Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Should I give tip after car wash??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240
Should I give tip after car wash??

saw someone did today...
Should I??

(i am talking about the free car wash I got from dealer)

Last edited by CarlssonPower; 12-29-2002 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
yes
Old 12-28-2002, 08:55 PM

2002 C240
Really? I thought the guy who returns my car is not the guy who washed it..
humm.. if I should give tip, how much should I give??

Last edited by CarlssonPower; 12-28-2002 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Tip as much as you feel comfortable with and depending on how good the wash is. Just make sure it gets to the people who actually wash the car.

They will remember your car, especially since you have mods. If you never tip, they won't do as good of a job. If you're a good tipper, they will remember and be more willing to give you a good wash.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At MB of Laguna Niguel your claim ticket says not to tip so I don't. I watched and most people don't tip, only very few.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
On my one and only trip to Laguna Niguel. When I first arrived for my free car wash I watched some "lady" with an S-class b!tching up a storm about how bad the wash job was. Even had them bring out the service manager and made them wash it again. ( I thought the car looked great). While waiting for my car, hers was finished again, and she was still complaining.

Of course, she didn't tip.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:39 AM
Banned

W203
Car washes

Are car washes available at all MB dealers for free? I bought my "C" @ Laguna Nigel and I live in San Diego, so for the free car wash i ain't willing to drive that far. Can i go to Escondido or San Diego MB? Thanks!?
Old 12-29-2002, 01:53 AM

CLK320, Carrera S
One of my first jobs was pumping gas and fitting tires for very low $ I worked hard for my money looked forward to climbing the earnings ladder and always remembered the people who tipped me.

Now I drive a Benz and am grateful that I can easily afford it so I make a point of tipping people in service jobs quite well (car washes, valet parking, waiters...).

As for people who get there $50k plus cars cleaned by people making $5/hr and not giving them a break, no class, what more can I say!
Old 12-29-2002, 03:14 AM

'03 c320wz
i feel that way also. tip people if they do a good job and show you respect

Last edited by tom incredibie; 12-29-2002 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:23 AM

C32 AMG
Carlssonpower, i think i saw you driving today in Tarzana. I was like damn thats a clean looking c-class. Was that you? I was just enjoying my meal at the Tarzana armenian deli.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:21 AM

2002 C240
Originally posted by AMGDood
Carlssonpower, i think i saw you driving today in Tarzana. I was like damn thats a clean looking c-class. Was that you? I was just enjoying my meal at the Tarzana armenian deli.
Which city are you locate at? I am in orange county.. =)
Old 12-29-2002, 05:23 AM

2002 C240
Re: Car washes

Originally posted by .elijah.
Are car washes available at all MB dealers for free? I bought my "C" @ Laguna Nigel and I live in San Diego, so for the free car wash i ain't willing to drive that far. Can i go to Escondido or San Diego MB? Thanks!?
My dealer (Flecher Jones at Newport beach) said I only get free car wash if I buy the car from them. And that is one of the reason why I bought my car there since that's the closest dealer near me. I also get to enjoy few cup of coffee while i am waiting for the wash and grab a couple bottle of mercedez brand water when I left..

Last edited by CarlssonPower; 12-29-2002 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Anybody that takes his car for repair at my dealer, gets a free car wash. No tips tough.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

At my dealer, "free" car washes are part of a $595 package. I don't remember the other items in the package, but it wasn't worth $595. Also, it is at least an hour and a half round trip to the dealer from home or work and the service department isn't open late or on weekends. Taking half a day off to have a "free" swirl application seems to be rather foolish.:p

The do wash the car free after service visits, but the one time I had the car in, they managed to put scratches down the center of the hood during the wash. I looks like someone dropped the towel, the picked it up and made one final swipe down the hood. I will not let them wash it again. The other dealer has one of those automatic washes which flails the dirt of the car with towels attached to drums rotating at high speed.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
MB of Laguna Niguel

MBLN gives free car washes if you bought your car there (they put a Star Member sticker in the upper right hand corner of your windshield). I've seen the guy do it. He uses a car wash bay set up, and a high powered water hose, like in those drive in bays with the do it yourself set ups.

It usually takes about 30-45 minutes during the week, but on a Saturday, stand by because it will take 90-120 minutes! Very nice waiting area with Flat-screen 52 or 55 inch TV, free coffee/tea/cocoa/water/soda, etc. But not where I would choose to spend a coupla hours on a Saturday when I can do a hose and bucket job myself in an hour, and that includes polishing up the chromies, putting away the buckets, and throwing the towels into the washing machine.

And since it's a volume thing, you KNOW they don't use high quality, non wax stripping soap, so I don't let them wash my car. They can detail the inside when I'm there for service, but I make certain my car comes back to my dirty. I don't want to spend a whole weekend doing the dawn/clay bar/Z7/ZFX/Z2/Z2/Z2 thing again.

EDJ
Old 12-29-2002, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by Lynn
At my dealer, "free" car washes are part of a $595 package. I don't remember the other items in the package, but it wasn't worth $595.
Your dealer is pretty smart. They are selling this package and counting on the fact that some people who buy it won't even use it. And those who do use it probably won't use it enough to make it worth $595. Sounds like a pretty good scheme to make money.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Talking

I agree.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
The dealer in Houston doesn't offer free carwashes unless they do some kind of repair in the car, so I don't tip and I still wouldn't tip, because the money would be for the porters only, they are not the ones that wash the car.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
At my dealer we are not supposed to but I do. When I first bought the car saw the guy run it through the carwash, and take time to clean each rim, and gloss the tires. I gave him 5 bucks for being nice. He remembered that and now when I go in The car gets washed, rims cleaned tired glossed, and the front seats and floorboard vacumed. I always give him 5 bucks, I guess he remembers me and remembers that I tip and takes care of me.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:04 AM

asdf
Penske mercedes in Azusa, Southern California gives free car washes to EVERYONE who has a mercedes. ALl you got to do is pull up in line and wait. They have the BEST service, but their tech's don't seem to be the smartest. My service advisor works on my car even with aftermarket modifications on it. He even went out of his way to make custom blocks so my lowered car could go onto the alignment rack. AND he aligned it for free. NOt to mention they have free foot massages, chef's breakfasts, soft drinks, coffee, juices, muffins, cookies and even a little putting green to practice your golf when you wait.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by henry47
Penske mercedes in Azusa, Southern California gives free car washes to EVERYONE who has a mercedes. ALl you got to do is pull up in line and wait. They have the BEST service, but their tech's don't seem to be the smartest. My service advisor works on my car even with aftermarket modifications on it. He even went out of his way to make custom blocks so my lowered car could go onto the alignment rack. AND he aligned it for free. NOt to mention they have free foot massages, chef's breakfasts, soft drinks, coffee, juices, muffins, cookies and even a little putting green to practice your golf when you wait.
Wow, that is very nice!!!
Old 12-31-2002, 10:31 AM
Out Of Control!

Re: Re: Car washes

Originally posted by CarlssonPower
My dealer (Flecher Jones at Newport beach) said I only get free car wash if I buy the car from them.
Hahaha!! Oh man that was funny! Guess you really liked their service then huh???
Old 12-31-2002, 10:32 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by henry47
HHmmm this sounds like The House Of Imports!
Old 12-31-2002, 01:39 PM

I guess it is not really a free carwash if you have to tip for it. Then again, I am more than happy to tip 25% of the charge ($0). Seriously, this country has gone tip crazy. All it accomplishes is to set up an arbitrary system where the "rich" owner of a company can offer less salary under the assumption that tipping will augment their takehome (possibly with the underhanded implication that the tip could be tax free). I guess similar to the movie "Reservoir Dogs", I am not playing the game. I tip at restaurants (last night my tip was 22%), I will tip the cabbie, my wife will tip her hairdresser, but I am not tipping the Mercedes dealership's car wash guy. If you want us at MBworld.org to write an open letter to MBUSA to explain the stupidity of tipping their car wash guy, I will be happy to sign.

CP
Old 12-31-2002, 04:04 PM

2002 C240
Re: Re: Re: Car washes

Originally posted by JamE55
Hahaha!! Oh man that was funny! Guess you really liked their service then huh???
o well, so far so good.. They took off the the "no phone" message, did the "xenon present" setting, also did the alignment and fix a couple suspenstion problems AFTER I lowered my car which should void the warranty. All for free and no question asked. And all of the service people there showed their respect toward me even I am young. =)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I give tip after car wash??