Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Does wax burn off in the sun?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:13 PM
JDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300
Does wax burn off in the sun?

I waxed my car three times this weekend, and sunday night the roof and trunk lost that slickness that usually stays around for awhile. The temp was about 100 degrees saturday and sunday. I rewaxed last night. I used a macguires polish (forgot the actual type), and have always used that brand. I'm about to try Duragloss for grinns.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:29 PM

W209 CLK55 AMG
I'm pretty sure the weather has a lot to do with how often you should wax your car. Regardless of "feel" I thing the true test would be how well the water beeds up when washing. I know my wifes company car (which sits outside) requires a lot more maintenance than the vehicles we have in the garage.

I highly recommend Zaino products (www.zainostore.com). There may be other recommendations as well but this stuff is really, really good. I like their leather care products as well.

Oh, also, unless you're using some type of hardening agent, you shouldn't applie more than 1 coat of wax within a 24 hour period. Zaino makes a harding agent that allows up to 3 coats within 24 hours (or 1 right after the other).

Good luck!

Last edited by bixby; 06-26-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:31 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by bixby
I'm pretty sure the weather has a lot to do with how often you should wax your car. Regardless of "feel" I thing the true test would be how well the water beeds up when washing. I know my wifes company car (which sits outside) requires a lot more maintenance than the vehicles we have in the garage.

I highly recommend Zaino products (www.zainostore.com). There may be other recommendations as well but this stuff is really, really good. I like their leather care products as well.

Good luck!
..Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Carnauba dramatically reduces paint oxidation by diffusing (refracting) infrared (IR) and ultra violet (UV) radiation from the sun, which can dull your paint finish. Through dissipation Carnauba wax are limited in their protecting capabilities. More specifically, these wax compounds have a melting point of 180 degree. F. When the temperature of the painted surface exceeds the melting point of the compound applied thereon; the waxes will melt from a hard wax to oil. When this occurs, the waxes are easily washed off and, more importantly, will pick up dust particles and other air pollutants. In actual practice, the temperature frequently leads to melting of the wax compounds (which also contains solvents and sometime Beeswax (130oF low melting points).

For example, painted surfaces exposed to ambient temperatures of 80oF in direct sunlight, will rise up to a temperature of 185degree F or more. Consequently, the extremely fine film of wax covering the peaks of the painted surface is very quickly dissipated, leaving them exposed to the elements to become oxidized. If the paint finishes contain silver or aluminium metallic particles, then the wax coatings would provide little or no protection, since the metallic particles retain more heat and, therefore, rapidly destroy the protection of the waxes.

Once the wax has set-up and some time has elapsed most waxes harden and become brittle and will not expand/ contract with the panels as temperatures fluctuate. Micro cracks develop which grow, allowing the oils to leach out, evaporate or be washed from the surface; this allows dirt and pollutants to degrade the paint system's protection. (See Section 20)

Generally you can expect 50% of your Carnauba wax layer to be gone after 30 days, 75% after 60 days and 95% gone after 90 days. You should plan on waxing your car four (4) times a year. You can extend the waxes life expectancy by parking indoors, using a car cover and by using a quick detailer spray (QD) like Pinnacle Crystal Mist. (See also Wax)
Old 06-30-2006, 11:49 AM
JDM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Carnauba dramatically reduces paint oxidation by diffusing (refracting) infrared (IR) and ultra violet (UV) radiation from the sun, which can dull your paint finish. Through dissipation Carnauba wax are limited in their protecting capabilities. More specifically, these wax compounds have a melting point of 180 degree. F. When the temperature of the painted surface exceeds the melting point of the compound applied thereon; the waxes will melt from a hard wax to oil. When this occurs, the waxes are easily washed off and, more importantly, will pick up dust particles and other air pollutants. In actual practice, the temperature frequently leads to melting of the wax compounds (which also contains solvents and sometime Beeswax (130oF low melting points).

For example, painted surfaces exposed to ambient temperatures of 80oF in direct sunlight, will rise up to a temperature of 185degree F or more. Consequently, the extremely fine film of wax covering the peaks of the painted surface is very quickly dissipated, leaving them exposed to the elements to become oxidized. If the paint finishes contain silver or aluminium metallic particles, then the wax coatings would provide little or no protection, since the metallic particles retain more heat and, therefore, rapidly destroy the protection of the waxes.

Once the wax has set-up and some time has elapsed most waxes harden and become brittle and will not expand/ contract with the panels as temperatures fluctuate. Micro cracks develop which grow, allowing the oils to leach out, evaporate or be washed from the surface; this allows dirt and pollutants to degrade the paint system's protection. (See Section 20)

Generally you can expect 50% of your Carnauba wax layer to be gone after 30 days, 75% after 60 days and 95% gone after 90 days. You should plan on waxing your car four (4) times a year. You can extend the waxes life expectancy by parking indoors, using a car cover and by using a quick detailer spray (QD) like Pinnacle Crystal Mist. (See also Wax)
Very informative. The Meguiars medallion that was discontinued, vanished from my paint in one day during 90 degree weather, and direct sunlight. I'm onto the NXT Tech wax now. So far, it's still on the car! =)
Old 06-30-2006, 11:49 AM
JDM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by TOGWT

Very informative. The Meguiars medallion that was discontinued, vanished from my paint in one day during 90 degree weather, and direct sunlight. I'm onto the NXT Tech wax now. So far, it's still on the car! =)
Old 06-30-2006, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C280
6 Coats of z2 and 4 coats of z6 have done an excellant job for me. Try the Sonus brand and use their carnuba wax and acryllic spray.