Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Badly Oxidized aluminum rims - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 500SEC
Badly Oxidized aluminum rims - suggestions?

I have a car that has been sitting for a while and the mercedes aluminum rims are badly oxidixed. They are probably pitted and I want to try to bring them back from the edge. I was hoping to use steel wool (start with very abrasive and move to finer stuff). I am not sure I can remove all the pits but I am going to try. Perhaps I also need to get an orbital sander, some steel wool buffing pads, and an abrasive cleaner. Any suggestions?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:38 AM

A clean car
THe pitting will look better, but may not polish out all the way depending on how bad it is. your going to have to acid wash them, just make sure to dilute the acid with water to avoid burning the wheel. Then you have to degrese it to get the rest of the dirt off. Then sand them and polish them with a rotary buffer. This should be done by only a pro, cause you can do alot of damage with those buffers and sanding! Hope this helps. I can do that, but i dont know where you are located...Hope this helps

john
Old 01-24-2008, 05:18 PM

2003 E500
At Barrett-Jackson this past week, we used Adam's Polishes Metal Polish #1 and #2. Wow!

They are a pure liquid (not a paste) and are extremely easy to work with. For aluminum, you use #1 first and leave the residue on there. Follow up with #2 for less cut and protection. The results were awesome and it was extremely easy to work with. We made some poorly maintained aluminum wheels look like chrome!

Wish I had pics, but take my word for it.