Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to care for a new S63 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
Greg

Can you recommend a good int and ext QD? There are a ton out there as usual and I can't decide. PBW has like 3 just for the ext.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AustinGuy
Greg

Can you recommend a good int and ext QD? There are a ton out there as usual and I can't decide. PBW has like 3 just for the ext.
We have a lot of great quick detailers (click here) for you to choose from. To help me help you find the best one, I would ask what surfaces are you trying to care for and what are your goals (clean, shine, protection, ease of use, etc.). The more specific you can be the better. Once I have that information I should be able to help in more detail.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Last edited by Greg@DI; 10-02-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:59 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
We have a lot of great quick detailers (click here) for you to choose from. To help me help you find the best one, I would ask what surfaces are you trying to care for and what are your goals (clean, shine, protection, ease of use, etc.). The more specific you can be the better. Once I have that information I should be able to help in more detail.

Greg @ Detailed Image
I have a brand new S63 AMG that's only a month old (pics here). It's 404 Black w/clear coat. So far I've only used the P21S paint cleaner and the P21S Carnauba/Concours Look wax. Have not clayed it - ran my hands over the body and there did not seem to be any spots/bumps. I'ts pretty smooth. The amazing thing about the P21S is that the car literally glows with this deep purplish/black tone. It's amazing.

I'm looking to stock up on the right products. From what I've head/read, Carnauba does not last long and in some cases, could have bad effects if left in the hot TX sun. Not sure if you agree with that.

So what I'm looking to do is put on something (maybe a sealant) that can give me the CLOSEST look to the P21S Carnauba/Concours Look wax. Which prodcut would that be? For an ext. QD, I guess I'm looking for something that will give me the same deep brilliant shine (since I obviously can't wax/seal the car every 3-4 weeks ).

For an int. QD, again, this is an S63 - so I want to make sure I put something on that's not shiny, but gives enough of a satin clean look to the interior vinyl, plastic.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:42 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Greg,

I bought a 16oz bottle of Poorboy's World BnB and was not impressed after I put it on my S63: Initially it did not give out much of a shine - more of a satin look. After about 10 days of use it's pretty much worn off (no rain or bad weather driving - perfectly dry non-dusty conditions). The s63 is new, so I have not really scrubbed the tires - not sure if the product absorbed much into the tire. OTH, when I tried it on my older car (VW) that has 1 yr. old tires and it seemed to produce a slightly deeper shine .......... I wonder why (could be due to more tire side wall)

Is there a better product - one that can give a little more shine but not produce sling or leave an oily residue?

On another note, do you know how to get rid of black discoloration (exhaust residue) on the inside of tail pipes? I'm talking about unfinished portion (interior section) of the S63's quad exhaust, not the chrome tail pipes themselves.

Last edited by AustinGuy; 10-06-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Banned

Greg,

I bought a 16oz bottle of Poorboy's World BnB and was not impressed after I put it on my S63: Initially it did not give out much of a shine - more of a satin look. After about 10 days of use it's pretty much worn off (no rain or bad weather driving - perfectly dry non-dusty conditions). The s63 is new, so I have not really scrubbed the tires - not sure if the product absorbed much into the tire. OTH, when I tried it on my older car (VW) that has 1 yr. old tires and it seemed to produce a slightly deeper shine .......... I wonder why (could be due to more tire side wall)

Is there a better product - one that can give a little more shine but not produce sling or leave an oily residue?

On another note, do you know how to get rid of black discoloration (exhaust residue) on the inside of tail pipes? I'm talking about unfinished portion (interior section) of the S63's quad exhaust, not the chrome tail pipes themselves.
Often time the dealership will use a heavy silicone based dressing so it's possible there is a coating on the tire that prevented the PBW BnB from fully absorbing in the formula. It is a water based formula that is meant to abosrb in to the rubber and actually nourish the rubber. It's durability will vary depending on so many conditions. I suggest cleaning the tires with a good degreaser like the P21S Auto Wash and scrub brush for maximum durability. You may also want to apply multiple coats for maximum shine after the first one has dried. Silicone based dressing will leave a deeper shine but they aren't exactly great for rubber. They don't get absorbed in and are far more likely to sling on to the paint. The Blackfire Long Lasting Tire Gel is a great option for these types of dressings if you're interested in that deeper shine.

For the inside of the tail pipe there isn't there much you can do beside some basic washing. I would suggest the P21S Total Auto Wash here as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-07-2008, 01:00 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Thanks Greg.

Can you respond to post #28 re. the QD's? I also want to add (since I can't edit #28) - for an ext. QD, I'm looking for something that can provide a deep shine as well as protect and clean. I've looked at the PBW and I'm confused by the 3-4 products they carry. I've heard Pinnacle/Wolfgang/Menzerna and Klasse are good, but I'll leave it up to you to recommend what you think will work best.

For int. QD, I'm just looking for the best product out there that will work for my S63's Vinyl, plastic and wood.

Do you have any recommendations for glass cleaners? I have tinted windows. I have used Stoner's IG and have not been impressed. I still see streaking and the outer surfaces of my windshields seem to still have a sticky feel! I sprayed tons of IG on the fron windshield (outer surface) and the microfiber cloth still sticks when I wipe it! Can't figure out why.

Last edited by AustinGuy; 10-07-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

I have a brand new S63 AMG that's only a month old (pics here). It's 404 Black w/clear coat. So far I've only used the P21S paint cleaner and the P21S Carnauba/Concours Look wax. Have not clayed it - ran my hands over the body and there did not seem to be any spots/bumps. I'ts pretty smooth. The amazing thing about the P21S is that the car literally glows with this deep purplish/black tone. It's amazing.

I'm looking to stock up on the right products. From what I've head/read, Carnauba does not last long and in some cases, could have bad effects if left in the hot TX sun. Not sure if you agree with that.

So what I'm looking to do is put on something (maybe a sealant) that can give me the CLOSEST look to the P21S Carnauba/Concours Look wax. Which prodcut would that be? For an ext. QD, I guess I'm looking for something that will give me the same deep brilliant shine (since I obviously can't wax/seal the car every 3-4 weeks ).

For an int. QD, again, this is an S63 - so I want to make sure I put something on that's not shiny, but gives enough of a satin clean look to the interior vinyl, plastic.
Sorry to have missed this post, too many forums and e-mails in a day will do that. I'm glad to hear the paint looks fantastic thus far with the P21S products. Generally there aren't harmful effects of using a carnauba wax. They don't last very long, especially in warm temps so it can melt/evaporate quite quickly. I do recommend applying a sealant at least every three months for a nice shine and longer lasting protection. The Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 is easily one of the most popular sealants out right now. It has a nice deep and warm glow that is more common to carnauba waxes. It applies/removes with ease and protects really long. I also use it on my glass and headlights for added protection and visibility during rain, sleet and snow.

I would then layer the wax on top of it for added shine and protection or you can use a spray on sealant if desired. If you want a spray on product with protection try the Chemical Guys Blitz. It applies a layer of protection and helps give your paint that freshly detailed look.

For the interior the 303 Aerospace Protectant has excellent UV protection and leaves a nice matte finish. I apply one spray to the towel and apply a nice light coating at least once a month. Use it on vinyl, rubber, plastic, leatherette and more. I use it on my doors, console rubber moldings, exterior trim, engine bay, tires and more. Best of all it doesn't leave a thick or oily feeling.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-07-2008, 04:23 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Sorry to have missed this post, too many forums and e-mails in a day will do that. I'm glad to hear the paint looks fantastic thus far with the P21S products. Generally there aren't harmful effects of using a carnauba wax. They don't last very long, especially in warm temps so it can melt/evaporate quite quickly. I do recommend applying a sealant at least every three months for a nice shine and longer lasting protection. The Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 is easily one of the most popular sealants out right now. It has a nice deep and warm glow that is more common to carnauba waxes. It applies/removes with ease and protects really long. I also use it on my glass and headlights for added protection and visibility during rain, sleet and snow.

I would then layer the wax on top of it for added shine and protection or you can use a spray on sealant if desired. If you want a spray on product with protection try the Chemical Guys Blitz. It applies a layer of protection and helps give your paint that freshly detailed look.

For the interior the 303 Aerospace Protectant has excellent UV protection and leaves a nice matte finish. I apply one spray to the towel and apply a nice light coating at least once a month. Use it on vinyl, rubber, plastic, leatherette and more. I use it on my doors, console rubber moldings, exterior trim, engine bay, tires and more. Best of all it doesn't leave a thick or oily feeling.

Greg @ Detailed Image
1) For ext. QD:Okay, you confused me by throwing in the CG product . Between Chemical Guys Blitz and the 3 PWB products (http://www.detailedimage.com/Quick-Detailer-C17/), which one would you recommend? Again, I'm looking for something more for touch up/last minute detailing.

2) For sealant: I have 2 needs right now but can't decide between Menzerna, Klasse and CG:

- 2 yr. old navy blue Lexus GX470: Paint is in good condition but the car needs to be clayed, polished, sealed and waxed. Menzerna is confusing as far as how they name their products. Which one of their polishes has the LEAST amount of abrasive (cutting power?)? The car only has minor swirls - no major scratches, so I'm looking for a polish that almost has more of a waxing property than a polish if you may (hopefully I'm not being too ambiguous). Does that make sense?

- 2 month old S63 AMG: Brand new, so I only need to seal and wax.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Banned

1) For ext. QD:Okay, you confused me by throwing in the CG product . Between Chemical Guys Blitz and the 3 PWB products (http://www.detailedimage.com/Quick-Detailer-C17/), which one would you recommend? Again, I'm looking for something more for touch up/last minute detailing.

2) For sealant: I have 2 needs right now but can't decide between Menzerna, Klasse and CG:

- 2 yr. old navy blue Lexus GX470: Paint is in good condition but the car needs to be clayed, polished, sealed and waxed. Menzerna is confusing as far as how they name their products. Which one of their polishes has the LEAST amount of abrasive (cutting power?)? The car only has minor swirls - no major scratches, so I'm looking for a polish that almost has more of a waxing property than a polish if you may (hopefully I'm not being too ambiguous). Does that make sense?

- 2 month old S63 AMG: Brand new, so I only need to seal and wax.
Sorry for any confusion I'll try and sort some things out for you. We have two sets of products Quick Detailers and Spray on Protection. The Quick Detailers are primarily geared towards helping you clean the paint safely and some of them add a very little shine to the surface. The Spray On Protection products leave a more noticeable coating of wax or sealant. This will add more shine and protection to the surface but they generally don't have the cleaning properties.

For sealants I think you may be slightly confused here as well. True cutting polishes generally don't have any sealant or wax in them. They are strictly for correcting the clear coat and removing imperfections like fine scratches, swirls, oxidation, etc. Sealants and waxes are just for protection and shine.

Menzerna's lightest polish is the PO85RD but that is really light and is used more for jeweling or burnishing the paint after a full detail. I think you would be best off using the Menzerna PO106FF which is also a light polish but with just a little more cutting power. This is probably the most effective one step polish you can use. You can use this on your two year old vehicle and the two month old vehicle.

After you polish the paint you can then protect it with a sealant and/or wax. If you could only pick one product I would select the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109. It seems to have the optimal combination of protection, shine and ease of use amongst most high end detailers I talk to. I also use it and love it!

I hope that clarified things. Let me know if I can help you any further!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-09-2008, 03:38 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Greg,

Thanks.

Is the PO106FA better than the PO106FF for what I need - 1 brand new S63 with no swirls, 1 older Lexus (3 yrs. old) with minimal swirls? Looking at the ad. on DI, I can't figure out what the difference really is.

Also, do these Menzerna polishes need to be applied with a power tool or by hand?

I know I asked for your opinion, but from what I hear, Klasse makes the best sealant. How does it compare with CG's JetSeal 109?
Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Banned

The Menzerna PO106FA and PO106FF are essentially the same product. There was an extremely slight tweaking of the formula that most people can not really detect. Some people have noticed the FA is slightly easier to use and dusts less, but again they are remarkably similar.

These polishes can be applied by hand or with a buffer. A buffer will significantly improve your results because of the increased heat and pressure a buffer can apply. The heat and pressure will break down the polishing particles much better and give you far more cutting power with the same polish. The PC 7424 is a great start and buffer like the Flex or a rotary buffer which will give you results closer to perfection.

The Klasse AIO is a chemical polish and sealant. It applies with ease and helps clean the paint while protecting it. The Klasse HGSG is a pure sealant that provides very strong protection but can be a little stubborn to remove. The Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 is probably a better overall option. It won't clean the surface like the AIO will, but it has more protection and gloss. The Jetseal 109 probably has slightly more protection and gloss than the HGSG but the Jetseal 109 is far easier to use. It depends on your goals but I really like the Jetseal 109.

Greg @ Detailed Image