Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Has anyone tried Pittman's Original One Step head light cleaner?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl65 amg
Originally Posted by Tommymommy
Purchased this product for use on my Prius headlights. Really had high hopes for this product.

It came in a 2cc bottle for $21.99. I used it on my '02 Saturn headlights that were very yellow & cloudy. Pretty impressed! Then I tried it on the white opaque spots on the Prius lenses. Not so impressive. It would not remove all the "oxidation" no matter what I did & it left swirly areas that looked oily.

I also tried it on my '06 Prius, too. Now, I admit I wasn't expecting much because my husband had already had these lenses restored, using the older methods, a couple of years ago. Pittman's did remove some of the new oxidation, but again, it failed to remove it all.

I don't know about their 50 vehicle claim, either. After treating these 3 cars, the bottle is almost empty and the lenses still have cloudy areas. Maybe the Prius lenses are a different type of plastic? I don't know. Can't really explain why it appeared to work so well on the Saturn lenses, but not as well on the Prius lenses.
It works on all of the cars we get on our lot w/oxidation. The only time it didn't work for me was if someone had already tried cleaning them prior w/something else that abrased them, but other than that one instance alr has been solid gold for this used car salesman.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 AM

cl65 amg
Vaporwax

I'm using Vaporwax on my cl65 and it's been impressionante! I get a deep dark shine in about 10 mins or so. I had been using regular wax until a buddy showed me this stuff, thought it wouldn't last long but it did. No complaints here.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:51 PM

none
Update on Pittman products, The original seller is back on eBay. The home site is still at ibc34
http://www.ibc34.com/Onestep.html
Direct questions to:
Admin@ibc34.com
FYI Best prices on home site.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:36 AM

2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
Thanks. Came here looking for advice in clearing up my headlights and got confused after the back and forth on page 1. I will keep searching.

Originally Posted by babyman1737
Just leave sidwynder.

Many members on this board, including myself, are here to help unsuspecting mbworld members. I became interested in your product and did some research of my own. I now have a personal vendetta, to pass my knowledge of your product in every thread that it is mentioned in from now on.

Your products have no credibility. Just leave. I will be sure to watch this section of the forum to put my $0.02 in every thread you post that would mislead someone into purchasing your un-credible product.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:59 PM

all kinds
Its snake oil........

First off..yes..i only registered to reply in this thread...

Why?..because i have been wondering the net doing a little research on this JUNK that my sister inlaw bought into recently...and came across this one in a google search...

She bought it to use on her 2005 impala..she bought into the "snake oil tactics" on the eBay site...

She recently brought it to me and asked if she was doing something wrong because it only lasted at most a month after each application..bottom line,,i told her the"problem" is she bought into the common "snake oil" marketing tactics...

I restore,customize,body work,mechanical..etc all type of vehicles..including the body work and paint..and will tell you NONE of these "One step" type headlight restorers work,only a very short time covering it up,if you want the same result for a lot less money,wipe some motor oil on the headlights and see how clear they are until it washes away...

You can't "solve" a problem by covering it ut temporarily,you have to RID the problem first,and that means get rid of the oxidation first,by wet sanding,fine grit buff...etc...THEN protect it...there is no way around it,the VERY best way is to wet sand them to a polish with up to 2000 grit or higher ..and then use an adhesion promoter and spray them with a good 2 part urethane clear...they'll never chalk or fade again........

no matter what you use,the problem needs to be REMOVED first..the ONLY coating besides a 2 part urethane i have ever been impressed with ,is Optimum Opti-lens.
I have no affiliate with this product..nor will i even offer a link..etc..i am just telling what i seen it do and how long it lasts..but its pricy,about 60.00 for the kit..
But you still need to get rid of the problem FIRST.

And the "snake oil" tactics that this sidwynder charachter and his Pitman buddies use is saying that by sanding and/or buffing removes the UV coating on the plastic lenses is bad news?....get real!!!..that very coating is ALREADY DAMAGED AND GONE at this point!!

And here's a lesson for you sidwynder..the UV INHIBITER is IMBEDDED into the clear plastic itself.it's a polycarbonate,same process as used in safety glasses used on jobsites to prevent UV weld flash...

Take a real good look at Sidwynder's very first post about he claims he "just found this product and used it"..then throughout the rest of the thread he goes into very fine details about how use the product,and the places to buy it..etc etc...i mean come on dude..do you really think folks with any type of common sense can't see your promoting the product as a profit,or even yet..you work for them or own it?...GUILTY!!

And as for eBay feedback..you only have so many days to place any type of feedback after you bought something...so when it's used and looks pretty good for a short time and then sooner than later the headlights look the same it did as before using the product..it's too late to give an honest feedback for the JUNK.
And the website is easy..i own several also,and know how easy it is to either delete or not even post some true reviews of a product..
I also know the trick of using buddy's stealth eBay accounts to bring up a positive feedback count....
So don;t even go there with me about all the"positive reviews on the webstie and eBay seller account.

This stuff is JUNK..if you want a cheaper product that works just as long?..i have a few bottles of hydraulic fluid for my tube benders i use for roll cages and chassis's i'll sell you on the cheap!!

Last edited by Fendgtars; 07-02-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:38 AM

toyota
Originally Posted by Fendgtars
First off..yes..i only registered to reply in this thread...i'll sell you on the cheap!!

Sounds like some pretty amazing headlight cleaner you use, I never heard of a product that advertises you can use just one time and the oxidation never comes back. You'd think the auto industry would be using that 2 part urethane clear spray on protection process you're talking about and end oxidation forever. Your sister in law should have came to you first, especially since you are the professional in the family.

Last edited by percyey8; 07-12-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:17 AM

all kinds
Originally Posted by percyey8
Sounds like some pretty amazing headlight cleaner you use, I never head of a product that advertises you can use just one time and the oxidation never comes back. You'd think the auto industry would be using that 2 part urethane clear spray on protection process you're talking about and end oxidation forever. Your sister in law should have came to you first, especially since you are a professional in the family.
first..i never claimed i use a certain "headlight cleaner" at all...i remove the oxidation by wet sanding to good clean plastic and polish them,then use an adhesion promoter and a good Urethane clear 2 part.........

You would also "think" the auto industry would do a lot of things to make a vehicle last longer without having to spend money on them in the future..or better yet,,have to buy another vehicle from them.....one of the "funniest" claims i have seen the auto industry claim is,actualy writing in their maintenance manuals that you you never have to change auto transmission fluid under 100,000 miles or some claim "never"!...i don't care if you have the worlds best built transmission in the world,ALL transmission fluid starts breaking down at 15-30k miles depending on the driving conditions and heat.....but transmission shops LOVE it!

Anytime you see a "miracle" product,just using good common sense will tell you it's snake oil salesmanship.........
If this crap was soooooo good,,then we have found the miracle product to never have to re-paint a car again!..just wipe on the old dry chalked peeling paint and be new again!!...but wait..common sense would tell you ,you have to remove the old failing coat of paint or clear coat to get to a good surface to work with first right?....need i say more about this turd snake oil for headlights?

And my sister in-law is married to a Nuclear Power Plant engineer here at Plant Vogtle in Waynesboro Georgia..and it was his idea to use it..need i say more?...lmao

I have done several headlights for folks with the SPI clear coat in the past 10 years or so..and have yet to see one oxidize,fade or anything....including my 2000 F250,and my old 97 F150 that i sold to a buddy who uses it for his auto body shop truck and still looking like new...........and i live in south Gerogia where anything fades and chaks up in a VERY short time because the sun is killer here...

I only spoke of the Optimum Opti-lens for the fact i've seen shops use them and as far as i have seen they have had no returns of having to do them again..YET..but thats only about 2 years at most since i first seen it used.and again,its NOT a "wipe n go" claim,.,they clearly tell you you have to get the oxidation off first....

I still really do laugh a the claim the headlights have a "UV Coating" on them..lmao..its a Polycarbanate IN the whole plastic and once it breaks down on the outside it chalks and fades and has to be removed to RID the bad...Gotta love the "armchair wizards" with these snake oil products you see all the time with their crazy off the wall theories to make a sale...a little common sense goes a long ways when seeing them...

Last edited by Fendgtars; 07-12-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:10 PM

toyota
.i remove the oxidation by wet sanding to good clean plastic and polish them,then use an adhesion promoter and a good Urethane clear 2 part.........
one of the "funniest" claims i have seen the auto industry claim is,actualy writing in their maintenance manuals that you you never have to change auto transmission fluid under 100,000 miles or some claim crazy off the wall theories to make a sale...a little common sense goes a long ways when seeing them...
'
I think "off the wall theory" might be a bit inaccurate.
Nissan claims their fluid outlasts the transmission fluid used in American cars and trucks.
The transmissions don't have filters to change and only need fluid changes around 95,000 miles but Nissan say unless your trans is loosing fluid, it is not necessary. I know people with Toyota and Nissan whose cars are over 10 years old and never changed their fluid.
When it comes to common sense, it changes with the times so we can expect some confusion while sorting out the facts.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:29 AM

all kinds
Originally Posted by percyey8
'
I think "off the wall theory" might be a bit inaccurate.
Nissan claims their fluid outlasts the transmission fluid used in American cars and trucks.
The transmissions don't have filters to change and only need fluid changes around 95,000 miles but Nissan say unless your trans is loosing fluid, it is not necessary. I know people with Toyota and Nissan whose cars are over 10 years old and never changed their fluid.
When it comes to common sense, it changes with the times so we can expect some confusion while sorting out the facts.
all domestic and foreign manufacturers have claimed the same..i'll beleive the guys who actualy work on them and see the damage before i will the auto manufacturers...

"off the Wall theory" is very accurate,,my wife is a white hat internet marketer,and she has to deal with black hat marketers...if you don't know the difference,..a white hat does everything on the legite and honestly..a black hat is totaly dishonest,cheats the system,scams and lies to make a sale or get traffic to their sales page or "funnel"....

and by the way,by changing someone's "quote" or web page example to suite your needs or confuse people is one of the "black hat tricks"

For example...you changed my paragraph from....
"one of the "funniest" claims i have seen the auto industry claim is,actualy writing in their maintenance manuals that you you never have to change auto transmission fluid under 100,000 miles or some claim "never""""

To...
one of the "funniest" claims i have seen the auto industry claim is,actualy writing in their maintenance manuals that you you never have to change auto transmission fluid under 100,000 miles or some claim crazy off the wall theories to make a sale...a little common sense goes a long ways when seeing them...
Nice try though!!

and thats twice you've done that by quoting me and changing the sentence...do you have some "interest" in this snake oil product too?

And this whole thread was started to help drive traffic and people to the sales page and get paid a commision for one or more of several things..payed by click per action,in other words payed if the person went through your funnel or "IP ID" and actualy bought the product...paid by click,generaly only pennies per click..or the actual owner of the product to drive traffic to their sales page..it's also very easy to use a VPN(Vitual Private Network) to hide your IP from forums and blogs..etc so you can "seem" to be a totaly different person,but yet the same person....am i hitting home on this yet?

So i know the off the wall theories well and dirty tricks because my wife deals with those idiots all the time ..a lot of people fall for them because people know no better,they take advantage of that..

Last edited by Fendgtars; 07-13-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:34 AM

toyota
So i know the off the wall theories well and dirty tricks because my wife deals with those idiots all the time ..a lot of people fall for them because people know no better,they take advantage of that..

What are you talking about?