Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Leather Seat Wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Leather Seat Wear

Just noticed that on my 04 E55 my seat leather is showing signs of wear, at the area where it supports your torso. Probably from rubbing on clothing as that part of our seat really comes out far. Any hints on how to repair it?
That's so weird as my 04 CLK55 seats are prefect...
Old 08-14-2007, 05:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Other than re-upholstering / replacing the leather hides I don't know of a way to 'repair' worn leather

Are you sure its 'worn' as opposed to creases that are dirt stained?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately this can be a common problem that's not always easy to fix. I find that the common cause for problems like this is the driver's method of getting in and out of the vehicle. To help prevent creases and wear and tear try lifting up out of the seat when exiting, as opposed to turning in your seat and sliding out (vice versa for getting in). The weight of an average person repeatedly getting in and out can wear away the material rather easily with enough time. If you have a different method of getting in and out of the two different vehicles it may explain why it's happening on one and not the other. If friction has caused the surface to actual wear off than there is no quick fix to replace the worn off material. If this is the case you may need to have the seat re-upholstered or replaced. If the seats are dry, dirty, faded, etc. you can try cleaning and conditioning the leather. To help restore the surface so it becomes soft yet strong I recommend using the Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Leatherique Prestine Clean. This is a powerful formula that can help seats look their best again. If you have any more questions about your seats or leather care please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-15-2007, 03:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Unfortunately this can be a common problem that's not always easy to fix. I find that the common cause for problems like this is the driver's method of getting in and out of the vehicle. To help prevent creases and wear and tear try lifting up out of the seat when exiting, as opposed to turning in your seat and sliding out (vice versa for getting in). The weight of an average person repeatedly getting in and out can wear away the material rather easily with enough time. If you have a different method of getting in and out of the two different vehicles it may explain why it's happening on one and not the other. If friction has caused the surface to actual wear off than there is no quick fix to replace the worn off material. If this is the case you may need to have the seat re-upholstered or replaced. If the seats are dry, dirty, faded, etc. you can try cleaning and conditioning the leather. To help restore the surface so it becomes soft yet strong I recommend using the Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Leatherique Prestine Clean. This is a powerful formula that can help seats look their best again. If you have any more questions about your seats or leather care please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thank's for the detailed reply. I do think you are right with respect to the habit of getting in and out of the car. Can that one piece of leather be replaced, or would they need to redo the entire seat?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad the information was helpful. I'm honestly not sure how your particular seat is put together so I'm not sure if that one part can be taken off or if you need a new seat. If you go on www.leatherique.com - Sales and Service they have a list of leather repair shops that may be in your area. A leather repair shop or dealer may be able to help you in more detail. Good luck and let us know if we can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image