Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Questions about Nappa leather care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 03:54 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Questions about Nappa leather care

I just took delivery of GL450 Premier Edition, which has black nappa leather on the seats and dash. I'm accustomed to using Lexol products on my CLK, with its thick ash colored leather and rarely on the S430, whose graphite seat leather is softer, but not nappa. I'm hesitant, however, to use these or any products on the nappa should the need arise. I'd like to know if there is anything special I should do to maintain the suppleness of the seats, and if there is something that I should do to protect the leather on the dash, besides putting a sunshield on the windshield. Please help.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Ultra suede :(Escaine, Alacantra, Nappa)

Ultra suede :
Should be cleaned by brushing the nap with a soft nylon upholstery brush, remove pilling with a single-sided razor blade and then applying a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® with a ratio of 5:1 or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (do not soak the fabric) Localized stains can be treated with a citrus-based cleaner, ensure surface is dry before use by leaving window cracked/open. For heavy stain removal- 1:1 Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover / Distilled water- http://www.folexcompany.com/

Identifying characteristics- very soft to the touch will scratch or scuff very easily; water drops will darken the leather but it returns to its original colour after drying.

Maintenance- Use a soft brush lightly to remove dust and raise the fabrics nap, once your seats / steering wheel / interior is clean, you should use a conditioning/protection product (303™ High Tech Fabric Guard, which includes UVR protection)
Old 06-30-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Thank you, TOGWT. I'll try your suggestions when the time comes to clean the carpet, but the nappa leather is not ultrasuede. It is very smooth, solid leather with no nap to comb. It's like a fine pair of shoes or gloves, or a baby's bottom. I fear taking a razor to it will damage it permanently. Thanks again for your suggestions.