Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Clear bra removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Clear bra removal

I just recently purchased a car. It has one of those clear bras on there but it looks as if it's been on there for quite some time and has now cracked up and yellowed. I'm not sure what brand it is but i really need to remove it as it looks really bad. I tried peeling it but it keeps tearing. I'm thinking maybe to use a hair dryer to heat it but i'm not sure if that's the best idea. Any recommendations?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by Ryanr317
I just recently purchased a car. It has one of those clear bras on there but it looks as if it's been on there for quite some time and has now cracked up and yellowed. I'm not sure what brand it is but i really need to remove it as it looks really bad. I tried peeling it but it keeps tearing. I'm thinking maybe to use a hair dryer to heat it but i'm not sure if that's the best idea. Any recommendations?
Using a hair dryer will help but if it is cracked you are going to encounter tearing. When I removed mine it was only about a year old. I did use the hair dryer to help the removal and it was still a bear to get off.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Auto mask removal - if the film is properly applied to a fully cured painted vehicle, it can be removed, usually in one piece, without damaging the paint surfaces beneath the film. It is not difficult to remove, apply heat to a corner with a hair dryer (not a heat gun) pull the film at an angle not straight up and work slowly to avoid breaking / tearing the vinyl (like any applied vinyl, the longer it’s been applied the more difficult it will be to remove) work slowly and be patient. Use detailer’s clay and /or 1:1 Isopropyl Alcohol / distilled water to clean any adhesive residue.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
If it were me, I would park the car facing the sun and wait until mid/late afternoon to pull it off. Having the film and underlying surface warm will be helpful. Think: Plastics will stretch when warm but break when cold. You will still need a hair dryer/heat gun to ease it off. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a professional look at it. We have seen some poorly installed material that are not actually paint protection film, rather imitation films that are clear vinyl stickers...similar to things being sold on ebay for about $100. If it is an imitation clear bra, then it could break up in hundreds of pieces, which is very time consuming to remove.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Originally Posted by Premier
Have a professional look at it. We have seen some poorly installed material that are not actually paint protection film, rather imitation films that are clear vinyl stickers...similar to things being sold on ebay for about $100. If it is an imitation clear bra, then it could break up in hundreds of pieces, which is very time consuming to remove.
That's exactly what it was because this was in thousands of pieces like you said. It took hours to get off. What a pain.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
That's why I am getting my professionally done. Usually the pro jobs do not do this.