Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Detailing a Freshly Painted Car

Old 05-06-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing a Freshly Painted Car

The bumper and some other minor parts on my car have been painted and i wanted to know if its OK to go ahead and have the car detailed. Does a certain time period need to pass before a painted part should be polished/waxed?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's typically recommended to wait 30 - 90 days before applying any wax, sealant or other product with protective characteristics. This gives the paint enough time to let out solvents that would otherwise be trapped in the clear coat if you wax, seal, etc. The only way that I know there is less time needed is if the paint was baked after it was applied. This is only common on brand new cars on the assembly line, pretty uncommon for most body shops.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-06-2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
It's typically recommended to wait 30 - 90 days before applying any wax, sealant or other product with protective characteristics. This gives the paint enough time to let out solvents that would otherwise be trapped in the clear coat if you wax, seal, etc. The only way that I know there is less time needed is if the paint was baked after it was applied. This is only common on brand new cars on the assembly line, pretty uncommon for most body shops.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thanks Greg. How do you recommend I take care of the car during the 30-90 day period? It's black and it will have lots of swirl marks if i dont use any protective products.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:55 PM

1957 Chevy
The addition of a wax or sealant to your finish doesn’t protect it from swirls. Some wax will make the paint look nice due in part to the ability to fill swirls.

Your car can be completely detailed ASAP. The paint can be polished as well. As a matter of fact the bodyshop that painted you car have probably polished the freshly painted panels already.

Detail your paint as you normally would with the exception of topping the fresh paint with wax. Use a glaze instead. As stated above wait 90 days before waxing the refinished panels.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:36 AM

Kawasaki
+1 to what Jose said... many people misinterpret the function of the wax/sealant on the paint... most are there to protect against UV rays, rain leaving waterspots, bird sh*t etching itself into the paint QUICKER (I say quicker because bird **** is pretty much the worst thing that can happen to your paint, and it WILL go through wax into the paint, just not as fast)... wax will not help avoid swirls whatsoever during those improper washing and drying sessions
Old 05-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thuged_out
Thanks Greg. How do you recommend I take care of the car during the 30-90 day period? It's black and it will have lots of swirl marks if i dont use any protective products.
Unfortunately there is not much you can do to protect your paint during this time. Your best bet is to wash/dry with extreme caution. Swirls are most commonly introduced during the washing and drying process, when improper tools and techniques are used. If you need some help with your washing and drying process please visit our Washing and Drying Guide. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image