Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

E500 Wheels - paint damage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 sedan(saloon)
Unhappy E500 Wheels - paint damage?

Hi all. I just bought my first Mercedes ('05 E500 silver/champagne 30K miles) this weekend and am loving it!

After my usual surf-the-net-for-every-accessory excursion, found this forum and I'm so glad it exists... I now have plans to install Sirius and Nav myself.

Anyway... back to to topic. The only imperfection I've found on the whole vehicle is the wheel finish. I thought a toothbrush and detergent would have it fixed in a flash, but apparently not.

There are areas that look almost oil stained... mildly blackened streaks that won't go away, but more concerning are areas that look like the silver paint on the alloy and been worn away (how could this happen?!?).

I'm going to try and attach some pics. Any ideas?

If my wheel finish is shot, what's the chances of my warranty covering that?

Thanks all!

Cheers,
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails E500 Wheels - paint damage?-img_4873s.jpg   E500 Wheels - paint damage?-img_4874s.jpg   E500 Wheels - paint damage?-img_4875s.jpg  
Old 03-31-2008, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I had similar damage on my Jag S-Type R's wheels. That damage is most likely caused by an acidic wheel cleaner and your odds are very slim that the dealer is going to do anything for you. Most wheel shops will completely refurbish OEM wheels for about 150-200 per wheel.

Or you might want to look into aftermarket wheels at this point. Check the classifieds on this board or talk to Derrick at D2 Autosport.

To give you an idea, I just sold the wheels in my sig with 2 additional spares for 999.00 and that included tires. Deals can be had on used wheels.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 sedan(saloon)
Thanks for the info!

Ouch... some people just don't read the instruction labels I guess!! I've used the acidic cleaner briefly on chrome wheels before, but knowing what it can do to your fingers (envisage me running round the house shouting "Owww, f**k, ouch!) I rarely used it. Would never use it on laquered wheels.

Luckily, the car came with a spare set of "summer" wheels which are chrome 5-spokes, so I will probably keep the "winter" wheels for the moment since the Colorado mag-chloride roads don't do them any favours anyway.

BTW, love the rims in your sig!

Cheers,
Rich.