Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

window tint checker board look

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008 | 04:32 PM

CLS63, GLK350
window tint checker board look

Dealer tinted the windows on my 2008 SL550 in Jan. and it has that checker board look in some light. What i mean is it is darker and then lighter like dot's uniformly all over the windows. I've cleaned them on the inside with just water and a micro towel still looks the same in certain light. I've noticed this on other cars is this normal or do they need to redo the tint or is there a cleaner that will remove this checker board look?
Old 04-10-2008 | 12:38 PM

Found On Road Dead
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Dealer tinted the windows on my 2008 SL550 in Jan. and it has that checker board look in some light. What i mean is it is darker and then lighter like dot's uniformly all over the windows. I've cleaned them on the inside with just water and a micro towel still looks the same in certain light. I've noticed this on other cars is this normal or do they need to redo the tint or is there a cleaner that will remove this checker board look?
It the glass itself, looks like spots all over it and easier to see from an angle. The film highlights this problem as well as scratches you never seen before. There is nothing you could do besides changing the glass or removing the film. The benefits of the film should out weigh the looks of it, if you could over look it keep it on to protect you and the interior.
Old 04-10-2008 | 01:55 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by NSTint
It the glass itself, looks like spots all over it and easier to see from an angle. The film highlights this problem as well as scratches you never seen before. There is nothing you could do besides changing the glass or removing the film. The benefits of the film should out weigh the looks of it, if you could over look it keep it on to protect you and the interior.
I've seen a lot of cars like this. Did not know MB glass had the feature thanks for the reply
Old 04-11-2008 | 12:23 AM

Found On Road Dead
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
I've seen a lot of cars like this. Did not know MB glass had the feature thanks for the reply
I just seen a car like this the other day and I can't remember what it was, but it's pretty rare to see. I'll see what I could find out about it and update this post when I do.
Old 04-11-2008 | 08:14 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Try this website - Tint Dude - http://www.tintdude.com
Old 04-11-2008 | 08:37 AM

08 M5, 06 X3, 05 C55
The problem is that you obviously didn't tint it dark enough. get 20% = problem solved.

but seriously, did you have sunglasses on by any chance? on my older car, it was much more noticable when i have my polarized sunglasses on. otherwise not so much.
Old 04-21-2008 | 08:51 PM

ML 350-Black=Sold. New 08 C300 4Matic, Black/Black, P1, Ipod, Auto7speed, 10/10 hit 100,000 miles
it could be the polarization differences in the glass and the tint, similar to when you look at auto glass with polarized sunglasses.