Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

dealer left my car under a tree so there is now sap on the moonroof and rear window

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
dealer left my car under a tree so there is now sap on the moonroof and rear window

i took my car to service the other day and i think my dealer must've parked my car under a tree or somethin. i have tree sap on the sunroof and drivers side passenger window. i'm glad that the sap is not on the paint. the sap wont come off. i tried washing the car, and claying it which only took a little bit of sap off, but the sap has dried and hardened from being baked under the sun. i cant seem to remove it does anyone know how to???? should i just use the old method of razor blade and window cleaner???? atleast the sap is on the window and not on the paint.... any help would be great
Old 08-05-2007, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' BMW M3
Try Turtle Wax's Bug & Tar remover.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
Methanol or rubbing alcohol, the stronger the faster.

Last edited by lars; 08-06-2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Always use the Least Abrasive Product First:
Always use the least abrasive product first-

(a) A safe solvent (Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner,
Stoner’s™ Tarminator or Mineral Spirits

(b) Detailer’s Clay

(c) A chemical / abrasive paint surface cleaner (Zaino Paint Cleaner Z-PC or Zaino All-In-One Z-AIO)

(d) An abrasive polish

(e) Wet-sand with 2500 / 3000 grit finishing paper

f) If the surface has been etched use an abrasive polish and a polisher (Rotary or Random orbital)

The same adage applies to abrasive polishes and foam pads –
Always use the least abrasive first before ‘stepping–up’ to the next abrasive level
Old 08-06-2007, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 E300 TD
Originally Posted by BlackLiquorish8
i took my car to service the other day and i think my dealer must've parked my car under a tree or somethin. i have tree sap on the sunroof and drivers side passenger window. i'm glad that the sap is not on the paint. the sap wont come off. i tried washing the car, and claying it which only took a little bit of sap off, but the sap has dried and hardened from being baked under the sun. i cant seem to remove it does anyone know how to???? should i just use the old method of razor blade and window cleaner???? atleast the sap is on the window and not on the paint.... any help would be great
Psh dealers, they need to be more concerned about the quality and care of the car...rather then the dough they get off ya!

Goodluck with the removal!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Follow TOGWT's advice. His list is basically exactly what I was thinking in virtually the same exact order too. The only thing I can add is that if the sap is very fresh you can sometimes remove it with very light pressure washing. I generally don't really like pressure washers but sometimes it's safer than rubbing hundreds of little dots all over your car, IMO. Please also be careful that any towels or rags you use are clean so you don't add micro-fine scratches. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-07-2007, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
thanx for the replies i will try to clean it when i get off work today!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
Originally Posted by lars
Methanol or rubbing alcohol, the stronger the faster.
thanx i used some rubbing alcohol and rubbed it with a napkin and got all of it out. it worked great! i finished it off with some auto glass cleaner and it is spotless thanx so much
Old 08-08-2007, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by BlackLiquorish8
thanx i used some rubbing alcohol and rubbed it with a napkin and got all of it out. it worked great! i finished it off with some auto glass cleaner and it is spotless thanx so much
Thank goodness you only used the napkin on the glass. If you were to have used it on the paint you would scratch it badly since paper is really finely shredded wood!!!