Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Command Screen Scratch; HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ex 03 W215 now 08 e92 M3
Command Screen Scratch; HELP!!!!

I was lucky enough to have had the command replaced under warranty a few months ago in my '03 215. I have been careful about keeping it perfect; unfortunately even when you tell people not to touch the screen, inevitably someone doesn't listen. A "detailer" scratched it in the center area about a quarter-sized hazed-scratched-area...

For general cleaning I use "monster screen cleaner" -special projection screen cleaner just for the command-type of screen, and that has been working great; but now I don't know what to use to get this scratch out and have already made it worse with "Maguires #10 and #17 plastic cleaner and plastic detailer"

HELP!!!!!

Thanks,
OC kid

Last edited by OC kid; 12-17-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500/W220/2000
Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. It has been something I've worried and wondered about since I got my car new in '00. Will await the replies...
Old 12-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. You may ask the detailer to pay for replacement costs. Do you have a good picture of this mark? How deep is the mark? Any other relevant that might help would be appreciated.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 12-17-2006, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
you can't really repair those screens. they have to be replaced. they are not available seprately. You're have to get a entire comand unit which is a couple grand. I would recommend screen protectors to any nav screen to prevent something like this.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500/W220/2000
I keep thinking about the COMAND replacement I had installed a couple years ago and thinking "should I pull this plastic cover off of my screen?" I did and have worried ever since... They all come w/ a peal-off cover like you get on a new cell phone screen. One wonders if you shouldn't just leave the damn thing on there...
Old 12-17-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ex 03 W215 now 08 e92 M3
Thank you guys...

I appreciate the comments and the help with advice.

I think sunman is right on this one; except for that it's closer to 3k 'cause like I had said before I just had it done...

The detailer says he didn't do it...and "doesn't know"

I'll post pics tomorrow if I can; just in case someone may have a magic fix.

Jayhawk: You are right on with keeping the plastic cover on it; I was so excited to rip it off when I got the replacement...so dumb...

Thanks again guys for the quick replies and info.

OC kid