Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

repainting trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:15 PM
gac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500 black/java/2011 Escalade (wifes)
repainting trunk

I have an 02' S500 and my trunk just looks dull I'de like to have it re-painted but have no clue as to what it "should" cost to have this done does anyone have any Idea on roughly the cost? I live on Long Island.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure what a good paint job would cost, however prices will vary almost as much as the quality of the work. I highly recommend finding a reputable place that can show you some good before and after work. Also might want ask for some references.

Before you get the trunk repainted it might be worth trying to polish the trunk to see if you can get rid of the dull apperance. For $25 you can have two strong polishes that help remove oxidation, some swirls and fine scratches. Using the Poorboy's World SSR 2.5 and SSR 1.0 you can get rid of a many imperfections and restore a deep shine. Check out these before and after pictures of a black mercedes. Let me know if you have any questions about trying this process or anything else related to detailing.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-21-2007, 12:03 PM

03 C32 | 72 Porsche 914
I would highly recommend that you have the car polished first before getting it repainted. The original finish is very strong and durable, a good detailing place can wet sand any heavier scratches in the clear coat and put a nice polish on the panel.

Try that first before having the panel repainted.

-Mike
Old 01-21-2007, 03:02 PM

2003 E500
A repaint should be the absolute last thing you do. To properly paint the trunk, it would probably run in the 250-$350+ range....you could spend that same amount by having your car professionally detailed...THE WHOLE THING, not just the trunk. At the higher price, you'll have a nice and clean interior as well.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:56 AM
gac

paint

thanks for all the info!
I would like to order the Poorboys ssr 2.5 and the ssr 1.o but is that all I would need ? is there a wax that I would use after applying these two products?
thanks for your help!
Old 01-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Banned

The SSRs are a good polishing combination that should help the trunk look significantly better. After applying the polish there will be no wax or sealant on the surface so its up to you if you want to protect it after. Obviously adding some form of protection would be better, but its up to you. If you want a recommendation for protection I recommend sealants over waxes because they are typically more durable and easier to work with. My personal favorite is the Menzerna FMJ, followed closely by the Klasse AIO. For the best value try the Poorboy's World EX or EX-P. Both of those are great and will give you a fantastic shine and long lasting protection.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-26-2007, 11:59 AM
gac

thanks greg!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Banned

No problem, let me know if you have any questions!

Greg @ Detailed Image