Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 SLK
Brake Dust

I am a long time Benz owner, my first was a 240 D and I have owned a 300 sd, 400e and now own a 190 e, 350 sl and the SLK that MB corp loaned to the media for testing and pictures when the SLK was introduced. One of the common traits between all of these, is the front wheels getting covered by brake dust. I tried the dust shields (warped my rotors) and all types of cleaners that mainly took away the shine of my clear coated wheels.

A couple years ago I worked with a chemist to come up with a solution the the problem and came up with a product that is now offered by one of the sponsors of this forum, The Tire Rack. WheelWax works to repel brake dust and make your wheels easier to clean. Some car waxes will melt and attract dust while WheelWax stays on the wheels and builds an anti-static barrier over time. This product is clear coat safe and even works great to remove tar from your fenders while adding more wax to your finish in one step.

I hope you find this helpful, check out The Tire Rack or e-mail me for more info.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
To me Wheelwax is an overpriced, rebottled cleaner wax. It has very little durability and shine. I use Zaino, klasse, or meguiars #20 on my rims. These are all cheaper and more durable products.

let me clarify what i mean by very little durability and shine, Most products will have VERY similar initial shine, however whether or not the shine lasts is what i am concerned about. a simple carnauba wax will not withstand the surface temps. on a wheel during spirited driving. this is my opinion.

Last edited by AlBoston; 08-29-2002 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:11 PM

1998 SLK
Al,

Maybe I didn't make my point. WheelWax is also a cleaner that helps remove brake dust, tar and road grime as it protects in one step.

It is formulated specifically for this purpose not rebottled. It has a g reat carnauba for durability and other elements that help it bond to the surface and resist heat fade. Zaino (about the same cost) is a polish not a wax. Klasse sells for $22.95 (todays price on their website) and Meguiars #20 sells for $16.99 (today's price on their website) which are both more expensive than WheelWax ($14.95 at the tire rack.com) and are formulated for other purposes.

I am glad you have strong opinions about your favorite products. They are all good. As for shine and durability, I will stick with the WheelWax. I can refer you to known racing teams who use it to keep their wheels easy to clean and looking their best. Their wheel are probably a little hotter than average.

Thanks for your opinion.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by ScreaminYeloSLK
Al,

Maybe I didn't make my point. WheelWax is also a cleaner that helps remove brake dust, tar and road grime as it protects in one step.

It is formulated specifically for this purpose not rebottled. It has a g reat carnauba for durability and other elements that help it bond to the surface and resist heat fade. Zaino (about the same cost) is a polish not a wax. Klasse sells for $22.95 (todays price on their website) and Meguiars #20 sells for $16.99 (today's price on their website) which are both more expensive than WheelWax ($14.95 at the tire rack.com) and are formulated for other purposes.

I am glad you have strong opinions about your favorite products. They are all good. As for shine and durability, I will stick with the WheelWax. I can refer you to known racing teams who use it to keep their wheels easy to clean and looking their best. Their wheel are probably a little hotter than average.

Thanks for your opinion.
In my experience something that cleans AND protects in one step usually has a fault in one of these areas, either the cleaning or the protecting. Like i said, it seems exactly like meguiars cleaner wax which claims the same things. No Carnauba can withstand high temperatures, they are loaded with silicone oil and all other types of waxes such paraffin wax, etc. Kinda like a candle, the wax melts and evaporates when heated, hmmmm. Most of the wax is silicone oil because that is what creates the shine and makes the wax spreadable, if it was all carnauba it would be as hard as a rock. I would also like to clarify a few things in your post for other readers, brake dust should NOT be removed by waxing but rather using car wash soap and water or a non-acidic wheel cleaner. And second, Zaino calls their Z2, Z3, and Z5 show car polish however it is not a typical abrasive polish used for cleaning paint. Zaino is a non-abrasive paint sealant that will protect your paint better than any wax ive tried.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:31 AM

1998 SLK
Al,

you are right about not using waxes to clean your wheels or remove brake dust. Thats why I was a little bit surprised you recommended Zaino Meguiars #20 and Klasse as replacements for WheelWax which cleans and protects wheels. I wouldn't think any of those manufacturers would call their products wheel cleaners either. WheelWax was formulated as a soft paste to dissolve the harder to remove brake dust after you have used a mild car wash soap to get most of the dirt and dust off. It leaves a great protective coating behind to make wheels easier to clean next time.

There is a huge difference between the Meguiars clean and wash and WheelWax. WheelWax was formulated to deal with brake dust, tar and road grime associated with wheels. It was also formulated to last longer than the other products when the wheels get hot. WheelWax is track tested on real race cars going from triple digit speeds to heavy braking every lap, not just aggresively driven street cars.

I like the zaino products. They also incorporate an anti-static element that helps repel dust. They can be a little more work to apply and maintain, but to the hard core enthusiast (like you and me) thats no big deal.

Al, I am not trying to get you to change your detail routine. I just tried to find a solution to the brake dust problem and hope it helps others in here.

Thanks again for your opinions.

Last edited by ScreaminYeloSLK; 08-30-2002 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:36 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Fellas, there is another thread on this topic in the W203 forum. A different approach, altogether, dealing with topical treatments that can be applied after cleaning, etc., that only address the dust accumulation. The thread starter has found a possible solution in a common household product that you might find interesting.

Where we need help is your possible experience with the solutions suggested, and any comments regarding the potential effects on clear coat finishes, etc. We would appreciate your opinions...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=16377

Last edited by MB-BOB; 09-04-2002 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
On the price issue, if you already use a product for your paint (such as Klasse or Zaino), then it is cheaper than buying wheel wax. The plain and simple fact is that a wax or sealant is not going to really repel any brake dust, but it will make it easier to clean. Furthermore, carnauba wax (such as this wheel wax) will last the the shortest duration because of it's properties. However, it probably still fills the pores with will keep the slick...

Wheel wax recommends use once a month when using car wash to clean. I believe that tells you something.