Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

question about (gulp!) car wash for maintanence

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Red face question about (gulp!) car wash for maintanence

although i'm a newbie to the detailing forum, I know that car wash is probably considered to be a dirty word around here. I am awaiting delivery of a E500 and have deen doing some reading here about zaino. since my car is silver, i'm wondering if it is worth the effort though. I could see black, red, etc. If I do decide to go the Zaino route, i am wondering what folks do who live in a similiar climate to mine (Long Island NY). I'm sure I wont be into detailing the car when it's 10 degrees with a howling wind in February. conversely when it's 95 with 100% humidity (I gotta move to San Diego). Basically, would taking the car to a "touchless" car wash for the times I can't detail properly due to weather "ruin" the initial effort to "zaino-ise". Anyone happen to know a good detailer on Long Island? Thanks for your patience, chris
Old 10-16-2002, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zaino will stand up to the harsh detergents used at touchless car washes better than regular waxes.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
I live in NH and I only plan on applying Zaino twice a year at most. People say it will last and I hope they're right.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
i applied 3 coats of Z on sunday, although the car looks....ok...the protection is really good..the car is silver, so thats why it doesnt look that good...but it was raining yesterday, so there were water beads on the car....this morning, there was nothing on the car.....no water no nothing.....no water spots either, my dad was very veryimpressed with it....buy Z though.....it isnt bad, but it would look better on darker colors, like our e500 is going to be obs blk....it looks very good too
Old 10-20-2002, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
The key to Zaino is in the surface prep. I just saw BMMS8's silver car today. The Zaino would have looked much better if the car had been cleaned with a chemical cleaner first.

Unless you are prepared to go all the way, don't bother imo. A new however, requires less initial work.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Originally posted by JustinTRW
The key to Zaino is in the surface prep. I just saw BMMS8's silver car today. The Zaino would have looked much better if the car had been cleaned with a chemical cleaner first.
Dumb question: what chemical cleaner would you recommend? I also have a new car and am wondering how to start if I decide to use Zaino.

thanks.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
dawn will strip all the old wax, and clean the paint well, then clay the car, that will get everything out of the paint
Old 11-17-2002, 06:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Originally posted by bmms8
dawn will strip all the old wax, and clean the paint well, then clay the car, that will get everything out of the paint
Thanks ... sounds simple enough. I'm still waiting for the delivery of the clay bar I ordered (clay magic & clay lube). When it arrives, I will try it on my old car!