Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

what wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:03 PM
gac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500 black/java/2011 Escalade (wifes)
what wax?

Can someone please let me know what waxes etc. I need to get a high gloss on my 02' Black S500? It seems no matter what I use they all seem the same ho hum waxes that never really look so great and wear off after a day or two.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by gac
Can someone please let me know what waxes etc. I need to get a high gloss on my 02' Black S500? It seems no matter what I use they all seem the same ho hum waxes that never really look so great and wear off after a day or two.

Thanks!
Waxing alone will not bring color, brightness and shine to a vehicle; especially black. I own two black vehicles and love them; a 1999 Ford Expedition and an 07 Bluetec; both owned from new. I won't brag about the Bluetec which is new and pics of the vehicle are available in my other threads but as an example I am including a couple of pics of my Expedition with original paintwork ( I have done 120k miles since purchased new in 11/98) and its been on off-road trips, parked on the sand while fishing days on end and its always parked in my drive. I am showing this to give you some inspiration. There are several threads in this forum which show you how to achieve perfection on an overall sound paintwork. Email me if you need specific advice from a paintwork maintenance fanatic.
I never use ZAINO.
Attached Thumbnails what wax?-p1010394.jpg   what wax?-p1010468.jpg  

Last edited by pinebaron; 02-25-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Zaino.......................
Old 02-26-2008, 06:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Best wax or Sealant:
Is there a best? In my opinion- No!

While its true many of the chemicals used in the formulation of car care products are the same (or at least very similar) Having used a variety of different products I can tell one from another and field testing shows that not all have the durability either, some simply out perform others in many categories and react differently when applied to different paint types, paint hardness, colour, or varied paint surface conditions.

Ultimately the best wax or sealant will prove to be the one that best meets its user's objectives. If a product is not working for you experiment until you find one that’s suitable for your needs.

There is no one product that can produce all of the properties for an optically perfect shine, however; for high surface gloss and surface reflectance-a polymer sealant, which also provides durability. Detailing enthusiasts consider shine as only one attribute of a protective wax or sealant. They are equally concerned with; ease of application, resistance to abrasion, atmospheric contamination and weathering.

a) For depth of shine - Carnauba wax (also provides a sacrificial and easily renewable barrier against airborne contaminants (Swissvax, Zymol, Souveran)
b) For clarity - long term durability and protection apply a polymer sealant (Zaino Z2PRO™ + ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive) to a carefully prepared level, clean paint surface.
c) Optically perfect shine – apply a optically clear polymer sealant and add a Carnauba wax, a Glaze or
Zaino Z-8™ Grand Finale Spray Seal as a last step product (LSP).
d) High heat conditions - a polymer sealant, one that includes a UVR protection (Zaino) and a sacrificial wax (Collinite (actually a polymer/wax) Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845)
e) Harsh winter – Klasse All In One (AIO) Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) x 2, Collinite # 845 Liquid Insulator Wax or # 476s Super Doublecoat Auto Wax x 2. If you apply a final layer of wax without buffing it will provide more protection / durability (especial for vehicle storage purposes).

f) The aesthetics of a vehicle appearance is very subjective to say the least, the only best wax or sealant that really matters is what looks 'best' to you and meets the criteria you set for it.

g) The final result can only be as good as the surface it’s applied to. It really is all dependants upon, process over product; 85% preparation, 5% product suitability, 7% application methodology and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder. The other variables are; a detailer’s knowledge of paint type, experience with a given product and skill level and experience with machine polisher.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:44 AM

C 240 4-Matic
Wax

Check out Groitsgarage.com. I use their carnuba wax and it really works well. Doesn't go away quickly, but is a bit more work. The quick shine spray works good to remove light dust etc. between washes. Lots of nice car care products. Not the cheapest, but hey, you have a Benz.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:41 AM

02 E320 Blk, 09 E350 Blk
Can I....

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Best wax or Sealant:
Is there a best? In my opinion- No!

While its true many of the chemicals used in the formulation of car care products are the same (or at least very similar) Having used a variety of different products I can tell one from another and field testing shows that not all have the durability either, some simply out perform others in many categories and react differently when applied to different paint types, paint hardness, colour, or varied paint surface conditions.

Ultimately the best wax or sealant will prove to be the one that best meets its user's objectives. If a product is not working for you experiment until you find one that’s suitable for your needs.

There is no one product that can produce all of the properties for an optically perfect shine, however; for high surface gloss and surface reflectance-a polymer sealant, which also provides durability. Detailing enthusiasts consider shine as only one attribute of a protective wax or sealant. They are equally concerned with; ease of application, resistance to abrasion, atmospheric contamination and weathering.

a) For depth of shine - Carnauba wax (also provides a sacrificial and easily renewable barrier against airborne contaminants (Swissvax, Zymol, Souveran)
b) For clarity - long term durability and protection apply a polymer sealant (Zaino Z2PRO™ + ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive) to a carefully prepared level, clean paint surface.
c) Optically perfect shine – apply a optically clear polymer sealant and add a Carnauba wax, a Glaze or
Zaino Z-8™ Grand Finale Spray Seal as a last step product (LSP).
d) High heat conditions - a polymer sealant, one that includes a UVR protection (Zaino) and a sacrificial wax (Collinite (actually a polymer/wax) Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845)
e) Harsh winter – Klasse All In One (AIO) Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) x 2, Collinite # 845 Liquid Insulator Wax or # 476s Super Doublecoat Auto Wax x 2. If you apply a final layer of wax without buffing it will provide more protection / durability (especial for vehicle storage purposes).

f) The aesthetics of a vehicle appearance is very subjective to say the least, the only best wax or sealant that really matters is what looks 'best' to you and meets the criteria you set for it.

g) The final result can only be as good as the surface it’s applied to. It really is all dependants upon, process over product; 85% preparation, 5% product suitability, 7% application methodology and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder. The other variables are; a detailer’s knowledge of paint type, experience with a given product and skill level and experience with machine polisher.
Hello TOGWT.. Can I apply carnauba wax after using Zaino Z2 & Z6 for better shine??

Btw, Its a blk color...

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-04-2008, 10:34 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Yes, that's what I do (or you could try their Z-8 looks very similar to a wax glow (subjective)
Old 03-12-2008, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
What about applying carnuba wax over klasse AIO and klasse glaze? Would it be worth the trouble? Would it remove the klasse?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think applying a sealant first like the AIO and HGSG is smart because it gives you a strong underlying coat of protection. I also really like to apply a wax on top of the sealant for added gloss and protection. Assuming you're using a carnauba wax you will not remove the underlying coat of Klasse products. Let me know if you have any other questions, or if you need additional recommendations.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-13-2008, 05:55 PM

C55, w211 E55, ML320 CDI
You get a great shine from paint correction done by (machine) during polishing. Paint prep prior to glaze/sealant/wax application is paramount to getting incredible results.

Mezerna makes the best poilishes in the world and some specifically made for and used by Mercedes. I would highly suggest PO106ff for minor swirls and SIP (Super Intensive Polish) for more intense scratches and swirling. If the imperfections in the paint aren't removed, you will not get that showroom shine because the paint won't reflect properly.

Jetseal109 is THE best sealant. Pinnacle souveran is a good wax as is Chemical Guys 50/50 or Pete's 53. Lusso Oro I have heard is excellent as well.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:25 PM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
I think applying a sealant first like the AIO and HGSG is smart because it gives you a strong underlying coat of protection. I also really like to apply a wax on top of the sealant for added gloss and protection. Assuming you're using a carnauba wax you will not remove the underlying coat of Klasse products. Let me know if you have any other questions, or if you need additional recommendations.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Klasse Sealant Glaze is a sealant. I believe that sealants need to set up for 12 hours before wax application or some of the sealant will be removed. Greg, Jon what do you guys think?

-Dave
Old 03-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GL Troll
Klasse Sealant Glaze is a sealant. I believe that sealants need to set up for 12 hours before wax application or some of the sealant will be removed. Greg, Jon what do you guys think?

-Dave
Dave,

The Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (aka HGSG) is a sealant. Ideally you would want to wait 12+ hours for any sealant to fully cure before applying another coat of sealant or wax. I suggest waiting a bare minimum of one hour but twelve+ would be more ideal. The HGSG looks outstanding for a sealant in my opinion. It gives a great deep gloss and looks really reflective. It is also one of the strongest forms of protection I've ever used. The only major downside is that it is a little more challenging to remove. Apply the product very thin and you may want to use a little quick detailer during the removal process with a microfiber towel. Let me know if you would like any more information.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-15-2008, 05:05 PM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 AM

Kawasaki
Originally Posted by gac

Thanks!
Keep in mind that 80-90% of the gloss, durability and color depth comes from properly polishing the paint and taking out as many swirl marks, scratches and contaminants as safely possible, without risking damage to the clear coat. The other 10-20% is application of sealants and/or waxes.

I would highly suggest investing in a properly done detail (please search for a quality detailer before taking your car to a local car wash and getting a full detail for $100)
Old 03-26-2008, 07:29 PM

Meguiars # 16

I have a brand new can of Meguairs # 16 professional paste wax if somebodys interested.Best wax made and you cannot find it in the U.S......PM if you would like to buy
Old 03-27-2008, 07:41 AM

08' BMW AW 335i
As for waxes, I'm a fan of all chemical guys products. Especially if you are looking for long times protection and a nice shine, CG 5050's is the product to get. If you do want that extra time, I would say seal the car with either CG Jetseal or Wet Shine and then throw a coat of wax on after, let it set, and wipe it off. Works like magic.