Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

stupid clay bar question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
stupid clay bar question

OK, I typed this once and "lost" it, so here goes again.

I have a stupid clay bar question. I have read the sticky, I have clay barred twice in the past, I have read Autopia briefly, and I still have this question. Actually two of them. I hope you gurus can help me!

First. When using the clay bar (or 1/2 or 1/4 of it), and you do a panel/section (some after a 2X2 section), most people recommend folding the clay bar to obtain a fresh edge. OK, how on earth do you do this? Ball it up, flatten it out and fold it? Fold it once lengthwise, and again widthwise?

Second, if you do this as often as experienced people suggest, how many times until your re-folding exposes an area you think is fresh, but is actually a previously exposed and used side that in now re-exposed since this is the umpteenth time you've folded it. I mean, with a 2X2 section fold, you fold this thing twice every 2X2 foot section. You would clay almost 4 sections on the roof alone, with a total of 8 folds for only a 1/4 of this bar-of-soap sized clay bar. You've *got to* re-expose a section somewhere along the way.

How do you avoid this, or am I missing something very basic which is throwing my whole process for a loop?

Thanks,

EDJ
Old 12-28-2002, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asdf
Talking

I've skimmed through your post but there's a lot of math in there and it's 4:44 in the morning and I'm kind of tired. I get the gist of what you're saying, and yes, just flatten it like playdough and fold it one time over. I've clayed at least 8 cars with one clay bar and I STILL use it. I don't think that reusing it multiple times will retard the effect of the bar, but if you're in doubt and MIGHT scratch your car, you might as well spend $30 and buy a new bar. Better safe than sorry. BTW instead of all the mathematical inserts in there, you should've just asked "how many times can I use the bar before it gets totally saturated with dirt?" or something like that, that way those who aren't mathematicians will understand.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:53 AM

asdf
oh yeah by the way, NO QUESTION IS STUPID. If you learn something new, it's not stupid.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:17 AM

2003 E320
clay

1) how i fold the clay bar. i take the clay bar and make it pretty flat. i clay a small area. then i fold the clay bar in half (so now it's only 1/2 the size that it was before but twice as thick). then i use my thumbs to flatten out the clay bar again back to original size. my thumbs get tired after maybe 10 times or so of folding and flatting so sometimes rather than using my thumbs, i use my knuckles to flatten.

2) after awhile, you should see some dirt even if you fold. at that point, throw away the clay. for me, just to be safe, i buy clay magic clay bar, cut it into 1/4, clay the entire car with it, and then throw it out. that way i'm only spending $10 every 4 times i clay (assuming i never drop the clay on the ground - immediate garbage if i do that).

hope that helped.

Rock.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: clay

Originally posted by Rock72
1) how i fold the clay bar. i take the clay bar and make it pretty flat. i clay a small area. then i fold the clay bar in half (so now it's only 1/2 the size that it was before but twice as thick). then i use my thumbs to flatten out the clay bar again back to original size. my thumbs get tired after maybe 10 times or so of folding and flatting so sometimes rather than using my thumbs, i use my knuckles to flatten.

2) after awhile, you should see some dirt even if you fold. at that point, throw away the clay. for me, just to be safe, i buy clay magic clay bar, cut it into 1/4, clay the entire car with it, and then throw it out. that way i'm only spending $10 every 4 times i clay (assuming i never drop the clay on the ground - immediate garbage if i do that).

hope that helped.

Rock.

big rocky has moved up
Old 12-30-2002, 02:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i'm gonna go out to pep boys or autozone soon to get some clay bars.. n e specific model u suggest?
Old 12-30-2002, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
Post Yep

Yep, since you asked for suggestions...

I used an autozone one the other day on my wife's car. (blue clay magic or something like that). I didn't care for it.

Used Z-18 (Zaino's claybar) on my car this past Saturday, and I loved it (except for all that @#$%^& repeated folding over and over and over to expose fresh clay). Plus, use AlBoston's lube recommendation of 1 oz Magueir's Gold Shampoo to 16 oz warm water. Use liberally. Fold clay bar regulalry.

Remember to clay in the optically optimum method. Front to back on top facing surfaces, straight vertical on flat panel surfaces.

Wear a back brace, sit on an upside bucket, or pop a few Doan's pills as preventative measures

Good Luck!

EDJ
Old 12-30-2002, 07:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
well i can't order online so i'll get the autozone one prolly tomm

btw, what do u mean wear a back brace and stuff? would i have to?
Old 12-30-2002, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by vraa
well i can't order online so i'll get the autozone one prolly tomm

btw, what do u mean wear a back brace and stuff? would i have to?
hes just joking
Old 01-01-2003, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Originally posted by bmms8
hes just joking
It might be funny to you younger guys, but I had my upside down bucket, took aspirin, and my back still hurt the next day after a whole day with the Zaino. It was worth it though.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by ima55r2
It might be funny to you younger guys, but I had my upside down bucket, took aspirin, and my back still hurt the next day after a whole day with the Zaino. It was worth it though.

sorry, i really did think you were joking, i also felt pains, but i did a little excercise in the morning, i think that helped me, sorry about that though
Old 01-01-2003, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
yeah...

the best back pain preventative measure is being under 25 lol!

EDJ
<a wicked 33 years old!>