Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Local car washes and rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local car washes and rotors

Just got a 2002 c32 and unfortunately, I cannot wash it at my residence as I live in a high rise condo. Therefore, I have to go to a local car wash, albeit a self-serve, to have my car cleaned. My question is, are the cleaning products at a local car wash safe to use on my car? They don't really let you bucket wash anywhere but it is open 24-hours so I can sometimes get away with it overnight. Secondly, how do I make sure that I don't ruin the rotors? I understand that they need to be cool however I have to drive to the car wash, already heating them up. How long would I need to wait before getting them wet with cool water?

On a side note, how has everyone's experiences been with mobile detailing companies? Especially as it pertains to engine detailing? I'm considering that as an option. Also, how often does it need to be cleaned? Thanks in advance. I have read the stickys.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Give the rotors / wheel surfaces as much time as you can to 'cool down' as its difficult to feel h cot/cool they are due to limited access.

A viable non-scratch (using the proper methodology) alternative and also one that preserves water resources-

Waterless Wash:
This and similar products are ideal for use when water restrictions are in force, limited or no water available or to reserve the lessening water resources that we do have available

Optimum No Rinse (ONR) - http://www.superiorcarcare.net/opnoriwash.html Is an (almost) waterless wash; formulated with surfactants to keep dirt in suspension, avoiding surface contact, it also provides surface lubrication, thereby avoiding surface marring.

Use a Monster Fluffy micro fibre towel for washing. Take one towel and wet it with ONR mixed as per directions. Wring it out and make a single pass per clean side of the towel. You can get 4-8 passes, with the towel folded in quarters. Each pass is then done with a perfectly clean towel surface and you're never rinsing any dirt out and releasing it in to your wash or rinse water. You can do the whole car with 2-4 towels. Apply no pressure to the towel. I just glide it over the surface and only make one pass in one direction with a clean surface.

If you use the two bucket method (one fitted with a grit guard) which highly recommended with this type of product, the wash solution will stay clean enough to be reusable as a pre-soak solution or for cleaning wheel surfaces. ONR is formulated to ensure that dirt particles won’t mix with the solution but fall to the bottom of the bucket.

There in no need to rinse afterwards with ONR, but if you feel you must, please ensure that the water goes to a sewer and not a storm drain; either way the lubricating polymers in the No Rinse do a better job of protecting the finish than conventional car soap. Use in tandem with Optimum Spray Wax for a ‘just waxed’ look

If you use the two bucket method (one fitted with a grit guard) the wash solution will stay clean enough to be reusable. ONR is formulated to ensure that dirt particles won’t mix with the solution but fall to the bottom of the bucket.

Products- Monster Fluffy towel - http://www.detailersparadise.com
Optimum No Rinse (ONR) – http//:www.optimumcarcare.com
(See also Quick Easy Wash (QEW)
Old 06-18-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Do car washes exist that let you pay to use their water, but you can bucket clean your vehicle? What is a reasonable amount of time to have the rotors/wheels cool? It's hard enough being that it's 105 degrees outside here.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
When I lived in a condo I used to used the diy wash late at night

As for the wheels I have a heat sensor 'gun' (sounds like something from a comic book) anyway you point it at the surface you want to measure and it gives a temp via an IR beam (also useful to check surface temps before washing etc)