Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Leather Steeringwheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E320 AWD
Leather Steeringwheel

I have some discoloration on my leather steering wheel (wheel is stone leather and the discoloration looks black) that is not coming off with Meguire's leather cleaner. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Leather steering wheel:
Leather Master Strong Effect Cleaner and a soft sponge, spray and work the cleaner into foam, apply and clean and then wipe the grime away with a damp 100% cotton towel -http://www.dftowel.com As an alternative use a cleaning solution (Distilled Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) a soft bristle soft detailing brush will come in handy for this job

Alternative product- Leather Stain / Ink Removers - http://www.topoftheline.com/stspre.html Use caution this is a strong product, check an inconspicuous area first
Old 03-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I typically clean and condition with the Leatherqiue Prestine Clean. It does a great job of removing oils from your hands on the leather that attract contaminates. It also has conditioners that help keep the leather soft and durable. If your leather seems to have a more serious problem or stain look in to TOGWT's advice.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 AM

2003 E500
All that black stuff is an accumulation of dead skin cells, dirt, and oils from your hands and such.

I agree with Greg, Pristine clean is excellent, then use a product like Poorboy's Natural Look or Adam's Polishes VRT for general maintenance after that.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:56 PM

1999 CL500; 1992 500E:1991 560SEC
Maybe not discoloration...but a good fix anyway!

If the discoloration won't come off. It may not be discoloration at all. Perhaps in the cleaning process, you have burned through the dye on the leather. I had a similar incident with one of my cars.

I took my car to a quality upholstery shop that specializes in high end car interiors, Bentley, Rolls, Ferrari. They resprayed the wheel with fresh dye and it looks great, better than ever. I dropped it off before lunch and picked the car up by 4pm. I only noticed a slight texture change till I drove the car a few times and my hands rubbed over the wheel.

Last edited by market000; 03-23-2007 at 01:01 PM.