Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Just got a new SL, how to take care of it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL550
Just got a new SL, how to take care of it?

I just got an 08 SL550 and I'd like to know how to take care of it. Should I use a sealant now or further down the line? How often should I wash and wax?

I'm planning on getting a clear bra on the car...Should I used sealant on the car before I get the clear bra installed?

Thanks,
slowroll
Old 04-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations on your new vehicle!!! I would apply some form of protection as soon as possible. The sooner you apply it the better the surface will be preserved.

Here are three products I recommend to anyone with a new vehicle and other tips:

303 Fabric Guard
303 Aerospace Protectant
Chemical Guys Jetseal 109

The 303 Fabric Guard will help preserve the carpets/mats. Just spray it on and you're all done. This will help prevent staining and keep the carpets looking like new. It's also really good at making future cleanings easier.

The 303 Aerospace Protectant will help you block out harmful UV rays which causes fading on vinyl, rubber, plastic and coated/synthetic leather. I spray 1 - 2 mists on a clean microfiber towel and wipe down the doors, dashboard, console area, arm rests, rubber moldings, engine bay and seats. It's very versatile and highly effective. Best of all it leaves a low gloss / matte finish so it doesn't have that thick oily or greasy feel to it.

Jetseal 109 is arguably one of the best forms of protection for your exterior paint. It's an outstanding sealant that provides a solid 4 - 6 months of protection. It's easy to apply and looks fantastic on any color. You can apply this before or after you get the clear bra. You can also apply it right on top of the clear bra for added protection, if desired. I would recommend applying it at least once every four months.

If you want even more depth and gloss on your paint layer a wax on top of a sealant. Waxes only protect for about 2 - 8 weeks but should make the paint look really deep and wet. I would recommend you get the Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax or the Chemical Guys 50/50 Wax. Both are outstanding and will really make the paint look stunning. You can apply this wax as frequently as you like. To maintain a fresh coat look and feel I would re-apply it 2 - 4 weeks. However as long as you applied the Jetseal 109 first you'll still be protected.

One other step I really like to mention is to watch your washing and drying process. This is the step where most swirls and ultra fine scratches are introduced to the clear coat. Using the right technique and tools is essential to safe washings. If you need product recommendations I suggest looking at our Washing and Drying Starter Kit. It has everything you need to wash your vehicle safely and effectively.

If you need directions or other detailing information please check out our Detailing Guide. If I can help you any further or provide more details on this information please let me know. Congratulations again and I hope your enjoying new vehicle!

Greg @ Detailed Image

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Almost a Member!

SL550
Thanks Greg! Does it make a difference that the car is black on black?

I'm going to order a few things...

Last edited by slowroll; 04-21-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Banned

It's not a huge difference, all the products I listed will work well on any color. The waxes will look exceptionally great on darker colors! For the interior it's really important to apply a UV Protectant to avoid slow fade and discoloration on the interior, especially as we approach warmer weather. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thank you in advance I greatly appreciate your support!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Almost a Member!

SL550
Hi Greg,
I haven't had a chance to buy any of the products you mentioned. But I'm not ready as my job is slowing down. Any changes to the recommendations?

slowroll

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
It's not a huge difference, all the products I listed will work well on any color. The waxes will look exceptionally great on darker colors! For the interior it's really important to apply a UV Protectant to avoid slow fade and discoloration on the interior, especially as we approach warmer weather. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thank you in advance I greatly appreciate your support!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

Those are still some of my favorite products that will help clean and protect your car. The steps are great ways to keep the vehicle in excellent condition. Let me know if I can provide any more information or advice.

Greg @ Detailed Image