Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

CLS Care while absent for 4 months

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS500
CLS Care while absent for 4 months

Hey there,

I have a Mercedes CLS 500, 06. With only 14K on it. I also have it serviced almost 2 thousand miles ago.

I have to go abroad for at least 4 months and I am worried that how will I keep the car in a running condition. I was thinking of doing following things

-Disconnect the battery
-Put fuel stabilizer in the tank so that Fuel doesn’t go bad.
-Store it in underground garage with all weather car cover.

Is there anything else I can do to make it sure that when I come back after 4 months, the car start in first go. I do have some one who may be able to come and start the engine for 10ish minutes every 2nd weekish. However, I was hoping I can get away with doing the 2 things mentioned above and not have to depend on some one to take care of the stuff.

Can some one please help me out what should I do and whats the best way to handle this long absence and making sure the car runs optimal when I come back.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
put it

on a battery tender
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292
make sure they disconnect the tender before starting the car and to reconnect it when done.
Put a can of seafoam gas treatment in the tank and fill it completely to avoid condensation in the tank.
Have someone come in and run it to operating temp at least once a month.And while they run it have them turn on the a/c to low temp for a few minutes to keep the a/c system properly lubricated.
Place some rat and mouse traps around the garage if at all likely they may get in through any avenue.Rodents love car wire in the winter and will eat it up if given the opportunity.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
See article "Winter Vehicle Storage" DetailingWiki