Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

HELP! Rain X made my wipers skip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
HELP! Rain X made my wipers skip

I used the Rain X wipes, not the regular stuff, on the windshield and driver's window. It certainly does its job and makes the water bead up, but it also makes the wipers skip or jump on their return wipe. When they go up its fine, but as they wipe back down they jump a lot. This happens no matter how little or how much it is raining. Is there any solution to this? And if not, how can I get the Rain X off the window.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm... not exactly sure why it's skipping unless the glass is not smooth or the blade is not on properly. You should be able to strip off the Rain-X if you wash the glass with a dish liquid soap like Dawn or if you wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. You may want to switch to a gel based formula. I've had better luck with the Rain Clear Gel. If you get the kit I linked to you'll also get the Glass Scrub which will deep clean your glass and remove the old Rain-X if desired. I use this every time I apply protection to my glass to get the longest bonding time. Good luck and please let us know if you determine why it's skipping.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 09-24-2007, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Thank you Greg. I'm not really sure what is going on. The wipers are new MB as of about a month ago. They worked very well before the Rain X, but as soon as I put the Rain X on I have had problems. The only thing I can think of is that the Rain X is doing such a good job that there isn't enough water left on the return swipe so that is what makes them skip. Does this sound like a possible cause?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your theory is certainly possible. Windshield wipers generate a tremendous amount of pressure over a very small surface area. There would definitely be more friction on the return wipe when there is less moisture on the surface. Typically when I apply a protectant to my glass I use my wipers as little as needed, while always making you can see safely. If you run the blades dry it will create more friction on the surface, which will start to remove the coating of protection.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 09-25-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing Van
If you keep having the problem try a product called Aquapel. I myself have never used it but have heard rave reviews on this product. Its made by PPG, heres a linkhttp://www.tirerack.com/accessories/aquapel/aquapel.jsp
Old 09-26-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MB C230 Iridium Silver, 2007 Hummer H3 Slate Blue
Mine did the same exact thing and I believe it was from putting a wax on the windshield. As soon as I stripped the wax off it stopped making the chatter noise on the down swipe. The blades were also a month or two old and I have never had this problem on any of my other cars.