Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Menzerna polish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Menzerna polish

I just finished compounding and polishing toaday, i first used the menzerna super instense polish then the po106ff polishing using a rotary for the first time. I was using the lake country 6 1/2in pad, the speed was kept around 1000 to 1400 rpm, it was somtimes jumping around a little especially with the orange pad so i tilted the pad alittle to keep it from jumping around. It had turned out good since it was my first time using a rotary buffer. It removed 80% of the swirls and scratches and the little scratches are only noticable with a halgon lamp. The car is completely dusty and still has lots of polish residue left all over the car. My question is could i rewash the car down with dawn soap so it would be clean for the zaino?

Last edited by JohnnyE63; 02-27-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Originally Posted by JohnnyE63
I just finished compounding and polishing toaday, i first used the menzerna super instense polish then the po106ff polishing using a rotary for the first time. I was using the lake country 6 1/2in pad, the speed was kept around 1000 to 1400 rpm, it was somtimes jumping around a little especially with the orange pad so i tilted the pad alittle to keep it from jumping around. It had turned out good since it was my first time using a rotary buffer. It removed 80% of the swirls and scratches and the little scratches are only noticable with a halgon lamp. The car is completely dusty and still has lots of polish residue left all over the car. My question is could i rewash the car down with dawn soap so it would be clean for the zaino?
I usually use the same combo that you do, and then wash the excess polish off but i'm not sure about using Dawn.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 PM

Dont car washing soap have oil in them? Cause if there is oil then the zaino wouldnt stick on really good.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 PM

Old 02-28-2009, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ryanr317
I usually use the same combo that you do, and then wash the excess polish off but i'm not sure about using Dawn.
Did you use a rotary?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:25 AM

'12 BMW 535i GT 07 GMC Denali 1500
Give a good wash with Z7 and then do a straight IPA wipedown. All of the menzerna polishing oils will be removed, then the surface is ready for zaino.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by JohnnyE63
Dont car washing soap have oil in them? Cause if there is oil then the zaino wouldnt stick on really good.
Wipe-down after Polishing/ Compounding:
This allows you to inspect the surface to determine if the surface is defect free or if further work is required. When polishing or compounding to remove fine swirls or holograms, it's easy for residues to settle in the swirls, hiding the true paint finish. Wiping the finish with a Micro fibre cloth you may feel that the swirls have been removed, only to have them reappear when applying the final wax or sealant. After polishing a section, mist and wipe to fully remove residues and reveal the true paint finish.

1.Polymer sealants will not form a proper monocular bond with a paint surface if there are any oils present and it will affect durability.
2.Silicone will cause surface smearing and will affect durability

a) Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) - fill a fine misting spray bottle with a 8:1 ratio of Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) / distilled water solution spray the paint surface, leave it to dwell for 30-45 seconds, agitate before wiping the paint surface with a clean, dry 100% cotton towel

b) Menzerna Top Inspection (PP95) – use to inspect your work, use this water-based cleaner that removes dust left by compounding and any lubricating oils so you can see the real results of your work. There are no silicones or fillers, just gentle cleaning agents to uncover the real condition of your vehicle’s paint.

c) Hi-Temp's Prep Wash - to prepare a paint surface for polishing, compounding, wax and / or polymer sealant application (especially if changing from a wax to a polymer product) this is a water-based paint cleaner designed to remove all traces of silicone, oil, and buffing residue from any exterior paint surface

d) DuPont PrepSol II™ - http://www.xurex.com/products.html) spray onto a 100% cotton or a micro fibre towel and clean the surface

For more information see articles "Menzerna Polishes & Zaino Application Tips" in the detailing school section of Detailing Bliss forum...
Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 AM

After i compound and polish i rewash with dawn to clean and remove all the oil, is there anything in the polish thats supposed to stay on the car that i probably removed with the dawn wash?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can rewash the paint with a product like the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Clear. This product removes the excess polish, but it also will remove any oils, old wax, sealant, etc. each time you use it. Ironically this product is our daily special, so it's on sale today only at a deep discount.

Another option is to wipe the paint down with a product like the Menzerna Top Inspection or a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl Alcohol. Mist them on the paint and wipe the surface with a clean microfiber towel.

After you are done with either one of these steps you can then seal or wax the paint. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image