Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Removing Swirls, please help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 Sport
Removing Swirls, please help!!

Hi Guys, sorry if this question has already been answered, but what needs to be done to the car to remove swirl marks from machine car washes? Do you need to get the car buffed? Waxed? Clay-bar? And whatever needs to be done, approximately how much does it cost at a detailing shop for an E-Class? Also, are these swirl marks considered scratches or something else?? Because if they are scratches, I dont know if a detailing job would remove them. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by killatee18
Hi Guys, sorry if this question has already been answered, but what needs to be done to the car to remove swirl marks from machine car washes? Do you need to get the car buffed? Waxed? Clay-bar? And whatever needs to be done, approximately how much does it cost at a detailing shop for an E-Class? Also, are these swirl marks considered scratches or something else?? Because if they are scratches, I dont know if a detailing job would remove them. Thanks in advance.
Without seeing them I am going to assume that they will need to be polished out. If you cannot feel them with your fingernail then they will be able to be polished. If you can feel them then that could be a problem. I would ask the people on Autopia for the recommendation of a good detailer in your area (www.autopia.org). If you have never done this on your own I would suggest that you go to a good detailer and futher recommend that you stop using car scratches ---- I mean car washes.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car washes are prone to leaving swirl marks in the clear coat. Swirl marks are basically very fine scratches in the clear coat that are curve shaped. These marks are relatively typical and can largely be buffed out with the right combination of polishes and detailing process. After polishing I like to at least follow up with a wax/sealant, however polishes are the only must have product to remove the swirls. Detailing will not remove all of the swirls because some of them are too deep in the clear coat to be safely buffed out, but you can expect to remove 50%- 75% of them. You can do this work yourself or have a detailer do it. Some detailers will do good work and you'll probably get charged accordingly, $150 - $300 is a ballpark figure. Unfortunately it can sometimes be hard to determine which shops do quality work. I'd seek out several recommendations and ask some questions to assure you're getting a quality job. Some detailers will use products with heavy fillers, designed to cover the swirls, not actually remove them. Unfortunately the car looks great at first but a couple washes later the products fade and the swirl marks are exposed again.

If you'd like to do this process yourself you can do it rather easily with a Porter Cable 7424 and two polishes. The Porter Cable 7424 is a very safe and easy to use buffer that has helped weekend detailers get professional like results. I highly recommend doing it yourself because you can be assured of a quality job for about the same cost. Additionally you'll have a great set of products for future detail work and the ability to fix any future problems yourself. I've helped numerous first time detailers get fantastic results, with this same basic problem. If this interests you please let me know and I can explain this in more detail.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
Hey Greg,I looked at your site but couldnt find where your located in NY?
Old 03-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We're located in Albany, NY. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
Ok thanks! Have a house in Athens,Greene Co..next time I'm up I'll stop in&say hello