Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Paint Chips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk430 coupe black opal
Paint Chips

Anyone have any feedback on some tiny chips in paint. This drives me crazy. The Mercedes Paint quality leaves a lot to be desired. I hate to try to use any touch up paint. I have 3 real tiny chips in hood.

Thanks

CLK 430 - 2001
Black Opal
Old 01-21-2002, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea its pretty common. I try not to think about it. My Brabus front is literally covered with specks of chipped paint. Not so much on the hood tho.

Only one word to help you out: DENIAL

Old 01-21-2002, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 190E 2.3-16V
paint

yeah man sorry to hear that but it freaken sucks and happens to all of us. What I do it I keep as much wax as possible over the chips to prevent rust and keep a smooth surface. Touch up paint usually doesn't cut it unless you have the right tools. If you use the correct touch up paint i would prep the whole area with alcohol to get ride of any oils or fine dirt and maybe apply a mild primer(this is all very touchy and requires exact perfection to achieve good results) and then apply the paint but be sure to mask off the entire area around the chip with tape if doing the process. I would just keep wax on the area to prevent rust and pray that nothing else happens good luck.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:33 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by jl88
Yea its pretty common. I try not to think about it. My Brabus front is literally covered with specks of chipped paint. Not so much on the hood tho.

Only one word to help you out: DENIAL

jl88

The only good protection that i know of is called StoneGuard. Not really sure if you've heard of this but it's a real thin plastic to cover the front fascia of the car. Cost anywhere from $500-$800 bucks. Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Thumbs up LANGA PAINT SYSTEM

TRY THE LANGA SYSTEM!! IT WORKS!! IT BEATS the blob,colorsand,compound,polish,ZAINO
Old 01-24-2002, 04:31 AM

Yea I heard about Stonguard, after I put about 3000 miles and my bumper was already covered with chips.

I was thinking about getting my bumper repainted in about another year and then get the Stonguard, but they don't make the stonguard for the Brabus front, so mine would have to be custom cut.