Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

White film after Zymol carbon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
White film after Zymol carbon

I've been noticing that after i wax my car i get his white film on the hood of the car right after it finishes raining. I wax the car by hand and use that pre wax applicator stuff, do i need to use a high speed buffer so i don't get the white film?
Old 11-16-2002, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
The wax should buff out by hand, but try doing small sections at a time (applying, then buffing off). This might help, along with wiping the car down with a QD afterwards.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
hmm, try a wash to see if things level out.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
i've washed it, but the white film just comes back after it rains....
Old 11-17-2002, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
hmm what are you using to wash it. How do u know its a film? Does this "film" wipe off after it rains or does it stay on there. My suggestion is to polish the car with a mild abrasive (P21S GEPC) and retry the zymol. If that doesnt work id junk the zymol. I never was a big fan of their products.
Old 11-17-2002, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
i use zymol clear to wash it. It's filmy because i can wipe it off with my finger. Comes off fairly easily, just don't know why it's there in the first place
Old 11-24-2002, 01:13 PM

an import
I use the Zymol 'Fantasy' wax and I've never seen this happend before.

Is this 'film' appearing after 'every' rain even weeks after you have waxed? Is this only appearing on the hood and not the rest of the car (roof, trunk lid, etc)?
Old 11-24-2002, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
the first time i waxed my car totally (whole car) .. at first the white film only showed up on the hood and later all over the car.... the second time i waxed it.. i only waxed the hood and the next day it rained... no film that day.... however, the day after that it rained again.... this time there was film..... i'm not sure... is it my waxing technique (front to back motions and wipe off)? or is it because i don't use a highspeed or orbital buffer?....
Old 11-24-2002, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Hmmm, how do you know the white film is because of the wax? I'm pretty sure you were able to buff it out completely.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:35 PM

an import
I don't think it's your technique. This is the same thing that I do, and do by hand as well. How noticable is the film? Are you sure that it wasn't all over the car the first time?

My first guess was the rain itself. I'm not an expert but perhaps it is the rain and any pollutants in the atmosphere reacting with the wax. What part of NY state are you in? What is the pollution levels like? Do you live near any industrial areas?

When waxing just make sure that you are removing all the excess wax. The thing with waxing is that if you use a good wax, it doesn't take much to form a layer (more is certainly not better in this case). Use good micro fiber towels when do so. The car should not look hazy or smudgy after waxing. If it does it still has too much wax left over which could be this white film you are talking about. Use bright direct light to check. I have a set of industrial halogen worklamps that I shine on the car while I am working to check for swirls and excess cleaning product residue.

If you think that it is the wax, try another brand the next time and see if this continues to occur. Keep us informed as I am very intrigued now on the cause.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
sure... i'll keep you guys informed about the situation. However, the next time i'll actually have the chance to wax my car is when it starts to get warmer (which is not happening anytime soon)... Spring... Also, i don't think it's caused by any type of pollutants... i live in the suburbs where there is a plethora of trees.... but i won't factor that out.... i think it's because i don't pull enough wax off with the micro fiber towels... but i don't put on a great amount to start with.....we'll see next time .... THANKS everyone!!!

Last edited by Tai230K; 11-25-2002 at 02:32 PM.