Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.
View Poll Results: fix it now or later
Fix it now-drive in a cosmetically perfect car
66.67%
Fix it later after the car has suffered the abuse.
33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

should i fix it up right now or later.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
should i fix it up right now or later.

I am a college freshman and i commute to college everyday in my 1995 c280 that i got from my parents. unfortunately there are minor scratches and dents on the car. i wanted to ask if i should go ahead and get the whole car touched up and have perfect paint or should i wait until i graduate from college since i drive about 60 miles a day in rush hour traffic and on the highway?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:45 PM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
I voted fix it now because if you leave it go it will never get done. You will always come up with reasons to not get your car fixed. Plus, I am **** about my car and how it looks so I am biased toward 'cosmetically perfect'
Old 11-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea I would say do it now if you're gonna do it. You might as well enjoy a new the improved paint while you still drive the vehicle. If you want a quick fix that will help remove minor imperfections you can use the Poorboy's World SSR 2.5 followed by the SSR 1.0. The SSR 2.5 is a medium cutting polish that will help remove swirls, scuffs and other light surface imperfections. The SSR 1.0 ensures no haze is left behind and the surface is smooth. Its a nice easy touch up that can remove some imperfections for only $25. Additionally all these repairs will help get the resale value up.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 11-16-2006, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C280
I was thinking about sending it to the body shop because i have a few dents on the body. after that i will clean it up.

so i should

wash
claybar
polish
seal
wax

is this the right order? or am i missing something.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Banned

Your process is right on. The only other step commonly used is adding a glaze in between polish and sealant.

If the body has fresh paint added to it then you will want to wait to glaze, seal or wax the paint. Solvents in the paint take time to evaporate so you don't want to lock them in. Consult the people doing the touch up paint as to how long you should wait, typical range is 30 - 120 days.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 11-16-2006, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C280
do you have a package that i can buy that i can use to do all of the steps? or something that has most of the things in it?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:24 PM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
Originally Posted by asadkahloon
do you have a package that i can buy that i can use to do all of the steps? or something that has most of the things in it?
Click the link in his sig for the store...Also in the 'ask a pro detailer' thread he describes the process he used on a car. Hope that helps.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Banned

We do have some pre-made kits that save you money and group some products together. Here is one of my favorite combinations.

Paint Prep Kit #19 Includes:
Clear Kote Clay Bar Kit (200g + 16oz Quick Shine [clay lube])
Menzerna Intensive Polish
Menzerna Final Polish II
Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze

Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket

Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax

As always the package above will work best when applied with a buffer and removed with clean microfiber towels. We generally recommend the Porter Cable 7424, if you'd like more information about the PC 7424 let me know. This is just a sample package, if you'd like I can custom build you a package that best fits your needs. We offer 10% off to all forum members excluding buffers, vacuums and special offers. Thanks for the post and I look forward to hearing from you.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 11-17-2006, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C280
is it nessesary to have two polishes?
Old 11-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Banned

Great Question! I think there is a significant benefit to two polishes if you want to buff our surface imperfections. If you just want a quick shine and to eliminate very light swirls you can just use one light polish. The Menzerna Intensive Polish (IP) is a medium cutting polish that will really help buff out fine swirls and scratches. To get the most cutting power we recommend an orange cutting pad, which can leave a very slight haze. The next step is designed to further reduce swirls and eliminate any haze in the clear coat. The Menzerna Final Polish II is very well known for its ability to give you a great shine and leave the surface extremely smooth.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image