Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

White marks on MB tex and vinyl

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
White marks on MB tex and vinyl

I have an 07 C230 and I keep getting these reoccurring white marks on the MB tex seats, glovebox, dash, etc. I use 303 cleaner and 303 protectant for all interior surfaces. The 303 cleaner doesn't seem to take out the marks. But, the 303 protectant will cover them up for the most part. Any ideas?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Arctic White C230
I've had this issue too on my seats only. I use an interior protectant by turtle wax and it seems to just cover them up because they become visible again and it's always in the same spot. I began to think it was the way I sat in the seat, but since yours are other places than just the seats, I'm not sure what to recommend.

Whatever advice you get i'm going to use as well
Old 06-14-2007, 04:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Sounds like some of the cleaner is not being absorbed, not come across this before so this is a SWAG- clean the surfaces with 10:1 d-limonene based (citrus) APC like P21S Total Auto Wash / distilled water and a med soft scrubbing brush
Old 06-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm... Are these marks possible stains/contamination or faded material? Any pictures? Just trying to better understand the situation.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Sounds like some of the cleaner is not being absorbed, not come across this before so this is a SWAG- clean the surfaces with 10:1 d-limonene based (citrus) APC like P21S Total Auto Wash / distilled water and a med soft scrubbing brush
I have some P21S Total Auto Wash, I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Hmmm... Are these marks possible stains/contamination or faded material? Any pictures? Just trying to better understand the situation.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Faded material, I sure hope not my car is not even 3 months old yet. Once I get it back from the dealer, I'll snap a few pics.

The marks are on the passenger seat where my wife usually touches the seat, on the glovebox door the marks are like fingerprints near the handle, and there are some on the driver's seat, where my shirt lifted up and my bare back touched the seat, so I suspect that is from sweat.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:29 PM

2007 Arctic White C230
It looks like mine was excess cleaner. I could pick it off, even though it took me a while to pick at it, but it did eventually come off without leaving any damage behind on the seat itself.

Looks like I'll be going easy on the protectant from now on

If it does for some reason keep happening, pictures will be supplied! Goodluck Johnand.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, here are some pics: (Click on the pic to open the original high res version)

Oh, and I know the interior is filthy, and I am embarrassed to even show pics, but I am just about ready to do a full detail.

Notice the white marks on the inner lower seat bolster here.

Here are all the marks on the glovebox door.

And here, notice the marks on the lower seatback and the few on the armrest.

I tried what TOGWT suggested using the P21S autowash diluted 10:1, but used a microfiber to scrub, rinse, and wipe dry. It seemed to help a little, but they are still there. I will try again with a brush as suggested, just wanted to start off with less, and add more if needed.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:31 PM

2007 Arctic White C230
Hmmm. After those pics, I'm not sure we had the same white marks. Those almost look like grease, from hands/body. Sweat, etc. The MB Tex is so porous, and since you already tried the autowash, I'm not sure what else will help

Best of luck to you!

*** (Dumb question I'm sure but have you tried lightly buffing the white marks with an orange oil degreaser formula? Those seem to do wonders over the typical lemon degreasers)
Old 06-25-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have an exact answer to your question

but I had taken my car to the dealer complaining about the way the interior materials wer wearing, he used a cleaner from a spray can and it came right off. He gave me fresh can incase it happens again. I'll look at the can and post the name.

But I do have a gripe, why do they use "MB Tex" and not leather on these cars? That type of interior material should be reserved for Fords and Toyotas.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by chairman
but I had taken my car to the dealer complaining about the way the interior materials wer wearing, he used a cleaner from a spray can and it came right off. He gave me fresh can incase it happens again. I'll look at the can and post the name.

But I do have a gripe, why do they use "MB Tex" and not leather on these cars? That type of interior material should be reserved for Fords and Toyotas.
A 'real leather package' is available as an extra (my thoughts-real leather as an extra on an M-B? should be standard on this marque)
Old 06-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm... I'm still not quite sure what these marks are. Since your seats are so new you're probably right it's not from wear and tear. Any ideas on what these marks are or where they came from? Have you tried a leather cleaner and conditioner? I would try using a combo like the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil. This is a great formula that should work great on your seats and help remove contaminates if thats what causing these marks. The conditioners from the Rejuvenator Oil force proteins back into the leather or leatherette which helps release foreign contaminates. Apply the Prestine Clean next to further release contaminates and condition the seats. Hopefully this will help remove those white marks.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Just wanted to update this thread. I found out the marks were from my wifes lotions and cosmetics. She was putting her hand on the seat in those spots to get out of the car. I tried a few things to remove them, and found the only thing to remove them was a Magic Eraser. Then I followed up w/ 303 protectant. They still come back after a while, but are much easier to clean now.

It appears the Magic Eraser doesn't hurt the material, but I wanted to double check with the experts here to see if they have any problems with using the Magic Erasers?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:04 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
No problems with the Magic Eraser over the past year or so on MB-Tex.