Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Menzerna PO106FF and Mercedes ceramic clear coats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Menzerna PO106FF and Mercedes ceramic clear coats

As many of you know Mercedes is using a ceramiclear clear coat on many newer vehicles. This technology continues to develop and variations are being used but they are generally very similar ceramic clear coats. These clear coats are the first to use nanoparticle technology for a stronger and more durable coat. Since 2002 Mercedes has been working with Ceramiclear from PPG on this special coating. These coats are better able to avoid stone chips and some other abrasions, so they look better for longer. It's definitely an overall improvement but still isn't perfect. When you start to see more imperfections in the clear coat you can use almost any polish to try and fix this problem. For these clear coats Menzerna developed a new polish specifically to work with the Mercedes clear coat and other similar clear coats.
The new PF106FF Ceramic Clear Coat Polish is an exciting product from Menzerna, which continuously supplies the detailing world with the highest quality products. To understand this product, you first have to understand the mentality of Menzerna product developers. Menzerna meets and exceeds the ISO 9001 standards, which are the most stringent in the world, through a strong commitment to quality control. They strive to provide the most well balanced products that get fantastic results with every use. Each product must excel across the board at its designed function and anything less is unacceptable. Their obsessive refinement has produced one of the most technologically advanced products in detailing.
The PF106FF Clear Coat Ceramic Polish was designed to give users light to medium cutting power without leaving any haze behind, so it can be a one step polish. Typically, polishes that have medium to heavy cutting power use strong abrasive particles that can leave a slight haze in the clear coat. This haze is essentially the surface still being slightly jagged at a microscopic level. To remove this jagged appearance use a lighter polish that has smaller abrasive particles, so the surface can be buffed even smoother. This is a similar concept to using aggressive sandpaper followed by finer grit sandpaper to further smooth out the surface.
The PO106FF makes polishing even the hardest clear coats quick and easy with exceptional results. PO106FF uses the finest sized abrasive particle in polishes today, but added a higher concentration of abrasive particles. This new formula has more cutting power while the finer sized particles allow you to buff the clear coat even smoother. The ability of this product to reduce surface imperfections and leave the surface extremely smooth is critical to a deep shine. A smooth clear coat with minimal imperfections allows for light to pass directly through, thus creating a deep shine. A smooth clear coat will allow a wax or sealant to adhere to the clear coat better, resulting in a longer lasting shine and protection.
I recently used this product with a white polishing pad from Lake Country Manufacturing and the Porter Cable 7424 at speed five. Going into the detail, I was looking for serious cutting power that would also leave no haze behind on the surface at the same time. I was able to spread the product over the clear coat and buff it in with no problems. I took my time exerting medium pressure on the buffer and carefully moved over the clear coat in a systematic manner. When I thoroughly buffed the product in there was only a thin, almost clear, layer of polish left that I hand removed with a microfiber towel. There was some slight dusting but it was all removed with relative ease. The next step was to inspect the cutting power and shine. The cutting power was stronger than I expected coming very close to the power of a medium cutting polish, with no haze to be seen. However, the most impressive part was definitely the deep shine beaming from the paint. The paint gave off a mirror like shine that was extremely smooth to the touch. My expectations were very high going into the detail, and Menzerna’s PF106FF proved to be a superior polish. I recommend the PF106FF to anyone who wants to remove light to medium swirls and get a great shine in one step.
I hope you found this information helpful and informative. This article is similar to the content found in our newsletter if you'd like to read more like this sign up here. The newsletter also has exclusive sales offers and update you on current specials and contests. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Last edited by Greg@DI; 01-24-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
As many of you know Mercedes is using a ceramiclear clear coat on many newer vehicles. This technology continues to develop and variations are being used but they are generally very similar ceramic clear coats. These clear coats are the first to use nanoparticle technology for a stronger and more durable coat. Since 2002 Mercedes has been working with Ceramiclear from PPG on this special coating. These coats are better able to avoid stone chips and some other abrasions, so they look better for longer. It's definitely an overall improvement but still isn't perfect. When you start to see more imperfections in the clear coat you can use almost any polish to try and fix this problem. For these clear coats Menzerna developed a new polish specifically to work with the Mercedes clear coat and other similar clear coats.
The new PF106FF Ceramic Clear Coat Polish is an exciting product from Menzerna, which continuously supplies the detailing world with the highest quality products. To understand this product, you first have to understand the mentality of Menzerna product developers. Menzerna meets and exceeds the ISO 9001 standards, which are the most stringent in the world, through a strong commitment to quality control. They strive to provide the most well balanced products that get fantastic results with every use. Each product must excel across the board at its designed function and anything less is unacceptable. Their obsessive refinement has produced one of the most technologically advanced products in detailing.
The PF106FF Clear Coat Ceramic Polish was designed to give users light to medium cutting power without leaving any haze behind, so it can be a one step polish. Typically, polishes that have medium to heavy cutting power use strong abrasive particles that can leave a slight haze in the clear coat. This haze is essentially the surface still being slightly jagged at a microscopic level. To remove this jagged appearance use a lighter polish that has smaller abrasive particles, so the surface can be buffed even smoother. This is a similar concept to using aggressive sandpaper followed by finer grit sandpaper to further smooth out the surface.
The PO106FF makes polishing even the hardest clear coats quick and easy with exceptional results. PO106FF uses the finest sized abrasive particle in polishes today, but added a higher concentration of abrasive particles. This new formula has more cutting power while the finer sized particles allow you to buff the clear coat even smoother. The ability of this product to reduce surface imperfections and leave the surface extremely smooth is critical to a deep shine. A smooth clear coat with minimal imperfections allows for light to pass directly through, thus creating a deep shine. A smooth clear coat will allow a wax or sealant to adhere to the clear coat better, resulting in a longer lasting shine and protection.
I recently used this product with a white polishing pad from Lake Country Manufacturing and the Porter Cable 7424 at speed five. Going into the detail, I was looking for serious cutting power that would also leave no haze behind on the surface at the same time. I was able to spread the product over the clear coat and buff it in with no problems. I took my time exerting medium pressure on the buffer and carefully moved over the clear coat in a systematic manner. When I thoroughly buffed the product in there was only a thin, almost clear, layer of polish left that I hand removed with a microfiber towel. There was some slight dusting but it was all removed with relative ease. The next step was to inspect the cutting power and shine. The cutting power was stronger than I expected coming very close to the power of a medium cutting polish, with no haze to be seen. However, the most impressive part was definitely the deep shine beaming from the paint. The paint gave off a mirror like shine that was extremely smooth to the touch. My expectations were very high going into the detail, and Menzerna’s PF106FF proved to be a superior polish. I recommend the PF106FF to anyone who wants to remove light to medium swirls and get a great shine in one step.
I hope you found this information helpful and informative. This article is similar to the content found in our newsletter if you'd like to read more like this sign up here. The newsletter also has exclusive sales offers and update you on current specials and contests. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Greg @ Detailed Image
I have been using the P106PFF polish since it came out on my black SL55. Prior to that I used the Menzerna Intensive polish and the final finish. The 106 has a more aggressive cut but in my opinion has a higher gloss finish than the final finish. It is truly is the best of both worlds.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lkirchner
I have been using the P106PFF polish since it came out on my black SL55. Prior to that I used the Menzerna Intensive polish and the final finish. The 106 has a more aggressive cut but in my opinion has a higher gloss finish than the final finish. It is truly is the best of both worlds.
Yea its a tough call whether its more aggressive then the Intensive Polish for me. I've heard mixed reviews and experienced different things myself. At times I think its a little more, other times a little less, which depends on the type of clear coat and its condition too. No universal right answer besides just knowing the PO106FF is an amazing polish. I'm truly impressed by its smooth finish and high gloss. Thanks for sharing your input on the topic!

For anyone considering the PO106FF I know it seems like a big investment because its not a cheap polish but I think it really winds up being a good investment compared to other polishes that get similar results. I broke down the costs here assuming each coat takes 3 ounces:

PO106FF $49.99
$49.99/32oz = $1.56/oz
$1.56/oz x 3oz per coat = $4.68 for one coat

If you use the Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II here are the costs:
Mezerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II are $15.99 each
$15.99/16oz = $1 per ounce
$1/oz x 3 ounces = $3 per coat
$3 per coat x 2 coats = $6 per application.

Most importantly the PO106FF requires only one coat so you're getting a better finish, for less money in less time. I think this is the product of choice if you really want great results from polishing.

Greg @ Detailed Image