encountered a problem where blue dye has stained the drivers seat. I as able to remove all but a couple of small spots so I decided to use the Leatherique rejuvinator this past weekend. Unfortunately, it did not seem to revove the stains. Upon closer inspection, it almost looks as if the seat color is starting to wear off. However, I really can not tell if that is the problem or not. Can someone give me some advice as to what I need to do to restore this leather back to it's orignal condition. By the way, the car is a 2005 E320, CDI. Thank you
All denim and dark heavy fabrics rub off onto the leather. If it fades when washed it rubs off on the seat.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Let the dealer re-dye the leather. They do it all the time.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Dye Transfer
Dye transfer is one of the toughest and rarely removable stains, try using a leather cleaner (Leatherique's Prestine Clean or Zaino Z-9 Leather Cleaner) if that does not remove the dye try 303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover or Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) sparingly to remove it.

Failing that take ima55r2's advice "Let the dealer re-dye the leather".
Old 06-30-2006, 01:36 PM
LAH
Almost a Member!

2005 E 320 CDI
After close inspection, and a little more time, I realized that it was not blue dye from clothing. What is actually happening is the seat dye is melting/deteriorating off the leather. The spot kept growing every day, and became sticky. I finally got hold of a magnifying glass and could see they dye fragmenting off the leather. I met with the MB Regional Operations/Service Manager this morning, and they agreed to strip and re-dye the seat. He used a mangifying tool as well to look at the leather, and as soon as he completed that inspection, he told the service manager to re-dye the seat. Seemed like it was fairly common, but he did not say that. When I posed the question about the other seats and possibly a repeat of the drivers seat, he said he would have me covered while the car was under warranty. Does not make me feel too optimistic about keeping the car beyond warranty or for that matter buying another MB, if their cars are only designed to reliability of the warranty period. I appreciate everyones response to my posting. Thank you.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
I've seen seat backs with the abrasion wear you describe...it is just where the driver's beltline would be.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:18 PM
LAH
Almost a Member!

2005 E 320 CDI
The problem on the seat back was wide spread. No noticeable staining at the belt line, but wide spread very small flaking of they dye throughout the entire seat. Complete deterioration is only a matter of time. Already there are spots noticeable without assistance throughout the seat back and cushion in areas that are not obvious wear spots. It is the type of problem that if you are not looking for it you will never see it. It only took the MB rep seconds to confirm this was a manufacturing defect.