Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to: Conditioning leather seats with Leatherique

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Hi All,
I am having the same exact situation as Jackpro1. My E55 leather is showing some serious wear+tear @ only 13,000 mi.
It is currently very cold hear in Las Vegas and I was wondering how difficult it is to do the job correctly in the cold weather.
Also what kit should I buy?
Sorry if this question has been asked before. I would assume I should buy enough product form maybe 8 applications.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-27-2007, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230 sport
will leatherique work on a 2000 c class (my car)? or do i have vinyl easy-clean seats? it feels leathery...
Old 03-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leatherique is designed to work on leather and leatherette/vinyl seats. I've used it on both kinds and it works great either way.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-07-2007, 11:16 PM

2000 C230 sport
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Leatherique is designed to work on leather and leatherette/vinyl seats. I've used it on both kinds and it works great either way.

Greg @ Detailed Image
thx greg
Old 07-13-2007, 10:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Well, I have just finished my first application of Leatherique products on my two front seats. I am not sure how to diagnose the outcome. Should there be immediate result? Someone had said, the optimal time before one sees the results are sometimes after or about a week?

My leather is definitely conditioned although i have yet to see the results i am looking for. I will give the seats a second application in a week and report back.
I did take before and after pictures as well

p.s Maybe I didn't put enough RO on
Old 09-24-2007, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 E-550 4-matic Sport; '15 RAM, '15 X3, '15 Charger SRT
Leather seat treatment

After reading these posts and the ones over at DT University I am concerned about any applications to my leather in the 08 E-Class other than mild cleaning. It is still not clear to me what we should use for treatment/protection on what seems to be chrome tanned leather with some sort of layer on top. Does anyone know what MB actually recommends or how to find out? I don't have my E-Class yet to look in the owners manual.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Banned

Thanks for reading up on the Leatherique products on Detail University. It's great to see members using the forum as a resource, because there is tons of great info on there. I don't know if MB has an actual specific set of products it recommends. The Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil should be an excellent cleaner and conditioner for your seats. The Leatherique products can be used on almost all raw leather, coated leather or synthetic leather. If the leather is coated or synthetic then I would protect the seats from UV fading with the 303 Aerospace Protectant. This is a great product for protection and a matte finish. You described the leather as appearing to be "chrome tanned leather", could you elaborate on this. I'm not familiar with leather matching this description.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 09-24-2007, 12:50 PM

08 E-550 4-matic Sport; '15 RAM, '15 X3, '15 Charger SRT
Leather seat treatment

Here is a link as to the different tanning processes.
http://www.westernexpeditions.com/co...herHistory.htm

Chrome tanning is covered under Mineral Tanning. I am still not certain which MB uses but think it is chrome tanning. I just called my Denver dealer and spoke to parts and he said MB approves both a Meguiars product as well as Lexol for sale. The Lexol is contrary to everything I've read since it is petroleum based. He said he has no negative complaints from customers on these

I still believe so far that a coating is applied to the leather on MB and other cars and there is a danger in removing this with the wrong product or procedure but I am reserving judgment as this topic progresses.

I asked MBUSA what they recommend and haven't heard back yet but will post when I hear.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by Roseylv
Hi All,
I am having the same exact situation as Jackpro1. My E55 leather is showing some serious wear+tear @ only 13,000 mi.
It is currently very cold hear in Las Vegas and I was wondering how difficult it is to do the job correctly in the cold weather.
Also what kit should I buy?
Sorry if this question has been asked before. I would assume I should buy enough product form maybe 8 applications.

Thanks in advance
besides cleaning and conditioning wear and tear is cuased mostly by your in and out habits that cause scraping and wear marks. to combat this use towels to minimize unecessary wear. just my 2 cents
Old 05-13-2008, 03:25 AM

320CLK
I did not want my clear coat taken off!

I applied Lexol to my interior and lost all my clear coating! Unlike most here, I actually liked my clear coat. I liked the shiny, protected look. I liked the feel of sliding in and out of the car and the feel of the steering wheel.

Now that it is gone, is there a way to get it back?

I am starting to believe that those that have a clear coat should ONLY use mild soap and leather conditioner. Once you remove the clear coat, you can't get it back.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:55 PM

06 CLK500, 05 ML500
Do I have the clearcoat? What should i be using to keep it perfect?

The inner portions of my seats have small holes.

Here are pics, sorry for the poor quality.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails How to: Conditioning leather seats with Leatherique-288873352_980112120_0.jpeg   How to: Conditioning leather seats with Leatherique-288918677_980276028_0.jpeg  
Old 06-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Banned

I clean seats with the tiny holes basically exactly the same. The only difference is that I may be a little more conservative with the product around those areas, so I don't oversaturate the area. I would highly recommend using the Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean on your seats. It should do an outstanding job of cleaning and conditioning them so they look clean and feel soft. I would use this formula 2 - 4 times per year depending on how much traffic the seats get. For maintenance you can just wipe them down with a slightly damp microfiber towel. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-30-2008, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
1.) i want to dye the middle of my ash leather seats and headrests, black.......i plan on purchasing the leatherique dye but am wondering do u need to buy the kit which includes the rejuvenator oil and pristine clean....??

my seats are in pretty good condition and all i really want to do is dye the inserts black.......should i get the other products along with the dye??

2.) also, what size should i get if i want to do my front and rear seat inserts?

3.) is the forum discount still available?

sorry for all the questions and thanks!

Last edited by deyainrdy4ds; 06-30-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds
1.) i want to dye the middle of my ash leather seats and headrests, black.......i plan on purchasing the leatherique dye but am wondering do u need to buy the kit which includes the rejuvenator oil and pristine clean....??

my seats are in pretty good condition and all i really want to do is dye the inserts black.......should i get the other products along with the dye??

2.) also, what size should i get if i want to do my front and rear seat inserts?

3.) is the forum discount still available?

sorry for all the questions and thanks!
You will have to contact Leatherique for more information about what they recommend for dying. At some point you'll want to clean and condition the seats but I'm not sure how quick that is. We do offer a forum discount at Detailed Image, the coupon code is 10offMBW.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
You will have to contact Leatherique for more information about what they recommend for dying. At some point you'll want to clean and condition the seats but I'm not sure how quick that is. We do offer a forum discount at Detailed Image, the coupon code is 10offMBW.

Greg @ Detailed Image
thanks...i was talkn about a discount directly from leatheriques site though? thru some guy named george that was mentioned in some posts on this thread..
Old 08-09-2008, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds
thanks...i was talkn about a discount directly from leatheriques site though? thru some guy named george that was mentioned in some posts on this thread..
The president's name is George Pavlisko Jr. I know there was a recent price increase but he frequently offers discounts. He has a yahoogroup where you can see pics and ask questions also. He recently mentioned that those members will receive discounts. Click this link and join his group, it is free.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...guid=310779598

Last edited by Musikmann; 08-09-2008 at 01:51 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-14-2008, 07:43 PM

GL550 , CL6.3 AMG
What about Prepping Agent ? How often can i use it?
And how to use it?
The cars: SL63 and Lexus GX470.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:07 PM

Jag XKR
Hey

Im trying to clean perforated leather that is in my Mercedes SL65. It is perforated for ventilated seats and those holes are big squares, so thus I am a bit hesitant in putting the leatherique RO and pristine clean on it -- Are the ventilated seats a problem? After trying Armor-All Wipes to see that all it does is put grease on the seats, I'm looking for a solution to treat these leather seats, but have found nothing besides the Leatherique RO + Pristine Clean Combo -- Would it work? These are black seats and the leather is black on the dashboard/everywhere aswell.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
Originally Posted by Musikmann
The president's name is George Pavlisko Jr. I know there was a recent price increase but he frequently offers discounts. He has a yahoogroup where you can see pics and ask questions also. He recently mentioned that those members will receive discounts. Click this link and join his group, it is free.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...guid=310779598
sweet. tnx for the heads up. think i recall a DIY you wrote about leatherique so wanting to give this a try.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 c63, 2010 E63
I own a c63 with the amg leather package, what is the recommended product for cleaning and protecting the leather?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts
'06 E55
Scuff marks on the side bolster

I have some scuff marks on my driver side bolster and it seems like the leather color has come off ? Can this be fixed ?
Thanks
Old 08-02-2009, 11:47 AM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Originally Posted by hdtv22
Im trying to clean perforated leather that is in my Mercedes SL65. It is perforated for ventilated seats and those holes are big squares, so thus I am a bit hesitant in putting the leatherique RO and pristine clean on it -- Are the ventilated seats a problem? After trying Armor-All Wipes to see that all it does is put grease on the seats, I'm looking for a solution to treat these leather seats, but have found nothing besides the Leatherique RO + Pristine Clean Combo -- Would it work? These are black seats and the leather is black on the dashboard/everywhere as well.
I have the same question since I have the air cooled seats too. Clearly, one does not spray anything directly on the seats. It seems the best approach is to put a small amount of the product on a cloth and apply.

What do the people who make a living at this suggest?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jen_Kenne
I have the same question since I have the air cooled seats too. Clearly, one does not spray anything directly on the seats. It seems the best approach is to put a small amount of the product on a cloth and apply.

What do the people who make a living at this suggest?
With these seats I recommend you just use less product at one time. You can apply it on a cloth or applicator but you can also apply a light mist as well. With the Rejuvenator Oil I apply more product as needed instead of using quite a bit at one time.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-02-2009, 12:13 PM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
With these seats I recommend you just use less product at one time. You can apply it on a cloth or applicator but you can also apply a light mist as well. With the Rejuvenator Oil I apply more product as needed instead of using quite a bit at one time.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thanks. That is logical. Any experience with Connelly's Hide Food or Resurrection Oil? Or, for that matter, Neatsfoot Oil from the Tack Room?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:37 AM

2016 GLE400
Originally Posted by David N.
Yes, that's true. I totally forgaot about that. MB has that option(ventilated seats).

But if that option is not present, and the seats are perforated, then it's safe to assume that there is a top coat.
So i have a 2005 C55 which all come in nappa leather apparently and i have no idea if i have ventilated seats or not but i do have seat warmers. and there are vents underneath the seats to the rear passenger's feet. any who if the the holes in the leather are for the seat warmers (or whatever ventilated if it is) then how come the back seats have holes too? am i missing anything? Is it safe to say that the seats dont have a vinyl coating? i tried the water drop method someone suggests. and took pictures. what are your takes on it?

(click for larger)
pic 1: drop on smooth leather and perforated parts
is the water trail left behind considered "absorption"?
pic 2: nothing really interesting was happening so i smeared the water. absorption?
pic 3:tad bit more smearing.
pic 4: closeups
if you really look at the closeups it still almost looks as thought the "smeared water trails" are just a bunch of tiny bubbles.

though when i wipe the leather with a damp microfiber the leather seems to absorb plenty water. does the c55 have the clear vinyl covering?

another question:
Originally Posted by David N.
Interesting. If you have a chance please do post some pics. So far my leather has not streached. I don't use any leather products on it. Just a damp towel to wipe up any dust.

does leatherique reduce stretching? wont making your leather softer make it more stretchy? and since its AMG is a more sporty car you want it to be bit more on the firm side. plus my front seats are already starting to crease a bit and i dont want them to crease too much more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to: Conditioning leather seats with Leatherique