Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Quick Detail Sprays - any good?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Question Quick Detail Sprays - any good?

I just had my 1st experience with one of these spray products - Meguiar's NXT Speed Detailer, and I am impressed. I didn't know what I had on the shelf until today, thinking it was something for the interior!

Benzie was only water spotted, and I first used a soft-bristled auto dust brush. Then using 2 microfiber towels, I spayed it on panel by panel, wiped it off before it dried (instructions tell you this) and went over the areas again with the 2nd, drier, towel. I think the car looks pretty darn good for about 30 minutes of easy work.

Can I have a few opinions on these products? I know several manufacturers make them, and I just used what I happened to have.

Thanks,
M
Old 07-06-2006, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Zaino has a Z6 & Z8 detailing sprays - they are awesome !
Old 07-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Zaino has a Z6 & Z8 detailing sprays - they are awesome !
Agreed. I also keep a spray bottle of Z7 and water (little heavy on the Z7) for some quick detailing. A quick wipe down with this, followed by some Z6 works well and saves some money (rather than using Z6 alone). I normally only use the Z8 when I'm applying Z2. I normally do a coat of Z6 and then a coat of Z8. Not sure how Z8 would work as a detailing spray.

I've also used Meguiar's spray which works well too.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My thanks to both of you - C43AMG & revstriker
Old 07-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually use Eagle one Wipe n Shine...my personal opinion is that really good..lasts for a while and looks like u just washed the car..bad is u can't jst do one section of the car u need to do the entire car other wise it looks wierd
Old 07-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

I actually use Eagle one Wipe n Shine...my personal opinion is that really good..lasts for a while and looks like u just waxed the car..bad is u can't jst do one section of the car u need to do the entire car other wise it looks wierd
Old 07-12-2006, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by Musikmann
I just had my 1st experience with one of these spray products - Meguiar's NXT Speed Detailer, and I am impressed. I didn't know what I had on the shelf until today, thinking it was something for the interior!

Benzie was only water spotted, and I first used a soft-bristled auto dust brush. Then using 2 microfiber towels, I spayed it on panel by panel, wiped it off before it dried (instructions tell you this) and went over the areas again with the 2nd, drier, towel. I think the car looks pretty darn good for about 30 minutes of easy work.

Can I have a few opinions on these products? I know several manufacturers make them, and I just used what I happened to have.

Thanks,
M
I have tried many different products. The one that works the best for me , especially on my black SL55, is Griot's instant detailer. I am typically not a fan of Griot's products primarily due to their unrealistic prices but the detailer and their car wash soap are outstanding.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smile Thanks!

Thank you too harpz and lkirtchner.

I have seen the Eagle One products around here, but I don't remember seeing Griot's - I'll be considering these, plus the Zaino items mentioned earlier.

Last edited by Musikmann; 07-12-2006 at 02:34 PM. Reason: adding to message
Old 07-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

have u decided on which brand?
Old 07-15-2006, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow harpz

Originally Posted by harpz
have u decided on which brand?
Hello harpz,

I went ahead and bought some of the "regular" Meguiar's Quick Detailer, but I have not tried that yet. I will also buy and try the Eagle One - the detail shop I sometimes use only uses Eagle products, and they are a dealer.

Thanks,
M
Old 07-19-2006, 10:01 PM

E55 AMG + Mustang GT
I tried out most of the wax's out there (Zaino, Meguiars, Mothers, Eagle, and the new Turtle Wax Liquid Ice), and then I stumbled upon the TurboWax product line. I've been using the turbowax products ever since. I found that it leaves the paint extremely smooth, and gives it a deeper shine than the other products I have tried out. The turbowax kit includes a last minute detailer, and you can also buy just a spray wax. You can order and check out the complete product line on their website www.turbowax.com
Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow Jaki

Originally Posted by Jaki
I tried out most of the wax's out there (Zaino, Meguiars, Mothers, Eagle, and the new Turtle Wax Liquid Ice), and then I stumbled upon the TurboWax product line. I've been using the turbowax products ever since. I found that it leaves the paint extremely smooth, and gives it a deeper shine than the other products I have tried out. The turbowax kit includes a last minute detailer, and you can also buy just a spray wax. You can order and check out the complete product line on their website www.turbowax.com
Thank you for the info; you might have saved me quite a bit of money by your review
Old 07-20-2006, 12:38 PM

E55 AMG + Mustang GT
Originally Posted by Musikmann
Thank you for the info; you might have saved me quite a bit of money by your review
No problem. Try out their 4oz complete detailing kit. Its only $24, and I'm sure you won't regret it. Its good for about 4-5 uses at least, that is if you use a lot of it. If you like it, they have a 16oz complete kit as well, which will last you for quite a while.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

I just think that i may have to buy some, i've been using eagle one up till now
Old 07-22-2006, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow harpz

I just think that i may have to buy some, i've been using eagle one up till now
I just found some Eagle One Bucket-Free Car Wash with a coupon attached saying "Try Me Free" It cost $4.99 at AutoZone and then Eagle One will refund the purchase price of anything up to $5.99! Have you tried this? I have wanted to, and this offer pushed me over the edge.

I also bought the Eagle One Wipe & Shine that you have been talking about because I wanted to try that too. We can compare notes later.

Regards,
M
Old 07-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

To wash the car i've been using Zip It carwash from Turtle wax does an amazing job, really makes the car clean and shiny plus it buffs any chrome or aluminum u may have (wheels, trim etc....) let me know how the wash free soap goes
Old 07-23-2006, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow harpz

To wash the car i've been using Zip It carwash from Turtle wax does an amazing job, really makes the car clean and shiny plus it buffs any chrome or aluminum u may have (wheels, trim etc....) let me know how the wash free soap goes
I sure will, and I'll be trying it today. BUT I just discovered that free coupon expired last year! I'm going to send it in anyway to see what happens.

Last edited by Musikmann; 07-23-2006 at 10:25 AM. Reason: addition
Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow harpz

TRY the bucket-free car wash! You are satisfied with some of the other Eagle One products anyway - I don't think you'll be disappointed
Old 07-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

As soon as i get the time I will...soundz like ur happy with the results
Old 07-26-2006, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow harpz

As soon as i get the time I will...soundz like ur happy with the results
Yes I am, and please contribute to the other topic I started about it with your opinions, positive OR negative.

And by the way, in case I didn't mention it, I bought the Eagle One Wipe & Shine. I'll try it out on the Camry that had the E1 bath - to be consistant within the same product line.

I also have their Nanowax which I might use on one of the 2 non-MB cars the next time they need it. Heck, if I decide I like all 3, Benzie MIGHT just get a taste of them too.

Last edited by Musikmann; 07-26-2006 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-27-2006, 03:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes your daughter horny
Originally Posted by revstriker
Agreed. I also keep a spray bottle of Z7 and water (little heavy on the Z7) for some quick detailing. A quick wipe down with this, followed by some Z6 works well and saves some money (rather than using Z6 alone). I normally only use the Z8 when I'm applying Z2. I normally do a coat of Z6 and then a coat of Z8. Not sure how Z8 would work as a detailing spray.

I've also used Meguiar's spray which works well too.
Hey Rev,

Great idea on the Z7/Water mixture; I'm going to go experiment with it myself but a little more info would be great.

How much Z7 do you mix in? Say for a bottle of Z6 sized Z7 + Soap mixture.

Little OT: But does anyone have expierience with interior detail sprays? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

W Cole
Old 07-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by W Cole
Hey Rev,

Great idea on the Z7/Water mixture; I'm going to go experiment with it myself but a little more info would be great.

How much Z7 do you mix in? Say for a bottle of Z6 sized Z7 + Soap mixture.

Little OT: But does anyone have expierience with interior detail sprays? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

W Cole
I normally just eyeball it. Normal directions call for a cap full per gallon. A bottle of Z6 is 16oz. which is 1/8th of a gallon. I think I would shoot for about 1/4-1/2 a cap full for this.

Just a note: I use this much heavier than I would a Z6. The goal is for the mixture to absorb (not sure if this is the right word, but I think you get the point) the dirt. For the most part, I only use this for touch ups, like to clean fingerprints, and light wheel splatter. If the car is dirtier than that, then I wash it.

This is also good for bird droppings. I soak the dropping with the spray, let it sit for a few minutes, and then lightly wipe it away with a clean, cotton towel. Repeat until it's gone. Do not rub hard.

As for interior detail sprays, I normally just use the Zaino Z9. I use Z10 on the seats a few times each year.

Also for interiors, don't forget to clay, and apply Z2 w/ZFX to all of the wood trim for a slick deep shine!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes your daughter horny
Originally Posted by revstriker
I normally just eyeball it. Normal directions call for a cap full per gallon. A bottle of Z6 is 16oz. which is 1/8th of a gallon. I think I would shoot for about 1/4-1/2 a cap full for this.

Just a note: I use this much heavier than I would a Z6. The goal is for the mixture to absorb (not sure if this is the right word, but I think you get the point) the dirt. For the most part, I only use this for touch ups, like to clean fingerprints, and light wheel splatter. If the car is dirtier than that, then I wash it.

This is also good for bird droppings. I soak the dropping with the spray, let it sit for a few minutes, and then lightly wipe it away with a clean, cotton towel. Repeat until it's gone. Do not rub hard.

As for interior detail sprays, I normally just use the Zaino Z9. I use Z10 on the seats a few times each year.

Also for interiors, don't forget to clay, and apply Z2 w/ZFX to all of the wood trim for a slick deep shine!
Im moving into an apartment by my university this year so I will no longer have deionized water to wash the car with.

I was hoping by using Z7+water and Z6 I would be able to "dry wash" the car maybe twice a week and keep it looking nice without having to wash it except on the rare occasion when I drive home.

It seems from your description that the Z7 + water isn't a good answer for inexpensive detailing between washes.

Clay the interior trim? Thank god I have the sport trim lol
Old 07-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by W Cole
Im moving into an apartment by my university this year so I will no longer have deionized water to wash the car with.

I was hoping by using Z7+water and Z6 I would be able to "dry wash" the car maybe twice a week and keep it looking nice without having to wash it except on the rare occasion when I drive home.

It seems from your description that the Z7 + water isn't a good answer for inexpensive detailing between washes.

Clay the interior trim? Thank god I have the sport trim lol
My suggestion would be to pick up a California Duster and give it a good dusting a couple of times per day. Then you can use the Z7 and water for any areas where this is a little more dirt than dust. Once completely dusted and clean, a nice coat of Z6 will keep the shine (you wouldn't have to do this daily, but you could). You could probably go pretty long in between car washes using this method (although I would recommend adding a way to clean your wheels). If you keep the car outside, then I think it will be much harder to keep it clean.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:27 AM

03 E500
Z-8 works well for a detail spray, I use it everytime now that my Z-6 is used up. The only thing bad about Z-8 is it's expensive.