Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Cleaning my fog lights.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2007 | 01:50 AM

1993 190E 2.6
Cleaning my fog lights.

I drive a 1993 190E. The fog lights, like some might imagine, were old and nasty looking.

I took 10w40 motor oil and wiped it on them.

They look smooth and newer. I dont know what they used to look like when they didnt look nasty, but I know they look much better now.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone else ever doing this. Are there any short term/ long term affects of rubbing motor oil on your lenses? Ive noticed my fogs lights are MUCH brighter now!

I would love some feedback on this. Ill see if I can do some before/after pics if this gets any request for some.
Old 04-10-2007 | 04:03 PM

CL500 AMG
Try some WD40.
Old 04-11-2007 | 12:26 PM

1993 190E 2.6
There already nice and clean.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever rubbed motor oil on them before? If there might be any negitive effects?
Old 04-11-2007 | 07:53 PM
Almost a Member!

It seems like a petrolium product would degrade the plastic. Not an expert however. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-11-2007 | 08:02 PM

1993 190E 2.6
i thoguht so too. Ill take some before and after. If I can find some good before.
Old 04-12-2007 | 05:40 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Use caution if you use WD-40 as it contains strong hydrocarbon (aliphatic) solvents, which may cause the paint / plastic surfaces to become clouded (opaque) or compromise non-neoprene rubber, it is also highly flammable (easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames) Don’t let it drip onto the brake pads as they will become ineffective and / or grab and squeal (MSD) –http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds...aerosol.us.pdf

Removing Oxidation or scratches from Vehicle headlights, Fog or Brake lights (polycarbonate)
In the late 1980’s, vehicle manufacturers changed the lighting lens system materials used for head lights from glass to Lexan (plastic ) to protect expensive lamps (headlight assemblies range from 500-$700+) from flying stones and road debris. The lens starts to exhibit an opaque appearance and then a yellow hue on the outside of the lenses and can severely restrict the amount of light reaching the road. Original equipment material (OEM) suppliers started to add a UVR protection to the surface of the lens in an attempt to reduce this condition and prolong the usable life of the lens.

The lens has a silicone-based coating applied to its outer surface, some manufacturers apply two different types of coatings to the outer surface of the lens, these coatings are mainly for UVR protection, but are also for impact and abrasion resistance, once the coating (s) fail the lens surface will occlude (clouding or yellowing)
While most of the cloudiness is on the surface, severely discoloured lens cannot be brought back to optical clarity. If you live in a southern state, this discoloration can become noticeable in as little as two-years. You could also use a metal polish (Reckitt and Coleman’s Brasso®)

Novus 1 - gently cleans all plastics without scratching, leaves a lustrous shine that resists fogging, repels dust, and eliminates static.
Novus 2 - removes fine scratches, haziness, and abrasions from most plastics (exceptional for removing scratches from Plexiglas). Use repeatedly and restore faded and discoloured plastics.
Novus 3 -removes heavy scratches and abrasions from most acrylic surfaces. Contains abrasives, not for use on eyeglasses, polycarbonate, or coated plastics, final finishing also requires the use of Novus 2 http://www.modernplastics.com.
Old 04-12-2007 | 11:45 PM

1993 190E 2.6
THat was very well explained. But, it still didnt help with the using motor oil, on a headlight question.

I do know alot mroe about headlgihts then 5 minutes ago.