Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Old Sirius Antenna left a ring I can't get out!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E350 Cab
Angry Old Sirius Antenna left a ring I can't get out!!!

I recently had the stealer replace my old, big, ugly Sirius antenna with the little body-colored version. It definitely looks a lot better. The problem is that it left a little ring around the new antenna where the old one was glued on. I tried a clay bar twice, four coats of Z-5, and three coats of Z-2, but no change. I've attached pics, but the ring is a lot more noticeable than it seems.

I cannot feel the ring at all (either before or after the Zaino), but you can definitely see it. How do I get this off. The stealer said he'd "see what he could do," but I don't want him to mess up the mirror-like Zaino finish on the rest of the car, or, worse yet, wax the car on top of the Zaino.

How can I get this ring off?
Attached Thumbnails Old Sirius Antenna left a ring I can't get out!!!-antenna-005-small.jpg   Old Sirius Antenna left a ring I can't get out!!!-antenna-008-small.jpg  
Old 08-04-2006, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
I can't tell from the pix, is the ring on the paint or on the window glass? If on the glass, have you tried Zaino's Glass Polish (an abrasive)?

EDJ
Old 08-04-2006, 10:08 PM

2014 E350 Cab
The ring is on the paint. That's the top of my trunk. Here's a better pic.
Attached Thumbnails Old Sirius Antenna left a ring I can't get out!!!-antenna-008-smaller.jpg  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:11 PM
lig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Try Scratch-X . Hit it a few times. The abrasives break down to minimize the potential for damage. Try atleast three applications.

http://meguiars.com/?auto-paint-cleaners/ScratchX

GL!
Old 08-06-2006, 06:40 PM

2014 E350 Cab
Been to about 10 places trying to find Scratch-X. Is there a store that usually carries it, or is it something I have to buy online?
Old 08-06-2006, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Most any Auto Part Chain store should carry Meguiars Products or Order direct from www.meguiars.com

As posted above try it at LEAST three times..as its better to use a LESS abrasive product several times
Old 08-06-2006, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
try goo gone.... But after you use it do a wash and wax of the car.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
maybe some rubbing compound?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 PM

2014 E350 Cab
Yeah, Scratch-X did not work, so rubbing compound it is. I'm hesitant to use rubbing compound because I've never had good luck with it. I always end up with a spot that doesn't really look scratched, but just seems kind of hazy compared to the paint everywhere else.

Is there a brand recommendation? Zaino makes a rubbing compound, but the description sounds a lot like Scratch-X. I need something stronger.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
It's hard to tell from the pictures if the ring is actually a "scratch" in the finish, or if it's a residue left over by the old antenna. If it is a residue, I would try some GooGone. If it's in the finish, since you already tried to clay it, I would move on to a mild scratch remover. Zaino makes a Z-PC, but you can find other brands as well. If this doesn't work after a few coats, then it's time to move up to something more abrasive, or take it to a professional detailer.

As for Z5, this works well for covering fine scratches (swirl marks) but does not remove them.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:31 PM

04 C320 Coupe MT
The probelm is that the old antenna's seal left an impression in the paint. If you feel it carefully you will notice that there is a small valley where the ring is.

In my experience, the best way to deal with this is to do nothing. It will go away in time, maybe a few weeks. Believe me, it will go away, I have seen it on several different occasions. I used to work for MBUSA in the training department, and we retrofit the new style antennas on several cars and could see this effect disappear after a few weeks or a month.

If you can't wait, just have your decklid painted. If anyone tries to sand the mark out, they will cut right through the clear and it will have to be painted anyway.

I think the best option for you is just wait - it will go away, trust me.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:46 PM

2014 E350 Cab
If there is an impression or a valley, I sure couldn't feel it either before the Zaino or after the Scratch-X. I don't think it's a residue either, because it didn't change or move.

So, mbbodytech, you're saying it's sort of like the dent a piece of furniture leaves in carpet?

I guess there's no downside at this point to waiting for a month or so and seeign if it will go away. Especially since rubbing compound scares me.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:18 AM

04 C320 Coupe MT
The furniture and carpet analogy is exactly what I'm trying to say.

And, you are exactly right - it can't hurt to wait a little while and see what happens. I'm sure you will be happy you did.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:41 PM

06 CLS, 06 Chevy ZQ8, 07 Chevy TBSS (05 BMW M3,SOLD, 02 BMW 4.6,SOLD.
try colorsanding!

I would first remove the antenna then lightly colorsand the trunk with 2000 grit wet/dry paper soaked in a bucket using warm water with dishwashing soap. Make sure to use a sanding block then with a high speed buffer using a foam pad and 3M Finesse-it polish most of it should come out. I would only recommend a professional to do this. Good luck
Old 08-12-2006, 11:01 AM

04 C320 Coupe MT
Originally Posted by larryv
I would first remove the antenna then lightly colorsand the trunk with 2000 grit wet/dry paper soaked in a bucket using warm water with dishwashing soap. Make sure to use a sanding block then with a high speed buffer using a foam pad and 3M Finesse-it polish most of it should come out. I would only recommend a professional to do this. Good luck
If he tries that he will sand right through the clear.....
Old 08-12-2006, 02:19 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by mbbodytech
I think the best option for you is just wait - it will go away, trust me.
I replaced my antenna several months ago. I saw the same marks and also tried zaino to remove them with no effect. I don't know when they disappeared, but they're gone now. I agree, just wait. I know it's tough, but try not to obsess over the marks on the trunk. I found swearing at the stone chips on the hood to be a good distraction.