Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

water-only washing the car - Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
water-only washing the car - Yes or no?

We all know black cars is a pain, I would wash it and put it back in the garage, drive it about 2 or 3 times a week and before long it gets dusty more than dirty. So I clean it off with a spray mist like Pinnacle or Blackfire. I just thought of this idea if I just use water to rinse it and dry without washing shampoo. Is this bad and has anyone tried it?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you asking if you can use water instead of a quick detailer to remove the dust? If so, then my answer would be yes, but it's far riskier. Quick detailers help provide lubrication to the surface and encapsulate contaminates so they can safely glide off the paint. This helps prevent contaminates from being ground in to the clear coat, which could potentially add fine swirls or scratches.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 09-26-2007, 05:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
At one time RR, AstonM, Bentley, etc would recommend washing vehicle paint surface with just plain water and drying with a chamois towel... but that was then, we now know that as Greg has alluded to, lubrication and modern surfactants are key to avoiding surface marring or worse