Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

cleaning chrome wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M5
cleaning chrome wheels?

I 3 piece chrome wheels 19" Zauber Gettins, I am having a hard time to always keep them clean? Clean you please explain how to clean my chrome and keep it shiny???

Thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by MockbaBenz
I 3 piece chrome wheels 19" Zauber Gettins, I am having a hard time to always keep them clean? Clean you please explain how to clean my chrome and keep it shiny???
Practice, practice, practice!

I've had chrome wheels on two MBs and a Lexus. The only thing you can do is constantly, carefully clean them. There are things people spray on them, which maybe work a little, and things people put between the wheels and the brakes (to cut down brake dust) which probably overheat the brakes and really look cheesy. It's a matter of biting the bullet and keeping a clean microfiber (or microfibre, for our Canadian/British/Australian/South African/Kiwi/other former subjects of the Crown friends) handy in the car solely for those beautiful rims.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Chrome Cleaning:
Use a product that doesn’t contain harsh solvents, petroleum distillates or ammonia (Zymol Metall Britework Polish) A metal polish in the form of a pleasant-smelling, non-toxic soap - P21S Polishing Soap (not intended for use on painted, clear coated or anodized surfaces) it is a solid, clay-based (Kaolin) polish that applies with its own sponge. Simply wet the sponge with water, wipe it across the Polishing Soap, and squeeze the sponge to create lather and begin polishing and then rinse with clean water.

Once the brake dust / soil has been removed apply a polymer sealant for protection, this will also make future cleaning easier. A polymer is recommended as it has a higher melting temperature (350oF) compared to Carnauba wax (180oF) a wheel surface will reach a temperature in excess of 120oF due to rotor friction and in excess of 195oF when parked in the sun.

Alternate products- Happich SeamiChrome Polish - http://www.caswellplating.com - Chrome Polish and hot environment polish - http://www.englishcustompolishing.com-
P21S Finish Restorer – http://www.autogeek.com
Old 06-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chrome looks great but it does require a little extra care to keep clean and minimize the possibility of adding fine scratches to it. I recommend you clean chrome with the pH balanced P21S Wheel Gel. This is a 100% safe wheel cleaner that won't stain the wheel or risk any damage. While being very safe it's also very strong and helps safely remove contamination. The gel formula clings to horizontal and vertical surfaces so it's a very thorough cleaning. For more difficult stains that need a light agitation I recommend using a clean microfiber towel or mitt. Using a dirty mitt or towel will likely add lots of fine scratches over time. Rinse your towel or mitt frequently to release contamination and replace them as needed. Now to protect your wheels apply the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. This product will apply a micro thin barrier between your wheels and brake dust that comes off your brake pads at several hundred degrees. It helps prevent pitting and heavily built up brake dust. It also reduces the amount of time you spend cleaning your wheels in the future. Let me know if you have other questions about caring for your wheels or anything else related to detailing.

Greg @ Detailed Image