Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Bad Detail Job...now what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55
Bad Detail Job...now what?

All,

Well I had my car detailed about a week ago...and lets just say the paint is JACKED. swirl marks from front to rear. Its to a point where I park it outside just to make sure its dirty to hide all the damn swirl marks.

Anyways, I have taken it to a few places and they tell me it HAS to go to a paint shop to get fixed. So before I head out to a paint shop, I wanted to see if anyone else out there has had the same kind of problem and if so...how did you fix it?

FYI...the car is black too.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. "Swirls" to me are micro fine scratches that follow an arch like pattern. Swirls typically come from improper washing and drying tools and techniques, car washes, contaminated pads, etc. I believe what your seeing is what I refer to as "haze" or "holograms" instead of "swirls". These marks happen when too much friction is created during the buffing process. I'm not sure if I'm right but this would be my best guess, let me know what you think. If you could post a good picture I may be able to evaluate the severity of the marks.

If this is haze or swirls you can typically buff them out with a thorough and quality detail job that will most likely include multiple coats of polish. If the marks were really bad then maybe a repaint would be needed but this would have to be an extremely bad detail. I think you should consider documenting the damage and possibly addressing it with the detailer. What area are you from? Once I hear back from you I'll try to provide more information for you.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 09-12-2007, 06:15 PM

2004 E500
Rays CL55...I feel for you. I just had the EXACT same experience. I have a black E500 that was in great shape and had it waxed/polished. My detailer left a ton of swirl marks and even after I brought it back, it is still in bad shape. I agree that it is probably because they used the wrong pads or used too much pressure. I would beware of having it repainted so fast...these guys often over-shoot their recommendations. I was told that I need 'wet sanding' to get rid of mine, but I don't buy it. If it really is sooo bad that you do need a paint job, I'd sue your detailer for damages...as I would presume a paint job on a CL55 would probably cost 6-8 grand. I wish you luck...let us know how it all turns out.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 PM

06 E55
thanks for the heads up guys.

Lucky for me, the bad detail wasn't on the CL...but my toy car. I will post some pics when the next time I was it.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:22 PM
A_B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
Try washing your car and applying Zymol HD cleanse it preps the car for waxing by removing oxidized paint, but your car will no longer have any protection from the previous wax.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Almost a Member!

'07 ML63 & '07 SLK55,Ferrari F430 spider on order
use mcguires polish,apply by hand ,goodluck
Old 09-17-2007, 10:31 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Ray:

If you me want to give it a try, holla. I don't know if you remember me, but I had that champagne 202 and I came over to Status to get my ECU reprogrammed. PM me if you want to see cars I have done.

-Brandon
Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
if anything i would just bring it to a place that know how to detail correctly because all those swirls and scratches can be compound and buffed out
Old 09-28-2007, 07:37 AM

2007 C230SS
post on www.autopia.com - members there are very helpful and you can usually find a reputable detailer.

good luck..
Old 09-29-2007, 03:39 AM

2012 E350 coupe
where are you located?

if you are in socal.. let me know.. we can work something out