Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Maintenance on high polished lips and brushed clear coat center!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Maintenance on high polished lips and brushed clear coat center!

I'm about to have some used HRE C20's totally refinished at HRE. I'm going to have the lips in high polish with no clear coat and the center will be brushed with clear coat. How much maintenance should I expect on the high polish lips? Do most people wax this kind of finish to protect it from brake dust and would it be recommended to change out rims before going to the track? If someone could lead me to the best product for my rims it would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bassn_07
I'm about to have some used HRE C20's totally refinished at HRE. I'm going to have the lips in high polish with no clear coat and the center will be brushed with clear coat. How much maintenance should I expect on the high polish lips? Do most people wax this kind of finish to protect it from brake dust and would it be recommended to change out rims before going to the track? If someone could lead me to the best product for my rims it would be appreciated.
There is a lot of variation with the style of each wheel but generally speaking this is a high maintenance finish if you want them clean and shinny on a regular basis. I generally recommend a pH balanced wheel cleaner that will not tarnish or fade the wheel at all. The P21S Wheel Gel and the Chemical Guys Wheel and Rim Citrus Cleaner are great options for this task.

As for protection I HIGHLY recommend applying at least one coat of the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. This will help prevent brake dust and road grime from bonding to the wheel. It makes future cleanings much easier, so you do less scrubbing, which helps prevent any ultra fine scratches from being added to the wheel.

The Chemical Guys products are on sale (20% OFF) through 3/23/09. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Last edited by Greg@DI; 03-22-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Thanks Greg. I'll be purchasing the items as soon as the seller gets my rims to HRE, don't want to be left hanging if he decides not to go through with the deal.

How often would you recommend cleaning and waxing on a daily driver, summer and winter. During summer I usually wash my car every 2 weeks and winter I'll go a month or so depending on the rain. I'm just trying to get a feel on how much maintenance I should expect. Thanks again Greg, I'll make sure to purchase through Detail Image when the time comes.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Banned

Thanks Greg. I'll be purchasing the items as soon as the seller gets my rims to HRE, don't want to be left hanging if he decides not to go through with the deal.

How often would you recommend cleaning and waxing on a daily driver, summer and winter. During summer I usually wash my car every 2 weeks and winter I'll go a month or so depending on the rain. I'm just trying to get a feel on how much maintenance I should expect. Thanks again Greg, I'll make sure to purchase through Detail Image when the time comes.
Thank you in advance for your support of Detailed Image, it's much appreciated! It's really difficult to say how often you "should" detail the wheels because it depends on so many factors (driving conditions, amount of braking, temperature, etc. etc.) You can do it as often as you would like and certainly the more protection the better. I think a reasonable level of protection would be at least once a month. In the beginning I would monitor the results closely and adjust your routine as needed. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-27-2009, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
There is a lot of variation with the style of each wheel but generally speaking this is a high maintenance finish if you want them clean and shinny on a regular basis. I generally recommend a pH balanced wheel cleaner that will not tarnish or fade the wheel at all. The P21S Wheel Gel and the Chemical Guys Wheel and Rim Citrus Cleaner are great options for this task.

As for protection I HIGHLY recommend applying at least one coat of the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. This will help prevent brake dust and road grime from bonding to the wheel. It makes future cleanings much easier, so you do less scrubbing, which helps prevent any ultra fine scratches from being added to the wheel.

The Chemical Guys products are on sale (20% OFF) through 3/23/09. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image

I'm ready to purchase some products now for my new rims and could use a recommended wheel polish. I will be purchasing Poorboys wheel sealant and P21S wheel cleaner. I will also need a recommendation on how to clean the polished lips, meaning...what type of rags and what kind of process will help avoid scratches? Should I spray the wheel cleaner and let it sit for a while then wipe it down with a MF? Any recommendations you could make would be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Banned

I'm ready to purchase some products now for my new rims and could use a recommended wheel polish. I will be purchasing Poorboys wheel sealant and P21S wheel cleaner. I will also need a recommendation on how to clean the polished lips, meaning...what type of rags and what kind of process will help avoid scratches? Should I spray the wheel cleaner and let it sit for a while then wipe it down with a MF? Any recommendations you could make would be appreciated.
Here is what I typically do. Let the wheel cleaner sit on the wheels for a minute or two and then rinse them off getting rid of the loose contaminants. Apply another coating of the wheel cleaner. Dip a wash mitt (Sheepskin Wash Mitt, lake country blue grout sponge, etc.) in water and agitate stains. Keep rinsing the mitt regularly to clean safely and effectively. For deep cleanings on the wheel I use the P21S Finish Restorer. I apply a small drop on the DI All Purpose Microfiber Towels and buffing it on with light to medium pressure. Then take a clean part of the cloth or a different one and buff off the residue. Then apply your Wheel Sealant for protection. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image