Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Ink on Leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Ink on Leather

Hello, everyone:

I noticed an ink mark (ballpoint or rollerball) on the back seat of my gf's car. It's Nappa leather and I was planning to use Leatherique on it, but was afraid to do more harm than good, in case there was another recommendation. Can someone help, please? It's a color similar to the present-day cognac found in the new S/CL's. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Leatherique will get it out...go for it.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Ink stains:
Some ballpoint ink stains can be sponged clean using 303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover. If this doesn't completely remove the stain, the other alternative is to use Townsend Leather™ Ink & Stain Remover, will removes ink, crayon, lipstick, heel scuffs and other difficult stains from finished leather.

Hairspray- contains alcohol to help it dry quickly, alcohol and / or solvents can severely damage the finish of the leather (and/or the urethane covering); even a small amount may leave a permanent mark.

Alternative products - heavy ink stains can be removed with Leather Masters - Leather Ink Killer
This is a very strong cleaner, which could remove the leather dye, therefore use with extreme caution (do not let it well for any length of time) not exactly WOWO but you get my meaning; small amounts often - http://www.topoftheline.com/leather-repair-products.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are no guarantees but I think Leatherique is a very safe and effective leather cleaner and conditioner that should remove it. It may take multiple applications and some patience but it typically removes most stains for me. It's also Detailed Image's May Special so now is the time to try it out!

Greg @ Detailed Image